Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doing work outside my regular work

• 12-04-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So I work full time as IT Project Manager, but I got option to cover one company which is next to my house with some regular IT Support work, and since I'm working from home it's nice opportunity for extra cash.

My question is can I start working with them and give them invoice from time to time when I do work for them? And how would this affect my current salary and everything? We talk only about around max €8-10k/year extra, nothing much. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

https://www.revenue.ie/en/additional-incomes/is-your-extra-income-taxable/index.aspx

look there for starters
    More or less half will go to the taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sashab

athlone573 wrote: »
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/additional-incomes/is-your-extra-income-taxable/index.aspx

look there for starters
    More or less half will go to the taxman

So I can start working with them normally from today and just give them invoice, and then at the end of year I just need to declare this income on my tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

sashab wrote: »
    So I can start working with them normally from today and just give them invoice, and then at the end of year I just need to declare this income on my tax?

If its a small amount it may be easier getting them to pay you on payroll and they can sort out the Paye and Prsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Whether it's a self-employment or employment depends on how the job fits the criteria. So that's the first stop. You do not automatically become self-employed and it's the company paying for the services that must see if they are treating the services correctly.

If you are classed as self-employed then at the amount you mentioned €8-10k pa then that could (depending on your expenses) make you a chargeable person. In that case you file Form 11 through ROS.

If you are classed as self-employed but do not come within the definition of chargeable person, then you could file via Form 12 on MyAccount. However, as the link to chargeable persons mentions, you need to have the likely tax coded in that it is collected via PAYE. Small liabilities can be dealt with by adjusting following year tax credits but larger amounts require a proper payment be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

athlone573 wrote: »
    If its a small amount it may be easier getting them to pay you on payroll and they can sort out the Paye and Prsi.

May be easier, but you lose the opportunity to buy yourself loads of new toys that you obviously need to do the work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement