Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Love this one

3yPApCM.jpg

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

A thing of beauty.... just look at that cable management!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I was taking that as literally "lost". I've seen nothing from the barge since either, but I've had spotty internet. Any definitive update on the core or barge?

That aside, even if they've lost both, this is an amazing achievement. It's a bit like gradually training a bull to run towards a red rag, then deciding to tie three of them together, balance a catapult on top, and getting the whole thing right first time. Wow. Just, wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

So stupid question here. Someone asked me tonight if they saw a spaceship over Dublin, I told them it was just a plane. But now I'm watching the liftoff and I'm realising I was very quick to dismiss them and we have seen launches pass over us before.

I looked at the trajectory and I'm sure there was no way they saw this right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

They've landed them before so no biggie. Nothing to prove there, but it would have been nice.

But three cores taking off together and flying at different throttle levels and separating, that's new.

Plus getting 27 motors to fire in a precise and co-ordinated fashion is almost an unparalleled achievement. Only the Russians managed to successfully fire more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I love the way they have the words "Don't Panic" wriiten on the dash referencing The HitchHicker's Guide to the Galaxy.

440965.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

MOH wrote: »
    I was taking that as literally "lost". I've seen nothing from the barge since either, but I've had spotty internet. Any definitive update on the core or barge?

Only one of of the engines fired for the landing burn, so it missed the barge and hit the water at 300mph
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Plus getting 27 motors to fire in a precise and co-ordinated fashion is almost an unparalleled achievement. Only the Russians managed to successfully fire more.

The N1? Wouldn't call that successful...

Only one of of the engines fired for the landing burn, so it missed the barge and hit the water at 300mph

The N1? Wouldn't call that successful...

Well they got them to fire - I didn't necessarily say they got the vehicle into orbit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jawgap wrote: »
    Love that description of the N1 and all those turbopumps - "a plumbers nightmare"

Kuva wrote: »

The more I look at the launch, the more I think the vehicle is essentially Thunderbird 3.......Musk is only a few vehicles and a Pacific island hideaway from being Jeff Tracey!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

That is such a head f**k.
    Everything you've been conditioned to understand about a rocket just gone into reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Another launch tonight? What's all that about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Pelvis wrote: »
    Another launch tonight? What's all that about?

SpaceX launch the standard Falcon 9 rocket about twice a month. Next launch is due Thursday morning March 1 at 0534 UTC. The next Falcon Heavy is not due until sometime this summer.

The recent (50th) Falcon 9 launch couldn't recover the 1st stage due to unfavourable weather conditions for the barge.

What is the financial calculation there?
    A first stage costs around $30m.
    Their current refurb costs are currently $10m-$20m
    Space X charge $60m per launch.
    Is it simply that a missed launch window can never be recouped, so $60m > $30m + $10m/$20m?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

josip wrote: »
    What is the financial calculation there?
    You win some, you loose some.

Not all flights are profitable, ask any airline.

Customers tend to care more about getting their bird up than what happens afterwards. Especially if you have a $330m satellite.

Fights are booked a long time in advance.
    If you are going to the moon or other parts of the solar system, or docking with the ISS then yeah launch windows are kinda fixed.

Using an aircraft as the first stage or having ship (or a site in New Zealand ) an be advantageous in that you can launch at any time, and a lot more flexibility on launch windows.

Customers can pay more for a new unused stage,
    they can pay more for the higher payload that's gotten when you don't carry fuel to reuse a stage.

It's cheaper to go as an additional payload , but the main payload sets the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Another launch in 2 minutes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPQHG-LevZM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

did it launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

emo72 wrote: »
    did it launch?

Yup, watched it live. No issues

It did. But they didn't recover the first stage. Was one of the older block designs, so they didn't bother trying.

It did. But they didn't recover the first stage. Was one of the older block designs, so they didn't bother trying.

Cheaper to dump their rubbish in the ocean than pay to bring it to a landfill?

Well they are using it to gather data for future landings.

Well they are using it to gather data for future landings.

They dumped it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They dumped it

The did mention "a simulated landing" during the broadcast

some more about the attempted fairing recovery
    This time there was no attempt to recover the first stage but it was to perform a simulated landing over the ocean, said Michael Hammersley, a SpaceX materials engineer serving as launch spokesman.

Historically, expended rocket segments have been allowed to fall into oceans, but SpaceX founder Elon Musk has made reusability a key goal in order to drive down launch costs.

SpaceX is also experimenting with recovering fairings, the aerodynamic covering that protects satellites during the first few minutes of a launch and then is shed in two halves that fall back to Earth.

SpaceX has a high-speed ship with an enormous net structure designed to catch half of a fairing as it descends under a parafoil.

Musk tweeted that a problem caused the parafoil to twist during the March 30 attempt and the fairing impacted the water at high speed. He said helicopter drop tests would be conducted to solve the problem.
    https://www.loudountimes.com/business/spacex-launches-iridium-satellites-from-california/article_b21a4972-375b-11e8-be03-cbe462b1d33b.html

The final version of the Falcon 9 launched yesterday for the first time.

https://newatlas.com/falcon-9-block-5-launch/54572/

A few days after successfully landing a booster for the third time, today's attempt was an unplanned water landing.

Not often they lose a booster these days.

• Advertisement

A few days after successfully landing a booster for the third time, today's attempt was an unplanned water landing.

Not often they lose a booster these days.

Is this the one you're referring to?
    It seemed planned from this article.

https://newatlas.com/spacex-rocket-survives-ocean-landing/53217/

SpaceX will typically land its Falcon 9s either on solid ground or on a floating barge in the ocean, but it didn't intend on doing either this time around. Instead, SpaceX had it carry out an experimental, faux landing over the open ocean, firing up three of its nine Merlin engines, rather than just the one it typically uses during the final touchdown

"This rocket was meant to test very high retrothrust landing in water so it didn't hurt the droneship, but amazingly it has survived," SpaceX CEO Elon Musk tweeted. "We will try to tow it back to shore."

Advertisement