Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluegrass Banjo

• 28-06-2018 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I am looking for help/instruction to play the 5-string banjo, bluegrass style. I am in Clare but willing to drive an hour fora good instructor. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

Whilst I am sure there are many 5 string players in Clare,the only one that springs to my mind is Lena Ullman.I am not sure where she is living now, she did play with Johnny Moynihan and a few others up around Kinvara for a while so maybe she's still up there? You could ring Custys in Ennis,they have a video of her on their Youtube channel and they might be able to put you in contact with her.She has also made 2 CDs, one of which ishttps://ossianusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/i-can-hear-you-calling-lena-ullman-anna-falkenau.Is she 100% bluegrass?That I cannot answer because but either way she might get you started?Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bill Forster in Tulla is your man.

Great player (best in UK and Ireland in my personal opinion).
    Great teacher.
    Rates (can't recall exact sorry) were quite reasonable.

Not an easy instrument but sounds great - so good luck.

Advertisement