Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fitzer32

from wat i can tell the guards probably wont be running a recruitment campaign till the beginning of 2010.theres at least a couple of hundred people on the waiting list to go down to templemore and there are still 2 more batches to be interviewed.wit only 400 spots next year in templemore i'd say people passin their interview now will be waitin over a year more before headin to templemore.i wouldnt like to be waiting around for the next recruitment campaign to start especially wit unemployment goin to rise,there will prob be +10,000 plus applyin for 400 jobs completely different ratio to the last few years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redlane

fitzer32 wrote: »
    from wat i can tell the guards probably wont be running a recruitment campaign till the beginning of 2010.theres at least a couple of hundred people on the waiting list to go down to templemore and there are still 2 more batches to be interviewed.wit only 400 spots next year in templemore i'd say people passin their interview now will be waitin over a year more before headin to templemore.i wouldnt like to be waiting around for the next recruitment campaign to start especially wit unemployment goin to rise,there will prob be +10,000 plus applyin for 400 jobs completely different ratio to the last few years!!

I see your point but if (as you have said) there are a couple of hundred people waiting to start and only two batches left to interview (which obviously won't all get in), where are the bodies to start training in 2010 itself going to come from? It seems to take the best part of a year to get from aptitude test to starting in Templemore (and more in many cases). For this reason, even by your own estimates of numbers in the system, there would need to be a campaign sometime in 2009 for 2010 intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

Succesfull has been banned for at least 10 days from this forum for attempting to sell copyrighted material despite a warning from Chief and I have given a warning to one poster who breached the forum charter by mentioning this product and where it came from. Any further breaches of the charter will be dealt with fairly but please keep in mind the charter is there to protect users and boards.ie.

If you feel a poster is trolling, spamming (in this case) or breaching the charter in any way please use the Report button. It can be found on each post on the bottom left, third one in. Myself and the Mods can then review it and take action if needed.

thanks

TheNog

i'd say ther will be a campaign in 2010.all they need is 800 for the next 2 years in the college an to be honest i'd say there well could be that number on the waiting list cause there ar people from campaigns last year still waitin to get called down!! but theres no way of knowin the exact figure but thats my gut feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cork spunker

Mun23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys and Gals! Im new to posting but have been following this thread for a while now and find it very helpful :)

Just wondering does anyone know when the next campagne is opening I cant seem to get a proper answer from any number I ring:(
    Failed the medical last time round so have to go thru the whole process again, Also can somebody please clarify about the eyesight I raid unaided on the gards website but on this forum some people are saying it has changed to "aided"
    Also has anyone got a third chance at the Physical? I know someone who did...

no recruitment drive till next year i have heard from hq. only 400 trainees being admitted next year, leaving a panel of 2000 behind praying they get a call for 2010. fact !

• Advertisement

i agree wit ya dat the next recruitment drive wont be till 2010 but how do u know ders a panel of 2000 waiting???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

Tabatha

tbh in this job nothing is certain unless it has already happened!!!! every member will tell you that. You see the AGS budget is set in stone but day to day costs can increase and decrease significantly.

An example of this would be something along the lines of Bellanboy. If another incident occured where a constant Garda presence is required that will eat into the budget. Other budgetary eaters (??) would be murders, road deaths etc. As the year goes on some services may have to be scaled back or cut altogether.

Having said all that I do hope the recruitment continues but we can all agree it will not be on par with what we have seen in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 google08

2010 is that when they are advertising again for the next recruitment drive ? Does that mean that between now and 2010 that they will be getting in the 2000 waiting to get in ?
    Do you know what batch are due in nov ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 wispa

google08 wrote: »
    2010 is that when they are advertising again for the next recruitment drive ? Does that mean that between now and 2010 that they will be getting in the 2000 waiting to get in ?
    Do you know what batch are due in nov ?

just my own opinion i dont think we will have to wait untill 2010 for the next recruitment.there was a new poster released looking for more muslim and foreign people to join AGS a few weeks ago.i doubt they would release a poster like that looking for foreign recruits and then make them wait 2 years until they could join, that would put people off applying.what do people think????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

It would probably take til 2010 for background checks for non-nationals to be complete anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

And this poster was released before the budget was announced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redlane

madbadger wrote: »
    And this poster was released before the budget was announced...

The budget announced something like a half percent decrease in the Garda budget, hardly significant. I think decision were probably made as to future recruitment before the budget.

well i just called pjs and they said that they think there is one before christmas. she seemed pretty unsure so i called garda headquaters. they bascailly said that things have changed. he said that there was one suppose to be before christmas but that is now changed. he said that they have no official confirmation of anything yet but that there is major cutbacks and as they wont be cutting back in garda pay they will be cutting back in recruitment. anyway, he said that it is looking like late next year before there is anything.

redlane wrote: »
    The budget announced something like a half percent decrease in the Garda budget, hardly significant. I think decision were probably made as to future recruitment before the budget.

The half percent amounts to €20 million in our budget.
    tabatha wrote: »
    well i just called pjs and they said that they think there is one before christmas. she seemed pretty unsure so i called garda headquaters. they bascailly said that things have changed. he said that there was one suppose to be before christmas but that is now changed. he said that they have no official confirmation of anything yet but that there is major cutbacks and as they wont be cutting back in garda pay they will be cutting back in recruitment. anyway, he said that it is looking like late next year before there is anything.

The cutbacks as far as I can see will probably be in recruitment and overtime :mad: The AGS have pretty attained the 15,000 members it set out to make with 14,2ish and another 1,000 in training. It has been reported (too lazy to find the link) that the extra 1,000 coming on will add a 1 million annual hours at normal time so no need have the extra funding in OT :mad::mad: again.

Good thing is Anvil will continue with the budget being €21 million this year an increase of 1 million.

Kerry4sam I think you provided the link for the budget breakdown on the AGS. Any chance you could repost it?

TheNog wrote: »

The cutbacks as far as I can see will probably be in recruitment and overtime :mad: The AGS have pretty attained the 15,000 members it set out to make with 14,2ish and another 1,000 in training. It has been reported (too lazy to find the link) that the extra 1,000 coming on will add a 1 million annual hours at normal time so no need have the extra funding in OT :mad::mad: again.

Good thing is Anvil will continue with the budget being €21 million this year an increase of 1 million.

Kerry4sam I think you provided the link for the budget breakdown on the AGS. Any chance you could repost it?

all well and good but crap for anyone who wants to join :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

TheNog wrote: »

GARDA SÍOCHÁNA Budget Decreased:

at http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009/downloads/CombinedBudgetEstimates2009&SPCP.pdf

page 48 for An Garda Siochana details ... TheNog, I think this is the link
    tabatha wrote: »

you know i am still quietly confident that their will be one more this side of Christmas around November'ish as : by the time they hold the stage1 for all those candidates, you'll be looking at next March/April anyways for completion of all stage1 applicants, earliest [taking into consideration-if the number of applicants rise and the stage1 are held in PublicJobs office as opposed to the Teachers Union which seem to be able to hold more candidates at any one sitting] ... I just forsee the waiting time for applicants increasing significantly and from next year onward holding a recruitment drive 3times annually ... time will tell and que cera cera :)

kerry4sam wrote: »

you know i am still quietly confident that their will be one more this side of Christmas around November'ish as : by the time they hold the stage1 for all those candidates, you'll be looking at next March/April anyways for completion of all stage1 applicants, earliest [taking into consideration-if the number of applicants rise and the stage1 are held in PublicJobs office as opposed to the Teachers Union which seem to be able to hold more candidates at any one sitting] ... I just forsee the waiting time for applicants increasing significantly and from next year onward holding a recruitment drive 3times annually ... time will tell and que cera cera :)

fingers crossed xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

kerry4sam wrote: »

Have to say I agree, if thay freeze recruitment until 2010, there will be no recruits until 2011 by the time any of these get through the selection process.
    Probably they will have a drive brfore Christmas and could be 2010 by the time these applicants get in but at least theres some hope for us! :o

(Curse me for not realising my dream sooner! :(:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Tbh with ye lads, there is absolutely NO POINT in speculating. No one here knows whats going to happen. Personally, I believe and hope that the next campaign will be in Jan/Feb 09. If they recruit in November, it's quite close to Christmas so trying to process that many applications before 'the season' would be a large undertaking imo.

Bottom line, hold out and see what happens, and don't listen to the speculation and rumours that fill the internet. After all, if you really want this, you'll wait as long as it takes. Well, I will anyways!

eroo wrote: »
    After all, if you really want this, you'll wait as long as it takes. Well, I will anyways!

unless you are coming up close to the age limit.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 razor89

ugh....this bloody waiting is a test within itself. I think the worse thing is that this whole thing is completly out of your hands and your left 100% in the dark as to when somethings going to happen. There should really be someone the likes of us can turn to for straight and educated answers.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mrmotivator007

when is the next recruitment likely going to be open.if they are planning to take smaller clases the chances of getting in would be smaller right!if so what chances would you have of getting in with a fairly average leaving cert(i do meet the minimum requirements) and no degree.is their anything you can do that would improve your chances of getting in?joining the reserves doing some sort of night course?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

well lads havent posted in a while im on my phase 2 now and have been reading your posts,mr motivator the fact that you have a basic leaving cert will have no bearing on your chances at all,if you get to the interview stage its how u perform there and then,there not looking for a genius just somebody who 'ticks all the boxes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

when is the next recruitment likely going to be open...

If you were to look back a few pages you will see that question has been asked over and over but nobody posting here seems to know when it will be ... it is all assumptions and presumptions and estimated guesses. Time will tell though, and all we can do in the meantime is kick back and wait it out mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

For everyone hoping to apply, after the intake in November, there will be one in February. Chances are tho, there may not be any application process, with so many already waiting for the phone call to start in templemore or still working through the medicals and PCT and the decrease in intake numbers, the chances are February could be full already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

I'm seriously considering applying for the guards in a few years. I'm also very interested in doing a postgrad course(maybe a masters) in criminology. My question is, would this degree help me in being succesful in applying for the guards? And, would it be useful in daily garda duties? Any advice would be much appreciated!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Honestly it doesnt make one bit of difference if you have a degree in law, criminology, forensics, accountancy etc as everyone is treated the same as long as you pass the educational requirements. So you are still competeing against someone just scraping through their leaving cert 3 months ago. They want to know that you have the skills required to preform the job necessery and are of good character and that spending €60k or more training you is not going to be a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

If you were 18 - 19 would you have as good of chance of getting in as someone more mature?

Advertisement