Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dating around covid

Options
  • 25-07-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How are people dating around this?

I was happy being single but I accidentally got myself a date. I met a guy and got chatting, and we hit it off and now I have a date. I thought I would just go with it and see what happens.

But we're meant to be staying away from people and I have been paranoid with what's been going on.

So how are people dating and all that with covid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Moonbeams8

I've been on a few first dates where we've gone for coffee or a walk and so its been easy to keep a social distance. I've found the guys I've dated to be considerate and respectful about it.

If I went on further dates with a guy and I was more comfortable with him/saw myself spending more time with him then I think social distancing would become less important! Its a balance between living your life with the virus and trying to do the right thing to stop the spread...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Floricwil

A socially distant walk and coffee might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Floricwil wrote: »
    A socially distant walk and coffee might be an option?

For how long, though? Most people are going to want to lock lips before long if they fancy each other.

I've very little interest in dating at the moment for this very reason. It's just going to be a bit weird and awkward to try and navigate the Covid situation for a while so I'm just not even going to put myself in the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Floricwil

Dial Hard wrote: »
    For how long, though? Most people are going to want to lock lips before long if they fancy each other.

I've very little interest in dating at the moment for this very reason. It's just going to be a bit weird and awkward to try and navigate the Covid situation for a while so I'm just not even going to put myself in the position.

I’d cross the issue of “locking lips” if/when it comes up.

Maybe she’ll go on the date and find out she doesn’t fancy him and doesn’t want to kiss him anyway.

If they do fancy each other, and one or both of them is strict about social distancing, I’m sure the other person can respect that given there is a global pandemic happening. Just because they can’t kiss doesn’t mean they can’t get to know each other, meet up and have fun.

Are we supposed to just put our personal and dating lives on hold indefinitely because of Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, I guess it's up to the OP to find her comfort zone.

I'm a very tactile person so going on a date where I can't greet the person with a kiss on the cheek, touch their arm while talking, potentially go in for a kiss at the end would just be weird and unnatural for me, hence I'm just not interested at the moment.

OP what I would say is (as sterile as it sounds!) maybe just agree some "rules of engagement" beforehand so you don't end up in a totally awkward situation where one person leans in for a hug while the other was offering their elbow for a bump when you initially meet, etc.

God, even having to think about stuff like that is why I'm so "Nope!" about the whole situation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I’ll bite and be honest here. I lost someone due to COVID so feel very strongly about obeying government guidance as best as we all can (while not being too harsh on people because mistakes/confusion can happen). Then again, I went on a few dates with someone recently. The first couple were socially distanced, meeting outdoors in situations we could get to know each other at a distance.

Then we decided we liked each other and were going to see how it goes, so we decided to make it physical. Couple nights in a hotel, meals, drive-in movie that kinda thing. It wasn’t as if we were flouting rules completely, just not with each other. You have to live your life too and the latest guidance gives you a bit of leeway: the rules are pretty much ‘use your cop on and don’t take the piss’, which we applied. If it went back a level to where we weren’t allowed see others, I’d go along with it. And I wouldn’t be off lobbing the gob off randoms in a pub either. But if couples who didn’t see each other during lockdown are doing the same while not in each other’s ‘bubble’, I don’t see why single people can’t do the same with the guidelines as they are, IF they’re smart and not totally selfish about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Where have ye met these people ? Tinder? Online dating?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You could have online dates with the guy.

Advertisement