Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adult Stammering Course

• 09-03-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

:cool:

Hi, my name is Peter Bradley and I am a 20 year old student studying Applied Physiology BSc in the University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Belfast. I am just back from a week intensive adult stammering course held in Mullingar, Westmeath in the Republic of Ireland. I would like to applaud the work done by Patrick Kelly the speech therapist and others involved in organising the event. The course cost a mear 100 euro a week for the help of 2 speech therapist and 2 people who had formly attended the course. The course helped everyone involved, and I feel that promotion of the course and others like it should be highlighted, I myself would feel obliged to do so. I previously attended a teenage course also held by Patrick in Sligo, and found it very useful in helping to come to terms with and admitting to myself that I have a stammer. Ireland especially the north does not offer alot in terms of teenage/adult group based speech therapy, and I would like to get involved in promoting the benefits of group based speech therapy. I feel that 1 to 1 speech therapy offers alot of much needed therapeutic treatment although I feel that group work can prove very useful in the treatment process. Overall I would just like to say a big ''hello'' and would like a take a role in promoting as much as I can group based therapy as I feel it has helped me massively in coming to terms with my stammer. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 itrainsinmayo

Hello Pete, and hello all..

I just done the same course as Pete mentioned and I can say it was the most amazing experience I have ever witnessed ( and I have witnessed some amazing experiences) . The work done by Patrick, John, Brendan and Deirdre was excellent, they work with you on an individual basis and at level that suits you. I never knew what to expect when i started the course and can honestly say I met a great bunch of people who want to get over stammering and take control. Together we laughed, went through difficult times and enjoyed each others company.

I cant recommend the course highly enough.

Hope all is good Pete !

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Good that you lads had a very enjoyable week on this new adult stammering course modelled on Patmar!!! From what I've heard from another guy on the course it was more or less Patmar minus the Maria element!!!
    Hopefully it will get back to the usual bi-annual occurrance...though it is early days!!!
    I was on the course in September 2004...had one of the best weeks of my life!!!
    Pete is right in saying that the provision for adult stammerers in Northern Ireland is poor...waiting lists are like 3 months...and you don't even get to see a therapist if you're stammer is mild like mine!!!
    Thomas and Pete...keep looking at this forum...particularly after April...when I tie the knot...I organise Patmar Reunions...will I did last April when I had a turn-out of 10 in Sligo!!! Hopefully planning one for June perhaps in Sligo again...if my new wife allows me!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hi lads
    Well done on completing the course. I did a similiar course (DAS) in 2006 and found it excellent. Good luck on the road ahead.
    How ye doing Paul? Best of luck with the wedding! I'm getting married in June, its creeping up very quickly :)

Stephen...I'm doing grand...despite suffering a bit of after effects of a mini stag in Ballina on Saturday night...between drinking Southern Comforts which I've never had before and getting caught up in a blizzard walking home from the bar!!! Drugged up on Benelyn4Flu now!!!:)
    Can't complain with speech these days...still trying to bang in those voluntary stammers!!! Hoping/having to use some of them during my wedding speech...I'm actually looking forward to it...though come the day and the hour who knows what will happen!!! :)
    Have my real stag in Glasgow next weekend...and it sort of is in the countdown to the big day already...a month exactly from today!!!
    I don't think we both know what we are letting ourselves in for with marriage and all that!!! :p
    I'm already looking forward to a possible stammering awareness day in Dublin in October...meeting up with you Dublin self-helpers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

guys this sounds really good, could anyone give me some contact info regarding this course, or courses similar to it in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hi,

For information on the DAS course (Dublin Adult Stuttering) please contact Jonathon Linklater
    I'm sorry I've no details about the course the other poster mentioned.

Best of luck with it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Stephen P wrote: »
    Hi,

For information on the DAS course (Dublin Adult Stuttering) please contact Jonathon Linklater
    I'm sorry I've no details about the course the other poster mentioned.

Best of luck with it! :pac:

thanks for that :)

Patrick Kelly is the therapist behind this new adult stammering course. Here is his contact details...well they were a few years ago!!!
    • Senior Speech & Language Therapist
    • Community Care Offices
    • Carrick-on-Shannon
    • Co. Leitrim
    • Tel: 071-9650311
    • e: patrick.kelly@nwhb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MarkT77

Hi Pete and hello all

I'm Mark and I did the same course as Pete did, in Mullingar, about a month ago now. We had the refresher course in Dublin last weekend. I share the sentiments expressed by Pete in that the course was really excellent and has already had a hugely positive impact on my life. I would have been a "covert" stammerer in that I avoided a lot of things, situations and words and was nowhere near as fluent as I liked to pretend. The course taught me to just accept the fact I stammered and therefore come to terms with it and just enjoy life. It's going to be a long road but already I feel much more relaxed about things and dont tend to see life as a battle the way I would have done before. The course too is good fun and you really do get to know people well on it. You start off as strangers and leave as friends. Patrick, John, Brendan and Deirdre deserve huge credit and the course deserves huge recognition and I for one want to publicise it as much as I can. I work in UCD and have to lecture a lot and talk to students a lot and I feel a lot more relaxed about now that I dont have to pretend to be something I'm not - i.e a fluent speaker. So, if anyone would like to know more about this course or talk about it, I'm contactable at mark.tynan@ucd.ie. Thanks. Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I did the Patmar course back in 2002. Patrick Kelly is an absolute hero. I cant speak highly enough of this man. He changed my life for the better and countless others too I guess.

Ive been out of touch with Patmar for a while but would love to meet up again if something was on. I relocated to the north west from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MechaMan

Hi there. Does anyone use this board anymore I was on the Patmar course in Sept 2002. Just wondering are any of that class on this forum?

Hi MechaMan. I do not usually come on to the speech area, but I do read posts on other threads.
    I was on the September 2004 Patmar Course in Enniscrone. Brilliant week!
    MechaMan wrote: »
    Hi there. Does anyone use this board anymore I was on the Patmar course in Sept 2002. Just wondering are any of that class on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jkins

Hi, I did the patmar course too. Does anyone know if it’s still running??

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

I was also on the PATMAR course in 2002 in Enniscrone, and most probably September, from the Summer vibe I recall. Anyway, Adrian here and I've found my way onto this thread while looking up Patrick Kelly, out of casual interest as well as a renewed interest in concentrating on my speech again.

The 2002 PATMAR course was definitely a defining moment in my life as I went from someone who was self-conscious and incredibly adept at being the best covert stammerer to someone who didn't give a f*ck what anyone thought and dived into every speaking/stammering situation without that much anxiety. I didn't have much success in the voluntary stammering approach, most likely down to not being ready and [in reality] not getting over the self conscious side of things. Anyway, here I am in 2023 about to pick up where I left off back then and start the practice of having more control over my speech again instead of consciously dragging conversations out longer than they need to be 😊

Advertisement