Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Has anyone with sky actually cancelled and re-signed up in a different name in the same house? Will this work? Is there a cancellation notice.

Worried about doing it, what with the football season starting, I'd be depressed if I lost my sports.

Cheers,

Usually they will just give you the half price offer if you ring and say UPC are giving you a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I wish Sky would bring down the price of their multiroom , we cancelled Sky and got UPC because the multi room was €10 cheaper a month , when you have 3 extra boxes we couldnt afford to be giving an extra €30.

But I absolutely HATE UPC and love to go back to Sky especially for this half price offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Rayna Refined Racketeer

Karen23 wrote: »
    I wish Sky would bring down the price of their multiroom , we cancelled Sky and got UPC because the multi room was €10 cheaper a month , when you have 3 extra boxes we couldnt afford to be giving an extra €30.

But I absolutely HATE UPC and love to go back to Sky especially for this half price offer.

Sky's multiroom is a rip-off, totally not competitive with UPC on that point

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Karen23 wrote: »

Sky multiroom is €15 extra per month whether you have it in 1 extra room or 3 extra rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Butterball

Well no call back yesterday!!Shock! But this morning an "offer" in the post!! If dh refers a friend they get free Sky+ box and 1/2 price tv for 2 months( €30 standard set up fee.) and he can claim €50 cashback for each friend that signs up. 3 "invites" to flog to friends!! Offer valid til 27 Sept!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sky multiroom is €15 extra per month whether you have it in 1 extra room or 3 extra rooms.

It is? I always thought it was €15 per room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Don't you have to get a separate Sky box that you pay for? 3 Rooms - 3 sky boxes sounds a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Sky Multiroom is €15/month/box as per the terms and conditions.

So if you want multiroom in 3 different rooms its €45 extra/month.
    i.e. 3 x boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Does anyone know how long sky usually take to come out and do an install?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

TheTechGuy wrote: »

First available date in Carlow town was sept 8th, that was last night. Probable different in every area I suppose.

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Mine was Sep 8 aswell so there fairly booked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 corklady

Media999 wrote: »
    Might ask them will a splitter work first as i think a multi lnb is only for different subscriptions rather than FTA.

Lets say you had sky in every room. Each with their own card and potentially each with their own packages. I think thats when you need Multi LNB rather than just a splitter. Ask them just in case or research it yourself.

maybe someone here knows.

A splitter won't work for multiple boxes. It doesn't have anything to do with boxes having different packages though .... The full set of channels available on the satellite are divided into 4 groups. Depending on which channel you want to watch, your box sends a signal back to the satellite dish to say "tune to group 2", for example. So then only channels which are in group 2 are available on that satellite cable. If you're using a splitter, your 2nd box will only have group 2 channels available to it.
    So really, if you want to have 2 SKY+ boxes you will need a quad LNB, if you want 4 SKY+ boxes you will need an octo LNB. You can buy a quad LNB for about €20 and an octo for about €40. Installation is simply replacing the old LNB on your dish (you won't need to move the dish) and feeding extra cables into your house, along with the existing cables.

Ah thats good to know. I assumed quad was for 4 boxes.

Might be aswell just to pick up an octo LNB just to future proof it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Ah thats good to know. I assumed quad was for 4 boxes.

Might be aswell just to pick up an octo LNB just to future proof it.

Search places like Ebay.ie and Adverts.ie for sellers in Ireland you can get an octo for under €20 on ebay including shipping and under €25 on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

just signed up for half price for 12 months...

€33.50 for all the channels and sky sports - not bad considering i was paying 27.50 without the sports.

Just have to cancel the existing connection now

neacy69 wrote: »
    just signed up for half price for 12 months...

€33.50 for all the channels and sky sports - not bad considering i was paying 27.50 without the sports.

Just have to cancel the existing connection now

Are you a Sky customer already or are you cancelling UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Are you a Sky customer already or are you cancelling UPC?

Have sky already at the same address but in a different name

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bromley52 wrote: »
    Sky Multiroom is €15/month/box as per the terms and conditions.

So if you want multiroom in 3 different rooms its €45 extra/month.
    i.e. 3 x boxes

Apologies all. I was mixing that up with the darn HD sub:o

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Has anyone with sky actually cancelled and re-signed up in a different name in the same house? Will this work? Is there a cancellation notice.

Worried about doing it, what with the football season starting, I'd be depressed if I lost my sports.

Cheers,

I'd like to know this too ... UPC not an option here so they'd suss it but would love to get some sort of a deal out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Thanks OP,

Just signed up. took 3 calls to get through though.

Operator was vey reluctant to offer the deal( thats finished, no such deal etc) but seen the light when i asked to spek to his supervisor.

Movies, multiroom and entertaiment for €45. ( No movement on the €15 for multiroom)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Thanks OP,

Just signed up. took 3 calls to get through though.

Operator was vey reluctant to offer the deal( thats finished, no such deal etc) but seen the light when i asked to spek to his supervisor.

Movies, multiroom and entertaiment for €45. ( No movement on the €15 for multiroom)

Just goes to show how much a difference the person you get on the phone makes. The lad I got was delighted to give me the offer, read it all to me and all \nd told me how great a deal it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I called to cancel today, explained to the rep that I was tired of having to do this dance every 6 months in order to continue with half price service. He put me on to his supervisor straight away and I'm safe till Feb '13.

€44 pm for basic channels, movies, sports and multiroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

I switched from UPC to sky last month and availed of the half price offer. Got the full package with HD and 2 x Multiroom for €63 per month for 12 months.

Brokedown as follows:

Multi room was €15 total for the 2 (basically half price)
    HD Pack was €10 (covers all the boxes)
    Full pack €38 (normally €76)

Great value methinks

Took a while on the phone but be patient and nice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

connundrum wrote: »
    tired of having to do this dance every 6 months in order to continue with half price service. He put me on to his supervisor straight away and I'm safe till Feb '13.
    So you got another six months? So whats your point re supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Thatll be no hassle. Itll just save the engineer some time.

Just to be clear to everyone. If you have no active phoneline in house theres a once off 37.50 charge.

Usually a sky box needs to "call home" to complete setup but as theres no phoneline they have to do this manually. Sneaky charge i know but years back this was something like 70 quid.

DO NOT pay the €37.50 manual enablement charge. Just tell them your not going to proceed if they look to charge it and they will back down almost immediately.

I have no phone line in my house and I got this offer for €16.50 PM for a year (normally €33) with a free Sky+ HD box (latest Amstrad box).

Paid a €25 deposit so my first 2 bills will be €4.

After 11 months I'm gonna call up and ask to either keep this offer or cancel after the year is up.

BTW you can use and old Sky box as a freeview box, just boot up the box with no card in it..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

tm2204 wrote:

BTW you can use and old Sky box as a freeview box, just boot up the box with no card in it..

I think that works only with old boxes, new boxes have the Irish EPG only if you boot without card you get a message to call and subscribe, but you can get a SKY freeview card in adverts and ebay for about 10-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

So you got another six months? So whats your point re supervisor?

.. that you seem to get your deal quicker when put through to 'the supervisor'. The rep only the phone was trying to deflect and suggest that I cut Sports or Movies in order to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

First phone call she said she couldn't offer me anything (that was Accounts Department). Rang back to the downgrade section - she said that all they had was 10% but because I was holding so long (??) shed see if she could do anything (it seems that the cancellation section is the one with the deals!) .. she came back and offered me 25% discount for 12 months with no contract .. so I have Entertainment package + Sports for €42.75 instead of €57 per month. Its not as good as half price but better than what I had so am relatively happy.

For those that managed to get the half price .. how? Did ye all threaten to cancel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Giselle Miniature Flagpole

Only wrote: »

For those that managed to get the half price .. how? Did ye all threaten to cancel?
    YES :D

• Advertisement

• Just got the letter with this offer in the post today.

Advertisement