Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

willabur wrote: »
    for the hell of it - Here is my course guide

1: Usually a pitching wedge but depending on the wind it can be an 8 iron - large green so a par is a good score
    2: The wind is usually off the right here so take nothing more than an 8 iron of the tee and aim for the right hand side of the gap. That should leave a handy wedge. Birdie chance
    3: Really tough but an amazing hole. From the back teeth aim for the fairway in front of you, if you are forward then you can take a bit off the right hand side. The fairway is undulating and the green is long but narrow, it is protected right by a dune and left a small bunker and another dune. Bogey is a great score
    4: Downhill par 3, 100 yard flick with a wedge. if you land short right you will roll off. Short left is the play
    5: Really tricky short par 4. There is more room out right than you can see from the tee box. If you can the play is a draw with a hybrid of the tee. Should leave 8iron to a wedge
    6: Another par 3, short again you just need a wedge. Beautiful hole where the wind can be deceiving, there is never a breath on the flag but when the ball is in the air it can move alot
    7: Another tricky short par 4. Completely different hole from the back tee, you need to play safe with a 6 iron aimed at the marker. From the front tee you can hit a 5 wood at the green but you can easily lose a ball this way.
    Approach is tricky, you need your yardage to be spot on
    8: Par 4 where you can take the driver. There is water down the left and a slice right will end up with a lost ball. If you can hit a baby fade 250 then you are in good position to hit a big enough green
    9: Long Par 3 which dependent on the wind and pin position could be a 5wood / hybrid or an 8 iron. Water hazard skirts the whole left side of the green down to the front tho in the summer you can easily play out of this. Really good par 3
    10: Straightforward par 3 where a par should be standard enough
    11: Quirky as hell, alot of people go for the green. I think its a recipe for a lost ball. Far better tactic is a 5 iron 10 yards right of the marker and you should avoid the bunker. Left of the marker leaves a blind shot into the green. Even if you are in the bunker you can make a birdie here as long as you don't do something stupid from the tee
    12: Par 5 where it pays to hug the right hand side. If you can't get home in two then aim a 7 iron at the driving nets, Shoudl leave a wedge into a tricky green. For a par 5 a par is a good score
    13: Snakey green - super tricky putt no matter where you land it. Really nice par 3 which is a 9 iron when its not too windy
    14: Another mental challenge of a hole - you need to hit a solid long iron or maybe a 5 wood just short of the dunes. This will leave an 8 iron which 9 times out of ten will be blind. I think a par is a great score here. Lots of ways in which you can go wrong
    15: Straight forward grip it and rip it - two fairways to aim at. Approach shot needs to be accurate to a small undulating green
    16: Usually into the wind it is an easy drive but like 15 the important shot is the approach. A par is a great score here
    17: ALl about the pin position, if its up top then its a tough 9 iron to hold it up there. If its on the bottom then you need to be on the bottom deck, you are better off off the green than on the top deck
    18: Decent closing hole. I like to aim a 5 wood at the two bunkers which should leave me short and a wedge into the green. There is a bunker on the left which eats up more than it should and if you are too far right you can be dead

Played today with a society and this was really helpful thanks! Especially the 2nd where I hit a 7 iron against your advice and it stopped a yard short of the big drop off on the right hand side. I followed more closely after that. I had 34 points off 18 handicap. Really well kept course, greens were in excellent condition and there was barely any wind for us thankfully. Overall it was enjoyable but the par 3s and short par 4s with blind shots got tiresome after a while. I think it's probably more enjoyable once you've played it a couple of times. It's a tough course and I can only imagine it would be a nightmare from the back tees in high winds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

The back tees don't actually make as much of a difference as they do in other clubs to be honest. Don't get me wrong, they make a difference alright, but on most holes it's just an extra club for your second shot and you'll have a similar landing area for your tee shot.

The one hole it makes a big difference on us 7. You're back 40 or 50 yards from the whites. That leaves you hitting a mid to low iron / rescue to a landing area that you can't really afford to miss. It's very challenging, but a great home from the back tees. From the front there's no excuse to miss the landing area to be honest. I've missed it obviously, but I don't have an excuse!

But it's a challenging course for anyone in my opinion. Obviously it's short, but you're left hitting loads of shots from 100 yards which are some of the most challenging for amateurs. There's very little forgiveness if you go wrong and a lot of the greens are very small. I tend to hit it high which is great in that it means where my ball lands it'll probably stay, so I don't have to worry too much about running off fairways and greens. But terrible because it's links golf and it can make where I land almost random at times.

To be honest, I don't have the game for it. I've played balbriggan twice and Tramore and carlow once each since joining corballis. I averaged 34 points on those while not playing particularly well. I've played much better on corballis at times and struggled to break 30. But I'm convinced the course will make me a better golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

they make a big difference on 3 also, otherwise yep the tee positions don't change too much between back and front

As a course its definitely got a puzzle element to it. getting the ball into the right place makes a huge difference. In a funny way you don't need to play the typical links shots of bump and run too much - you can straight up play target golf here.

In relation to whether it makes you a better golfer or not, it definitely helps certain parts of your game but if you played every round in corballis then you will struggle on a course that demands more from the longer clubs in your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've never played it but had heard good things. However based on the course guide above it would seem that its *really* short? (not just the par)
    Seems like lots of irons off tees with wedges into greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've never played it but had heard good things. However based on the course guide above it would seem that its *really* short? (not just the par)

I only counted 3 holes(12,15,16) where you should definitely be using the driver for maximum distance off the tee. There are a few other holes where you could use the driver but it's either high risk and/or not much to be gained from doing so. I hit a driver on the 8th and nearly messed up the hole by landing too close to the elevated 9th tee box, it gave me a blind shot into the green but I managed to make it and get par.

It's an interesting course because maximum distance really isn't a factor in doing well, it's all about controlled and considered shots. As others have said in this thread that's not to everyones taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

for the hell of it - Here is my course guide

1: Usually a pitching wedge but depending on the wind it can be an 8 iron - large green so a par is a good score
    2: The wind is usually off the right here so take nothing more than an 8 iron of the tee and aim for the right hand side of the gap. That should leave a handy wedge. Birdie chance
    3: Really tough but an amazing hole. From the back teeth aim for the fairway in front of you, if you are forward then you can take a bit off the right hand side. The fairway is undulating and the green is long but narrow, it is protected right by a dune and left a small bunker and another dune. Bogey is a great score
    4: Downhill par 3, 100 yard flick with a wedge. if you land short right you will roll off. Short left is the play
    5: Really tricky short par 4. There is more room out right than you can see from the tee box. If you can the play is a draw with a hybrid of the tee. Should leave 8iron to a wedge
    6: Another par 3, short again you just need a wedge. Beautiful hole where the wind can be deceiving, there is never a breath on the flag but when the ball is in the air it can move alot
    7: Another tricky short par 4. Completely different hole from the back tee, you need to play safe with a 6 iron aimed at the marker. From the front tee you can hit a 5 wood at the green but you can easily lose a ball this way.
    Approach is tricky, you need your yardage to be spot on
    8: Par 4 where you can take the driver. There is water down the left and a slice right will end up with a lost ball. If you can hit a baby fade 250 then you are in good position to hit a big enough green
    9: Long Par 3 which dependent on the wind and pin position could be a 5wood / hybrid or an 8 iron. Water hazard skirts the whole left side of the green down to the front tho in the summer you can easily play out of this. Really good par 3
    10: Straightforward par 3 where a par should be standard enough
    11: Quirky as hell, alot of people go for the green. I think its a recipe for a lost ball. Far better tactic is a 5 iron 10 yards right of the marker and you should avoid the bunker. Left of the marker leaves a blind shot into the green. Even if you are in the bunker you can make a birdie here as long as you don't do something stupid from the tee
    12: Par 5 where it pays to hug the right hand side. If you can't get home in two then aim a 7 iron at the driving nets, Shoudl leave a wedge into a tricky green. For a par 5 a par is a good score
    13: Snakey green - super tricky putt no matter where you land it. Really nice par 3 which is a 9 iron when its not too windy
    14: Another mental challenge of a hole - you need to hit a solid long iron or maybe a 5 wood just short of the dunes. This will leave an 8 iron which 9 times out of ten will be blind. I think a par is a great score here. Lots of ways in which you can go wrong
    15: Straight forward grip it and rip it - two fairways to aim at. Approach shot needs to be accurate to a small undulating green
    16: Usually into the wind it is an easy drive but like 15 the important shot is the approach. A par is a great score here
    17: ALl about the pin position, if its up top then its a tough 9 iron to hold it up there. If its on the bottom then you need to be on the bottom deck, you are better off off the green than on the top deck
    18: Decent closing hole. I like to aim a 5 wood at the two bunkers which should leave me short and a wedge into the green. There is a bunker on the left which eats up more than it should and if you are too far right you can be dead

that bloody hole drives me crackers - it's easily one of the worst holes on the course... Played that hole countless times, myself and another lad and between us we've tried every line and almost every club off that tee and in the main - we end up searching for our balls. Straight over the marker is a lost ball. What sort of a marker is that?

The few times I haven't lost the ball was when I took a 9 or a wedge and literally plonked the ball at the top of the hill.

It's a hole better suited to crazy golf in my eyes... a carnival hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

they make a big difference on 3 also, otherwise yep the tee positions don't change too much between back and front

As a course its definitely got a puzzle element to it. getting the ball into the right place makes a huge difference. In a funny way you don't need to play the typical links shots of bump and run too much - you can straight up play target golf here.

In relation to whether it makes you a better golfer or not, it definitely helps certain parts of your game but if you played every round in corballis then you will struggle on a course that demands more from the longer clubs in your bag.

with the wind? target golf is a rare day up there

lawred2 wrote: »
    with the wind? target golf is a rare day up there

I mean there isn't much chance to chase a ball there. You need to put the ball in the air and in a lot of cases up there you fly the ball to a specific location and the ball stops there more or less.

and yes it does get extremely windy up there, for me it is a best part of the course as it is a different challenge every day

GreeBo wrote: »

Some of the holes are very short. You can be green in regulation by taking nothing more than a 7 off the tee on 8 of the non-par 3s. I can understand why some people hate it but I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I like different courses like Corballis, I don't really consider it a full golf course. It is a great practice course if you like to play the championship links.

Had a 3 over par round there once and consider it one of my best ever rounds.

On the driver thing , very hard not to hit driver on 3 , when you know line and have a big carry in you.

Corballis is a great place to put discipline in your game, you teach yourself to play safe , and was hard for me to do that , so place out good course management in me, that I didn't have.

I've always loved it , but price daft some of the time now.

Must head out for an open soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

****in hell!

I've come close to shooting that on the front 9 recently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not 1 birdie on any of the 6 par 3's... I've done better myself :)

What makes this more difficult here is that there's only one par 5. When you look at any of the low scores on tour or the course record scorecards, the players virtually always birdie 3 or 4 par 5s.

It's very surprising that he didn't birdie any of the par 3s though. 2, 4, 13 was real birdie chances for a pro. Opportunities for disaster for the rest of us, but birdie chances for the likes of that guy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, 4624yards off the back sticks, I mean LOL (and I do know the course) to put that up as a round in the 50's all considering

slave1 wrote: »
    LOL, 4624yards off the back sticks, I mean LOL (and I do know the course) to put that up as a round in the 50's all considering

It is much much harder than many over 6000 yrds.

PARlance wrote: »
    Not 1 birdie on any of the 6 par 3's... I've done better myself :)

I did note that.

He didn't do great on the shorter par 3s - a flick for him and their most accurate ranges.

Seen a bloke get a 1 once. :D

It is much much harder than many over 6000 yrds.

Ah you know what I mean, plenty of holes he be using nothing more than long iron on a par 4, sure he went through with a 5 wood for his eagle.
    Par 3 is a par 3 on any course and no birds there.
    Great round, don't get me wrong but to say he's joining the 50's club on a par 66 that short and him being a pro and all is just misleading

I wouldn't worry about the yardage when talking about how difficult the course is. It's a factor, but there's much more to it. But in terms of shooting under 60 being a par 66 obviously makes that much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ah you know what I mean, plenty of holes he be using nothing more than long iron on a par 4, sure he went through with a 5 wood for his eagle.
    Par 3 is a par 3 on any course and no birds there.
    Great round, don't get me wrong but to say he's joining the 50's club on a par 66 that short and him being a pro and all is just misleading

I don't think its posted in the manner of joining the 50s club.
    Corballis run a Race to 59 series and he plays in it fairly regularly along with a handful of other pros and club pros.
    I took it to mean he had finally broken 60 in Corballis.

• Advertisement

#50’sClub is what he posted so nothing to do with Corballis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Posted under a Corballis scorecard would indicate otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Felexicon wrote: »
    I don't think its posted in the manner of joining the 50s club.
    Corballis run a Race to 59 series and he plays in it fairly regularly along with a handful of other pros and club pros.
    I took it to mean he had finally broken 60 in Corballis.

he's from that area so it's very much about Corballis.
    regularly see him there and next door at The Island.
    wonder will he see any tour starts in 2020 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

It’s to do with a local pro thing corbalis runs.. no matter the length it’s a great score..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

Played here last week for the third time and shot +2 off 6. Personally I love the place. I find it really makes you think your way around the course rather than bomb it down a fairway. Used the driver 4 times (3,15,16,18). The 9th and 10th I struggle with every time I've played here

Played here last week for the third time and shot +2 off 6. Personally I love the place. I find it really makes you think your way around the course rather than bomb it down a fairway. Used the driver 4 times (3,15,16,18). The 9th and 10th I struggle with every time I've played here

10th is index 18, has to be one of the toughest index 18s - I have played it probably 100 times and pretty sure i have not birdied it.

That said I think they could make it interesting with some bunkering short of the green

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I've only ever heard about this place from here and it makes me want to play it. Even if it is a good 4 hours away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

slingerz wrote: »
    I've only ever heard about this place from here and it makes me want to play it. Even if it is a good 4 hours away!

Haha ya man - I'm desperate for a game there.

As a Tipp man, it sounds like the Slievenamon of Dublin from what I can gather ;)

Anytime ye or any boardsies want to play it let me know. It's a big help having someone try to explain what lies ahead of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Anytime ye or any boardsies want to play it let me know. It's a big help having someone try to explain what lies ahead of you

Any idea if corballis allows weekend(specifically sunday) green fees? Gui members

Advertisement