Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

• 12-12-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a pic of the new layout of the quay when it will be finished. Its a mess at the moment. I mean the single lane at the entrances to City Square car park and the Qpark one and the city council one. Its a disaster.

Also there's a lighted sign parked blocking the lane where you turn left into City Square, this seems to be interpretated as 'Park here', going by the line of cars abandoned from the GPO up to the sign.

I keep meaning to avoid it.

Going by the new road markings it will be one lane as far as the exit from the council car park and then it will be 3 lanes. I just cant see how this will work for the car parks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Yeh its a disaster all right got stuck at the lights by reginalds tower today for about 10 - 15 mins. The single lane just after it was causing tailbacks down the Mall and Williams St. The lights changed a good few times and the traffic just went nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN OVERPAID NITS GET THEIR FINGERS ON THE GREEN ROUTE PLANS........ MEGAFAIL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

thought this thread was going to be about all them heads in the tents on the quay protesting about stuff they don't even know about

thought this thread was going to be about all them heads in the tents on the quay protesting about stuff they don't even know about
    hmm imo they would probally have a better idea of how to keep the traffic moving than city hall.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hoffmans wrote: »
    hmm imo they would probally have a better idea of how to keep the traffic moving than city hall.....

Sure I have a terrier in the house who'd have more of an idea than city hall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Kxiii wrote: »
    Yeh its a disaster all right got stuck at the lights by reginalds tower today for about 10 - 15 mins. The single lane just after it was causing tailbacks down the Mall and Williams St. The lights changed a good few times and the traffic just went nowhere.

Same here, I was stuck there from 12:30 to 1:00, Del la Sal to the Reg, though there was an accident or something.

Also the other night there was a serious near miss. There was a massive line turning right for City square, when I was going down the quay towards the Tower. The car in front of me indicated into the left lane and then back into the right lane after the City Square turn, but the car left at the top of that line was going straight on, he had just gotten stuck in the City Square line. When he increased speed he nearly hit the car that indicated into his lane.

I only started using those car parks since I had to unload a buggy and baby, can't be bothered now. If I didnt find a wide space on the street or in Newgate, I wouldnt bother shopping in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Speed bumps appearing everywhere too; every day there's a new one somewhere - Military Road, Browne's Road, and this morning they were installing one in Ferrybank. Why don't they do something sensible and spend the money fixing all the potholes on Bridge Street and all the other dodgy surfaces instead of just adding to the mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I dont think its a bad idea when its finished, something had to be done. As a person who works in the city centre and a driver, I see people parking in the left lane of the Quays causing not only a hazard and effectively making it one lane anyway. The disruption at the moment will just have to be endured.

The river should be better connected to the city centre, this is the first step of that process apparently, next up get rid of all those car parks. Added to that, pedestrian accidents on the Quays are common as is.

Basically Irish people cannot be trusted to use the road as it is properly, a park where they like attitude exists 'sure what harm, im only gonna be 5 minutes' where the decent thing to do is, park in the car park and walk to place you have your stuff to do.

Like it or not, it will force vehicles out of the city centre (slowly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

They picked a terrible time of year to go at that Quay, talk about enticing people into the town!

They picked a terrible time of year to go at that Quay, talk about enticing people into the town!

This is probably the right time as you would like to see most of this work done for tourist season next year.......when is a good time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Max Powers wrote: »
    This is probably the right time as you would like to see most of this work done for tourist season next year.......when is a good time

I would've thought January considering people will probably have even less money than they do now to be going into town and most people will be laying low after Christmas break.

Got as far as Shaws today and gave up, went straight out to Lisduggan Shopping Center, just not worth the hassel.

I would've thought January considering people will probably have even less money than they do now to be going into town and most people will be laying low after Christmas break.

But the work on the quays has been happening since the late summer so do you want it going into next summer if you start in january

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Came down the quays in Waterford for the first time in ages yesterday, Usually head around the back of the city. Traffic was a mess which id swallow cause of roadworks to improve things. But came up to The plaza their on the Tower bound side Car turning right infront of me in the right hand lane. so indicated to head for the left lane to avoid, only to see the left lane is merging into the right lane at that point. Could have been dodgy had i moved in behind another car and not noticed. Granted i didnt see why the lane merged at that point but seems like a silly idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭decies

Bit off topic but still Waterford to clonmel road closed at carrick , accident at railway bridge.

gets even better they have widened the car park exit, thats grand till they bollarded it off forcing cars exiting into the outside lane , thay must be getting some bonus for trying to cause accidents....are any the planners in the panel beating business too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭decies

There is a roundabout going there past the post office, if your coming from clock tower and going to city square,you will have to go up to the roundabout turnaround and head up to city square on your left.They are angling the car park exits forcing you down the quay to roundabout ,no more turning right from car park across the traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 TheOldSeaDog

The new layout is a disaster. There will be some accidents there at the new choking point near the plaza

decies wrote: »
    There is a roundabout going there past the post office, if your coming from clock tower and going to city square,you will have to go up to the roundabout turnaround and head up to city square on your left.They are angling the car park exits forcing you down the quay to roundabout ,no more turning right from car park across the traffic.

That actually sounds like a good idea, because at the moment its an accident waiting to happen with the single lane and each lane trying to cross to a car park on the other side of the road. Is there really room for a roundabout down there? looks a bit tight, it would have to be one of those painted on ones so a truck/ could just drive over it.

It was bad enough at the plazza with visitors realising they were in the wrong lane a swerving into the hospital / Cork lane, imagine the confusion with 3 lanes and a roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Who is the idiot who approved this new layout ?? What a mess.

But it wont take long before a truck sideswipes the bollards out of it and we'll have the full 2 lanes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Two lanes, into one lane, and then back into two is just ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

ratedR wrote: »
    Who is the idiot who approved this new layout ?? What a mess.

But it wont take long before a truck sideswipes the bollards out of it and we'll have the full 2 lanes again.

Probably the same idiot that made a mess of the Dunmore Rd and Newtown Rd by putting in little bits of bus lanes all over the place. Whoever they are they should be replaced. They seem to be justifying their job by making changes that don't need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its always the same when they change layouts in Waterford. They ALWAYS mess it up. I'd love to know what idiot is in charge of road layouts, junction layouts, traffic light timings, roundabout markings etc.

Every time they do anything related to this, they cock it up.

Whoever it is, is a fool and doesn't deserve to be in his job.

A child could do better.

A.

p.s. Oh and I thought government bodies were supposed to be cutting expenditure? How can they afford all these new speed humps that are appearing all over the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Yeh drove the quays again tonight, There is little doubt there will be an accident Where it changes to one lane allowing carparks to exit and cars to turn right for city square. Some nice dark wet evening there will be a pile up.

They have to stop people turning right off the Quays its lethal. So they do need a roundabout down the tower end, would be difficult to see where they could safely put it , im sure they'll find somewhere dangerous. also whats up with the traffic lights at the tower hotel letting about 3 to 4 cars a time through them going on towards waterford crystal, drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

p.s. Oh and I thought government bodies were supposed to be cutting expenditure? How can they afford all these new speed humps that are appearing all over the city?

I'd imagine departmental budgets have a lot to do with it. Government departments have this fear (and it's possibly well founded) that if they don't spend what they are allocated in a given year that their budget will be cut the following year. It's why we see random improvements being made to our roads and baffling public awareness advertising campaigns on TV (nailcare and kitchen safety) towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Yes, but that stupid system encourages more spending, not more saving!

The attitude of government bodies is shocking. They have no idea how to act efficiently.

Its endemic in the public service, and one reason its going to be very difficult for any government without the courage to truly reform it, to drag the country out of the $hit.

A.

I past there a few hours ago, 3 of the 'bollards' beside the city center car park were run over. The need to be high visibility.

I can see anyone heading to the hospital seeing them when they know they are in the right lane.

I'm sure there was a pic of the new layout here or on the co co website but I've googled the Viking Triangle and Waterford Green zone and got nothing. Maybe they don't have a plan?

I do think a roundabout between the GPO and the Tower would solve the 'turning fight into car parks' problem, but this evening there was a steady stream of cars with hazard lights double parked from the Tack Shop to the GPO. With only one lane on the quay that's a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Does anyone agree with me that the lighting on both the quay and the mall leave a hell of a lot to be desired for drivers.

So many dark spots and never mind bad weather, what cost a few extra low energy lamp posts and at least make the main streets 'look' and feel like a city at night and where everyone can at least 'feel' a bit safer in all respects.

I agree with that, I had a guy walk out in front of my car just after the new pedestrian crossing. He was behind the trees, they had leaves on them at the time, I honestly didnt see a thing only for I was going dead slow, he would have been hit.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I past there a few hours ago, 3 of the 'bollards' beside the city center car park were run over. The need to be high visibility.

I can see anyone heading to the hospital seeing them when they know they are in the right lane.

I'm sure there was a pic of the new layout here or on the co co website but I've googled the Viking Triangle and Waterford Green zone and got nothing. Maybe they don't have a plan?

I do think a roundabout between the GPO and the Tower would solve the 'turning fight into car parks' problem, but this evening there was a steady stream of cars with hazard lights double parked from the Tack Shop to the GPO. With only one lane on the quay that's a disaster.
    saw an ambulance stuck there for round half a minute today lights flashing, & with the backup on the single lane cars had no where to go till the jam got moving again..hope whoever they were attending didnt need that half minute back.....

Advertisement