Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning permission for extension - want to tweak it

• 30-07-2020 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

We bought a house with planning permission for a 1st floor extension over 8 years ago. Never built it so the pp is now expired. We're now looking into the possibility of doing the extension but don't want it exactly as the current plans describe.
    The house is a pretty standard suburban Dublin semi-d with an extended ground floor, original plans (work was signed off) for that extension included foundations suitable for building above. What we want is to add two new rooms above.
    So I have a couple of questions.
    Firstly is pp about the exterior rather than the interior? They have entrance to the new rooms up a couple of steps from the turn in the stairs, i.e at the moment it turns to the right, current plans have it go right and left. We'd prefer to leave the stairs as is and extend the landing to the new rooms by taking a bit off an existing room. Is that a pp issue?
    Second question is that from the outside the differences between the granted plans and ours would just be the absence of an ensuite window at the side of the house (we don't need it) and the bathroom window at the back would be in a slightly different position, maybe slightly different size, nothing more than a foot difference. That's the external difference.

So the main question is, would these tweaks be likely to be considered minor amendments in which case we could just resubmit the original plans or would we need to engage an architect to draw up completely new plans?

Or do I just need to contact the planning office and ask them?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

tscul32 wrote: »
    We bought a house with planning permission for a 1st floor extension over 8 years ago. Never built it so the pp is now expired. We're now looking into the possibility of doing the extension but don't want it exactly as the current plans describe.
    The house is a pretty standard suburban Dublin semi-d with an extended ground floor, original plans (work was signed off) for that extension included foundations suitable for building above. What we want is to add two new rooms above.
    Firstly is pp about the exterior rather than the interior? They have entrance to the new rooms up a couple of steps from the turn in the stairs, i.e at the moment it turns to the right, current plans have it go right and left. We'd prefer to leave the stairs as is and extend the landing to the new rooms by taking a bit off an existing room. Is that a pp issue?
    Second question is that from the outside the differences between the granted plans and ours would just be the absence of an ensuite window at the side of the house (we don't need it) and the bathroom window at the back would be in a slightly different position, maybe slightly different size, nothing more than a foot difference. That's the external difference.

So the main question is, would these tweaks be likely to be considered minor amendments in which case we could just resubmit the original plans or would we need to engage an architect to draw up completely new plans?

Thanks for any advice

Your original planning is gone, therefore it is irrelevant. Planning is primarily concerned with the exterior and usage, ie you wont get planning for a nightclub extension onto a 3bed semi :) It would be best to have the current plans adapted before replying, however the changes you are suggesting I would imagine, would not put you in contravention of the planning should you get the current plans approved, you should run it by the engineer signing off the build to be sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for any advice

Planning expired.
    You need to engage a planning agent to prepare a new application now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that the permission has expired and is no longer relevant. My issue I suppose is whether it's worth the cost of engaging someone to do up plans (no idea the cost) again if I could just resubmit the same ones which would hopefully get permission granted again. And then just not do the ensuite part.
    Will have a chat with some builders first and see if we can even afford the extension at the moment.
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that the permission has expired and is no longer relevant. My issue I suppose is whether it's worth the cost of engaging someone to do up plans (no idea the cost) again if I could just resubmit the same ones which would hopefully get permission granted again. And then just not do the ensuite part.
    Will have a chat with some builders first and see if we can even afford the extension at the moment.
    Thanks again.

If it’s only an internal en-suite then that’s fine.
    The issue is if you have the original files that can printed to scale and lodge.

Advertisement