Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭willabur

3 Club plus Putter competition in Corballis
    Got 32 points with 13 handicap

The format was interesting, I chose 56, 8Iron and Rescue/Hybrid. Corballis being Corballis Only a couple of times did I really feel like I didn't have the right club in my hands. The format might have been more of a challenge on a course if there were longer and more par 4s

Another Jekyll and Hyde round for me. Tee to Green I was pretty good. 9 GIR but putting was terrible. Alot of 3 putts. I recently read Bob Rotellas putting out of your mind where the main advice is to think less about putting, pick a line and trust your instinct to get the pace right etc etc... Well I did the complete opposite for the first 13 or so holes. When a winning or even good score was not possible I just started to putt without thinking too much. Holed a few, went real close with a few more. So the plan for next week is to stop bloody thinking about the putts

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Played Moate on Saturday after the rain eased off and though the first 2 greens were very wet the rest of the course was pretty good all things considered. 13 hole competition and I had a 3 over par front 9 with 7 pars which was pretty much as good as I can play I'd say. Slipped up badly on the 11th but finished with 28pts for 13 holes which is good considering off 15 I have no shot on 9,10 or 13 which makes scoring a big finish a bit harder obviously.

Played 18 holes in Mullingar on Sunday and it was the total opposite of Saturday. Never got going. 27pts.

19pts for 9 holes yesterday. Played alright driving I proved from last week and approach play was better. Again short game coat me a few shots which is frustrating, find it hard to practice this time of year. Putting especially long ones much better, rolling them close, had 2 careless 3 putts so need to keep going with puttout during week

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    19pts for 9 holes yesterday. Played alright driving I proved from last week and approach play was better. Again short game coat me a few shots which is frustrating, find it hard to practice this time of year. Putting especially long ones much better, rolling them close, had 2 careless 3 putts so need to keep going with puttout during week
    What HC are you playing off? 19 points from 9 holes and you don't seem best pleased. Wish I had that problem myself 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What HC are you playing off? 19 points from 9 holes and you don't seem best pleased. Wish I had that problem myself ��

no matter what i score, if i have 3putts i'm never best pleased. its a simple enough indicator as to how much better your round could should have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Snackbox20

Back nine competition was changed to the last five twice. Scored 18 pts on the 10. I had a mare with tiddler putts, the coffee was nice in the clubhouse afterwards 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

17 points for 9 holes on Sunday. Drove the ball well & hit irons better than I have been recently. Short game was OK, putting was solid.

Started doing some fitness work & speed training a week or so ago. Could be all in my mind, but did seem to be showing a few extra yards of distance, especially given the soft conditions.

One terrible scratch unfortunately. Par 5 8th hole. Hit a good drive, and a good 5w. Was left with about a 60yrd pitch in. Duffed it, then pitched on from 50yrds, but left about 20ft short. Hit a positive first putt, but a bit too positive, and missed a 5ft putt for a point back.

Was a pity, as was pretty good play outside of that blip

What HC are you playing off? 19 points from 9 holes and you don't seem best pleased. Wish I had that problem myself 😂

Handicap 23, 12 for 9 holes comp. But 3 putts and bad chips killed me. Second last hole saved me with a 4pt birdie, scoring was just too up and down with far too many doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I shot a 92 on the par 72 Connemara golf club, left a good few shots out there...

The weather was a bit windy which make the course more difficult as it's so open by the sea there.

Very enjoyable tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

36 points playing off 14.

8 pars, all on par 4s. Generally the par 3s and par 5s all feature in the 9 holes that played easiest on the course.

8 bogies and 2 scratches both on par 5s.the first I played an Iron off the tee to play safe and lost the ball. Hit the driver for the provisional and put it in the perfect position on the fairway. But then mi**** and iron so it didn't matter anyway. The second scratch I went for the green in two. Went right with my second and the ball must have plugged - it was nowhere to be seen.

2 3 putts but the second in particular was almost the length of the green, probably about 60 feet. And the first was a bit of a magic road situation. However I look at it I can't see how the first one wasn't uphill. But it certainly didn't behave like it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Only around 34 points over the 18, but was the first time i played with both the driver and irons. Hit some superb drives, but i have been coming up on the backswing a bit too much, so a few were pretty erratic. I know what to do to work on that though. The irons felt really nice. Far more sturdy then my other set, and definitely further distance. I seem to them longer in winter then my blades in summer, which is mad.

Bit more practise before i properly start back up in Feb (when i join the club), and i think i may actually start scoring well.

I decided to tackled Connemara again today ...

I shot one better a 91 today .. hole 7 a long par 5 killed me, lost two balls ...

Lovely day for it...

Two 9 hole rounds over weekend both on the winter course playing off 12.

Saturday
    19 points, 2 scratches and 16 putts. Just solid golf really. First and last holes really were poor drives where I tried to murder the ball and snap hooked into trouble.

Sunday
    14 points 1 scratch and 18 putts. Again first hole just a horrible shot but found 4 out of 6 fairways after it so driving was grand. A few big bounces on hard icey ground did most of the damage.

Played on Saturday morning on a pretty frozen course. Teeing off mats & playing to temporary greens that were basically impossible to hold as the ground was so firm.

Landing the ball on the green, it bounced all the way through & run about 3-4 yards through, even coming in with a wedge in hand.

Landing the ball a couple of yards short & the ball wouldn't make the green as the areas around the greens were actually much softer.

Finished with a cold, and very unmotivated 15 points for 9 holes. Hard to swing easily standing on a frozen mat, so tee shots weren't great.

I really do hate playing our "Ice" course. Was happy to be out on a nice bright morning for a couple of hours walk, but its not really golf

Oh man. I was between jobs for 3 months (Christmas is a terrible time to look for work!) So I got to play lots of golf. Got my last round in today. I've played worse and scored much better. But I did not play well. And I definitely did not score well! 26 points off 14, 9 points on the front 9! To be honest, any mistake seemed to get the max punishment. Missed the fairway on 2 by overshooting the landing area. Could only hack at the ball to get out it didn't come out and had another terrible lie for my 3rd. Had to play backwards because it was the only way I could get the club to the ball. Lipped out for my up and down from 100m, but ended with a 6 for nothing. 6th hole par 3 - ball completely plugged in the side of a bunker. Got it out, but barely. Had to stand in the bunker for my 3rd and swing the club like a baseball bat. Still couldn't get onto the green. Didn't get the up and down, another scratch. 7th hole I pushed my approach badly. Took 3 to get out of the rough thanks to more shocking lies and didn't get up and down for the point. Final extreme punishment was on 12 - hit a six iron into the green for my second. I aimed slightly left of the green to avoid trouble, but absolutely creamed it. It was about 185m downwind to the thick rough and I must have hopped in. Couldn't find it - another scratch.

Now don't get me wrong, I played badly too. But the golfing gods let me away with nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Played on Saturday morning on a pretty frozen course. Teeing off mats & playing to temporary greens that were basically impossible to hold as the ground was so firm.

Landing the ball on the green, it bounced all the way through & run about 3-4 yards through, even coming in with a wedge in hand.

Landing the ball a couple of yards short & the ball wouldn't make the green as the areas around the greens were actually much softer.

Finished with a cold, and very unmotivated 15 points for 9 holes. Hard to swing easily standing on a frozen mat, so tee shots weren't great.

I really do hate playing our "Ice" course. Was happy to be out on a nice bright morning for a couple of hours walk, but its not really golf

Best decision Kilcock golf club made this year was to just close in those circumstances. Its awful golf and I'd rather a txt first thing to say don't bother than roll up to the club and see a flag in the middle of the fairway.

blue note wrote: »
    Oh man. I was between jobs for 3 months (Christmas is a terrible time to look for work!) So I got to play lots of golf. Got my last round in today. I've played worse and scored much better. But I did not play well. And I definitely did not score well! 26 points off 14, 9 points on the front 9! To be honest, any mistake seemed to get the max punishment. Missed the fairway on 2 by overshooting the landing area. Could only hack at the ball to get out it didn't come out and had another terrible lie for my 3rd. Had to play backwards because it was the only way I could get the club to the ball. Lipped out for my up and down from 100m, but ended with a 6 for nothing. 6th hole par 3 - ball completely plugged in the side of a bunker. Got it out, but barely. Had to stand in the bunker for my 3rd and swing the club like a baseball bat. Still couldn't get onto the green. Didn't get the up and down, another scratch. 7th hole I pushed my approach badly. Took 3 to get out of the rough thanks to more shocking lies and didn't get up and down for the point. Final extreme punishment was on 12 - hit a six iron into the green for my second. I aimed slightly left of the green to avoid trouble, but absolutely creamed it. It was about 185m downwind to the thick rough and I must have hopped in. Couldn't find it - another scratch.

Now don't get me wrong, I played badly too. But the golfing gods let me away with nothing!

This reads exactly like so many of my trips around corballis. It knows how to punish you

I played Balkykisteen today, it was a little soft as you'd expect this time of year but the course was not so bad, had a lot of plugged balls.

The courses is really great, lots of fun to play. I shot 21 over after a disasterour start so ended up happy with that

Trending the right direction. Had 20 points for 9-holes yesterday. Should have been a couple better too.

3 bogeys
    6 pars

2 bogeys from weak chips, 1 missed a 2-footer for par that did a loop-the-loop around the hole & stayed out.

Driving was good, zero carry as the ground is so soft. Irons were much better than the last couple of weeks.

Noticed that a good few trees have been cut down around the course on the front 9 (Castlewarden). Some make sense to me & I know that there was a note around saying that a number were diseased. Others seem a bit excessive & remove some of the feature & challenge from a couple of holes

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

13 holes. 25 points off 15.
    Crazy round. Had 4 birdie putts in first 7 holes but only made 2 and 3 putted twice for bogey inside 4 foot and 1 four putt.
    Need to get putting sorted but cannot get over the difference getting fitted has made to my game. Scratched 2 holes too.

• Advertisement

Got to play carlow for my stag on Friday. Played the deerpark back nine and oak park 9. Deerpark 9 were superb, I'll definitely try to keep an eye out for an open in summer. But from being used to corballis greens i couldn't adjust to the slow parkland ones at this time of year. I was on or around the first 10 greens in regulation and had 10 bogies. Had my short game been tuned in I'd have been hoping for about 7 pars from those positions.

4 pars, 3 doubles and a bogey on the last 8 holes. My double on 18 was a shocker. Par 5, beside the greenside bunker in 2. Loads of green to work with, so no stress trying to get over the bunker and stop it - a great chance to finish with a bird. So anyway, duffed it into the bunker then bladed it out 40 yards past the green. Hit a really good shot back on to leave myself a 10 footer for the bogey. Left it 4 feet short and ended up holing a reasonably tricky 4 footer for a double. And a feckin par would have had me first in the stag!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

37pts off 9 with a scr on Saturday,holed absolutely nothing. I had 34 putts after 16 and managed to single putt last two holes from close in..Happy with game for most part

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played a random 9 holes in Ballyhaunis yesterday, and it was bloody nice. Very picturesque off the first tee, and coming in on the 9th/18th hole. Plenty of hills, and some nice elevated greens. They also had a really cool dog :)

Hit the ball decently, and think i've figured out where i was going wrong with my short chip shots. I keep trying to lift the ball, and i end up either lifting my head or my knees, and usually duff it 10 yards in front or blade it 50 yards past. Striking through the ball yesterday stopped that almost entirely. Need more practise, but optimistic so far. Putting is also pretty good at the moment. Now to just get my driving more accurate, and i should be well on my way to getting a good score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

27pts for 12holes with a scratch.
    Driving poorly, but clean and drop within 1 club length helped massively.
    Lacking much ball striking practice recently - so happy with the above.

Quick 9 holes,
    Birdied 1st then 2 pars caused a rush of blood that quickly brought me back down to earth with bogey, double bogey, double bogey.
    2 pars next had me at 18 points for 8 holes.
    Good drive followed by worst shot of the day OOB and a scratch.
    Tough windy conditions so should be happy enough. Hopefully carry good golf into the weekend.

13 holes
    1 birdie (par 3)
    2 pars (par 3 and par 5)
    10 bogeys (9 on par 4s, 1on par 5)
    Putted well but was at least a club short on approach to every par 4 when all holes were front.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Snackbox20

Played our Sunday singles in Dunmore East this morning. Course is undergoing a lot of work and very soft in parts. It was the first 9 hole comp. Scored 20 pts today, my putter needed warming up.
    Played Carrick on suir last Friday week scoring 37 after full 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

29pts for 13 holes which I was pleased with considering I've a touch of flu and wasn't feeling very energetic!

1 birdie which was very close to an eagle.
    6 pars, 4 bogies, 2 doubles.

35 points off 13 in the sunday comp in a windy corballis
    36 putts
    7 GIR
    felt I played pretty well overall but left a much better score out there - a chunked pitching wedge on the 15th hole after a great drive killed my mini charge of 12 points in 5 holes. The course was in great condition. Gusty wind made it quite tough at times, really difficult to judge what it was going to do to the ball at times

• Advertisement

17pts for 9 holes, putting was very good 17 putts, no 3putts and lag putting was leaving me with tap ins.
    Approach play was poor enough was hitting them a bit too high and leaving them at mercy of the wind.

Advertisement