Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you feel about walkers on your land?

Options
  • 02-08-2020 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

I do a lot of walking in my area. Often I cut across fields for a shortcut or just walk the farm lanes.

I've bumped into two of the farmers while walking the laneways and they never said anything to me. Just drove past in their tractors and I gave them a nod and a wave.

There's another farm complex I've started taking a shortcut across every now and then. Maybe a few times a year. I just hop the fence and walk across 3 grassy fields and try avoid any crops/cattle. Although the cattle sometimes does get excited when they notices me and comes for a gawk and I would be ducking under the odd electric fence. I don't know who this farmer is tbqh.

Would farmers in general be bothered by this? I don't want to be upsetting anybody but I grew up in a different area and always walked the fields and was generally an outdoorsy person so I still do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No harm to ask the farmers permission before you go across their land. It annoys me that people think they can walk across my land when they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

whelan2 wrote: »
    No harm to ask the farmers permission before you go across their land. It annoys me that people think they can walk across my land when they feel like it.

How does that work in practice though, do you stand at their boundary and wait for them to come along?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How do I feel - I feel for a couple of 12g cartridges.
    Who the fcuk do you think you are crossing private land. I bet if I rocked up in your kitchen uninvited for Sunday breakfast you'd be pissed off.

Fcuking Right to Roam brigade :mad:

How does that work in practice though, do you stand at their boundary and wait for them to come along?

Manners cost nothing. Would you like to find me walking across your garden, possibly with a few dogs in tow. If someone asks me can they walk my land I have no problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Yes, but how does a walker actually find the farmer to ask their permission, the chances of them being within sight at the particular moment are slim.

• Advertisement

Yes, but how does a walker actually find the farmer to ask their permission, the chances of them being within sight at the particular moment are slim.

If you want to walk the land you will ask around who the owner is, simples

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Base price wrote: »
    Who the fcuk do you think you are crossing private land. I bet if I rocked up in your kitchen uninvited for Sunday breakfast you'd be pissed off.

This **** right off you can. Buy some land of your own and feel free to cut through it anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Manners cost nothing. Would you like to find me walking across your garden, possibly with a few dogs in tow. If someone asks me can they walk my land I have no problem with it

I do not have a dog, nor would i bring one if I did because I know that'd cause a lot of upset. I do respect the land and leave no trace etc.

I agree asking the farmer would be the best but I've yet to speak to any as the only two I've encountered just drove past me on the laneway. Although I'm pretty sure most would recognize me from living in the village area.

I'm not some pole taunting hill walker. I'm a local living here 20 years that walks the backroads and cuts across a laneway or field from time to time although I suppose there's not much of a distinction in the eyes of some.

I've legit never heard of a "right to roam" type tbh. If I was aksed to leave land I would and apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Prefer Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I do not have a dog, nor would i bring one if I did because I know that'd cause a lot of upset. I do respect the land and leave no trace etc.

I agree asking the farmer would be the best but I've yet to speak to any as the only two I've encountered just drove past me on the laneway. Although I'm pretty sure most would recognize me from living in the village area.

I'm not some pole taunting hill walker. I'm a local living here 20 years that walks the backroads and cuts across a laneway or field from time to time although I suppose there's not much of a distinction in the eyes of some.

I've legit never heard of a "right to roam" type tbh. If I was aksed to leave land I would and apologise.

Some day there will be a mad LM heifer in the field who will take running (not toward you, most likely away from you) and break wire and jump ditches.

Will it be you or the farmer that spends a few hour tracking her down and doing repairs.

You have no business in someone else’s land. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I do a lot of walking in my area. Often I cut across fields for a shortcut or just walk the farm lanes.

I've bumped into two of the farmers while walking the laneways and they never said anything to me. Just drove past in their tractors and I gave them a nod and a wave.

There's another farm complex I've started taking a shortcut across every now and then. Maybe a few times a year. I just hop the fence and walk across 3 grassy fields and try avoid any crops/cattle. Although the cattle sometimes does get excited when they notices me and comes for a gawk and I would be ducking under the odd electric fence. I don't know who this farmer is tbqh.

Would farmers in general be bothered by this? I don't want to be upsetting anybody but I grew up in a different area and always walked the fields and was generally an outdoorsy person so I still do it.
    in general its a no no im afraid unless you have a relationship with the farmer.the fear of litigation is the big driver here because no matter how stupid someone can be the land owner is ultimately responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Unless you get permission from farmer I don't think you should be roaming through farm fields. Especially not if there are animals on them. Livestock can get very nervous and end up in all sorts of situations such as going through fences and causing injury to themselves.

A friend of mine has to contend with this all the time. Gates being left open, people walking around with big dogs and foals or calfs in the next field.

Do the right thing and get permission first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

If you tripped over a loose piece of barbed wire and someone told you that'll be worth €50k compo would you still be so friendly to the farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you want to walk the land you will ask around who the owner is, simples

You have rather missed the point. I was a kid growing up in the countryside, I grew up wandering off over hills and dales and I don't recall a journey planner for any bit of it.

So say you go for a walk locally, you decide to go left instead of right and you go to cut across a field, how exactly are you supposed to clear this with the farmer?

Forget the pitchfork for a minute and whether its right or its wrong, I'm asking about the practical side of things. It seems insane to suggest that instead of just walking across the grass and being gone within minutes that instead you should hunt down the farmer wherever he is just so you can ask permission to walk across a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have been living there for 20 years it shouldn't be difficult to find the land owner(s) of the fields.

Walking laneways is completely different from walking across a field. The purpose of laneways is for people and animals to travel on, fields are not.

There could be a bull in the fields or protective suckler cows who dont like strangers going across their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Does your public liability insurance policy cover if you give permission to someone to cross your land - just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

The 2 are hardly comparable

FixitFelix wrote: »
    The 2 are hardly comparable

Why not ?

Why not ?

Walking into someone's house and walking across a field are the same to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's quite simple, if the farmer is living on the farm, you go into the farmyard to ask his permission. If there's no farmer living there, you ask one of the neighbours who owns it and then ask him before you walk on the farm.

There's numerous issues that walkers ignore.

It's private property, the same as your back garden. I don't imaging you would be too happy to see someone vaulting over your back wall at odd hours every day to go for a stroll.

If there's animals on the land, there's a good chance that they will be spooked and possibly driven out of the field or onto the road. Any accident caused by that would be YOUR fault though it would be the farmer getting blamed and ending up on court. They might end up on his or some other farmers silage ground and destroy a crop of silage or a crop of corn.

There's biosecurity, where you could be bringing TB or Neosporidia from another farm or the road and passing it onto the cattle on the farm you're just taking a stroll through and destroy the stock. Or God knows what other disease from another farm.

Then there's insurance. There's still an extremely firm belief that any trespasser that ends up being killed or injured on a farm will at the very least send the farms insurance skyrocketing. Even if the injured party was doing the most outrageously stupid fcukwittery imaginable, the farmer will still be left holding the can.

So, just ask the farmer or stay away, it really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I had to turn countless people out of here since things started opening up. They walked past private property signs and farm biosecurity signs to see how far they could get.
    OP what you are doing is trespassing the people you've met may not have been the land owner so might not be willing to challenge you.
    To the posters who want to find out who owns land go onto landdirect.ie go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Point taken lads. I'll be much more careful in the future and avoid unknown land.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    If you have been living there for 20 years it shouldn't be difficult to find the land owner(s) of the fields.

Walking laneways is completely different from walking across a field. The purpose of laneways is for people and animals to travel on, fields are not.
    Oh yeah I know exactly where the farms yards and houses are. I know one of their names they know mine, the others don't know me other than maybe seeing my face while walking the roads.

I was a kid growing up in the countryside, I grew up wandering off over hills and dales and I don't recall a journey planner for any bit of it.

So say you go for a walk locally, you decide to go left instead of right and you go to cut across a field, how exactly are you supposed to clear this with the farmer?

This describes what I do down to a tee.

I know it's somewhat normal for kids and locals of all ages to do it. I just wanted to gauge how farmers on here felt.

Would you really pull a gun on a local lad walking a field?
    I suppose many a farmer would.

Would you really pull a gun on a local lad walking a field?
    I suppose many a farmer would.

No he wouldn't

Walking into someone's house and walking across a field are the same to you?

If it's not your property why should you have the right to walk on it with out asking someone first

No he wouldn't

She might :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No he wouldn't

You just made her madder :p
    Shes well within her rights to walk her ground with her shotgun. You are not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

An absolute fooking disaster.
    There's only a tiny% have the decency to respect others property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

There are trip wires installed all over my land. Tread softly for you tread on my dreams. This land is mine land.

Actually I live in the city and local lads running away from the Gardaí cut through our gardens. Scares the living sh!te out of me, I could be in the kitchen bollock naked some days and they burst out of a hedge. I had to ring the guard who lives in the next road last year because a fella being pursued hid in our wheelie bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

This right to roam is something that has being trying to creep in here from the UK I won't walk across my neighbors land and I know them all my life and would find it cheek for a stranger to walk across mine. I wrote some of the reasons for this on my blog a while back
    https://blackfieldfarm.com/right-to-roam-ireland/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement