Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you feel about walkers on your land?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The thread is full of this rubbish. I'd bet not a one of you has ever had a kid fall and make a claim on your land, I'd bet you've never had a cow hurt somebody cutting across a field, all the hard men talking about the shooting you'd do, I bet its all just talk to hide that fact that you just don't want people on your field and thats that. Bringing up the odd compo claim that was in the papers and using that as a justification, I'd have more respect for those who just admit they flat out don't want it.

Your place of work, give me a break, there is no comparison between a field in the middle of the countryside and you know it.

I was up home helping the father draw bales during the week, its sad to think that I couldn't have hopped the fence and went for a bit of a walk up the hills without some lad crying about workplace safety just because I was walking across a patch of ground that has been there for millions of years.
    we have land near a well known monument and the amount of people that s##t on it is unreal.i wouldnt mind a piss and i dont get hung up about it but it just shows you the way people think.if people think they can get away with it they will do anything.never mind the amount of used condoms and other stuff.we have a fine view over the sea and often get people into the yard looking out at it and we take no notice only chat away to them so its not like i m a complete looney about this kind a stuff but you cant ignore what you see either.nobody has the right to go where ever they please either city or country.i would nt go into my neighbours land with out asking permission so how do complete strangers think they can walk wherever they like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I think that rights of access exists to national monuments. I don't know how the upcoming rule changes with respect to registering rights of way might affect those.

If you are doing it yourself regularly and for a purpose, it is likely that you know what you are doing and most people wouldn't have an issue with that. If you scrape your hand on a briar, then you probably aren't going to make any sort of a deal about it. A landowner would be worried about the minority who would decide to go out for a ramble in a field, with their dog and drone, get that scrape and try to sue the landowner for not having erected a "beware of briars" sign.

Sure it was only in the last 10 years or so that lads had to start putting up the signs at gates "warning" people that they were entering a farm. Was there some law change at that time? I can't remember exactly. The signs state the bleedin' obvious, but lads needed to have them up to protect themselves.
    There is a "right" of access but its not explicitly set out. In my experience mentioning "right of way" to a farmer is a good way to start an argument :pac:

Insurance thing is an issue, sometimes overstated, but can be solved through legislation. (speaking about access to monuments here).

Then again, farmers (or anyone) should not get carte blanche immunity from liability, a balance (which existed for a long time to be fair) needs to be struck again, only today it needs to be done by law and not relying on people not being pricks.

However, if farmers insist on no access at all for any reason ever it will not be long before we get a right to roam law. It would be an easy campaign to run (particularly on an EU law basis), particularly given that farmers are subsidized by the EU and state to such a degree.

Anyway, as I said I've very rarely had any issue, probably because farmers viewed someone walking across a field to an obvious ruin or monument as "having business to be there" rather than walking across an empty random field.

I also think it would be a good idea to have a GLAS type scheme to promote and pay farmers for providing/facilitating access to ruins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There is a "right" of access but its not explicitly set out. In my experience mentioning "right of way" to a farmer is a good way to start an argument :pac:

Insurance thing is an issue, sometimes overstated, but can be solved through legislation. (speaking about access to monuments here).

Then again, farmers (or anyone) should not get carte blanche immunity from liability, a balance (which existed for a long time to be fair) needs to be struck again, only today it needs to be done by law and not relying on people not being pricks.

However, if farmers insist on no access at all for any reason ever it will not be long before we get a right to roam law. It would be an easy campaign to run (particularly on an EU law basis), particularly given that farmers are subsidized by the EU and state to such a degree.

Anyway, as I said I've very rarely had any issue, probably because farmers viewed someone walking across a field to an obvious ruin or monument as "having business to be there" rather than walking across an empty random field.

I also think it would be a good idea to have a GLAS type scheme to promote and pay farmers for providing/facilitating access to ruins etc.
    The basic payments system allows for enforcement of good animal welfare and good environmental practices at a minimal cost.
    It is also voluntary, if public access were to become a part of it god knows how many people would opt out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Literally thousands of businesses in Ireland get support from either the EU or the irish government or both so this bull about CAP and people suddenly thinking they have access to your land is just that - absolute bull

Do you think if you walked up to any of the Apple buildings in Ireland and said to the security guards - hey listen i'm an Irish taxpayer and we've given Apple a 13bn subsidy and i now have a right to walk through Apple's premises in Ireland as i chose - do you think you'd get far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

ganmo wrote: »
    The basic payments system allows for enforcement of good animal welfare and good environmental practices at a minimal cost.
    It is also voluntary, if public access were to become a part of it god knows how many people would opt out
    I said a GLAS type scheme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Looks like I opened a can of worms indeed!

Honestly. I totally am seeing where landowners are coming from.
    Theres more to it than just going for a stroll, as many have pointed out, biosecurity, wood cutting, dog ****, upsetting cows, hunting, the list goes on.

It's a lot to contend with. It's just a shame people have little or no respect and think its okay to go off flying drones and bringing their dogs near cattle. And its just a lot for a farmer to have to judge every joe soap on a case by case basis as to what he's up to.

I've always been as respectful as I can when i comes to farms and would avoid any cows/cattle and crops but as i said in my OP that cattle would often spot me a mile off and come running to see what I'm up to. I'd never even open gates, just hop them but maybe that's worse?

I do have a lot of respect for farmers themselves, its an admirable albeit tough job.

I don't agree with the types who would be quick to threaten with guns, but I also don't agree with a large portion of posters in here who act entitled and say "i can go wherever I want the land has been there before you, cows are harmless etc" Most of which seem to have come from the front page and maybe are not rural dwellers or very familiar with farmland.

Anyway, points taken. From now on I'll be much more mindful and next time I bump into one of the women who owns the farm I know I'll ask is it okay to walk up the lane from time to time.

On another note: I'm imagining things vary from place to place. Like a farm that borders a town or city would receive a lot more footfall and trouble than a farm 30km from the nearest shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The thread is full of this rubbish. I'd bet not a one of you has ever had a kid fall and make a claim on your land, I'd bet you've never had a cow hurt somebody cutting across a field, all the hard men talking about the shooting you'd do, I bet its all just talk to hide that fact that you just don't want people on your field and thats that. Bringing up the odd compo claim that was in the papers and using that as a justification, I'd have more respect for those who just admit they flat out don't want it.

Your place of work, give me a break, there is no comparison between a field in the middle of the countryside and you know it.

I was up home helping the father draw bales during the week, its sad to think that I couldn't have hopped the fence and went for a bit of a walk up the hills without some lad crying about workplace safety just because I was walking across a patch of ground that has been there for millions of years.
    No polite way of saying this, but as a resident stay the **** out of my estate.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I walk a lot and I have a question for you. Why would you want to walk on farmland in the first place?

Its going to be a short dead end walk at the best of times. With possible downsides of you inadvertently doing some damage to livestock, crops or to yourself. What a boring walk it is to walk around the average field.

If you want a good walk go to the many Coillte forest or mountain walks or coastal walks and walk to your hearts content there. I am always amazed how few people use these facilities. Or if you are in the countryside you can walk the back roads. Or if you are in a city there are many city parks to walk. All of these are available to the public without any necessity to walk around somebody's place of business, which a farm is.

I walk the countryside because I love rural life. I love seeing the buzzards, foxes, pheasants, and all sorts. It's lovely and isolated, I bring an orange with me and a pair of binoculars and might sit under a tree for a rest then continue on my way.

None of the routes I take are dead ends, it's to get from one back road to another, and the laneways connect them or field makes the distance shorter.

And the reason why I do this vs going off to some marked trail is because I don't want to get into a car and drive 40 minutes to walk some poxy soulless coilte spruce forest for my evening or morning walk.

On the contrary, I think fields and rural Ireland is far from boring, it's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We have a small wood - I have lost count of the times I have asked people not to cut timber out of it, not to shoot in there... our small road is often littered with rubbish thrown out the window of people passing...

You will probably say not all people are like that - and I agree with this.
    But I don’t want the hassle or worry of trying to sort the good from bad - so I have a blanket ban on all people.

But its true, not all people are like that. There is a disconnect in this thread, I am talking about a lad cutting across a field while out for a ramble, the OP is talking about a local guy just out for a walk, but instead of acknowledging that part of country life some people would rather jump straight to complaining about groups causing criminal damage and hypothetical compo claims.

And I do understand the point of not wanting damage done to the land, never said otherwise. I don't agree with any groups of any description going where they please. But I'm not talking about groups, and I just reject the notion that a meadow bordering a bog is no different to a conference room in the Bank of Ireland.

To be clear, I am talking about a field out in the countryside. I would never go near a farmers buildings or equipment, to me that is the point where I would be concerned about potential theft or trespass. Which is why I asked my original question about the practical side of getting permission. I am walking through a lower meadow, to get permission for that I would have to walk through the field up into a farmers yard and hunt around for him, how on earth is that better than just continuing on through the field and then off his land anyway?

If your answer to a local lad asking that question is to never go into the fields in the first place then I think it sad what local communities have come to.

Rosahane wrote: »
    :D

Going back a decade to take an out of context post about people blocking roads in housing estates is just pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Going back a decade to take an out of context post about people blocking roads in housing estates is just pathetic.
    This is fake news, your fake news.

Your account is just over 9 years old.

The state of this thread.

I believe I have tried to give reasoned posts explaining my own honest thoughts on the OP and I stand by my words, hopefully those reading will see past the petty jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

And if people wandered in off the road, poking around the bales, looking at the machinery you'd be cool with that? You probably wouldn't be long telling them where to go. First and foremost, farms are not safe. It most definitely is a workplace and full of workplace hazards. Cattle, machinery, tools, buildings that would be far from spec, even uneven ground can put out a few ankles. Best keep all that badness away by keeping people out.

Saying the land has been there for millions of years is complete bull****. So has the land your house is built on - the use of it has just changed. Would you allow people roam around your garden and your house?

Letting just anyone walk the land is asking for trouble. I'd have no problem with people I know who have genuine reason - no garden, foraging, etc - not someone looking for a gawk or trying to make trouble, and they ask for permission and we can have a conversation about dangers. Unlike the buffoons who go lamping for rabbits without saying anything to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Why do you think that walking in a medow does no harm?

Grass is a crop same as any other. Walking on it damages it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I do a lot of walking in my area. Often I cut across fields for a shortcut or just walk the farm lanes.

I've bumped into two of the farmers while walking the laneways and they never said anything to me. Just drove past in their tractors and I gave them a nod and a wave.

There's another farm complex I've started taking a shortcut across every now and then. Maybe a few times a year. I just hop the fence and walk across 3 grassy fields and try avoid any crops/cattle. Although the cattle sometimes does get excited when they notices me and comes for a gawk and I would be ducking under the odd electric fence. I don't know who this farmer is tbqh.

Would farmers in general be bothered by this? I don't want to be upsetting anybody but I grew up in a different area and always walked the fields and was generally an outdoorsy person so I still do it.

Mod noteThread closed.

Ok OP I think you've got your answer. The general fear in the farming community is that if you 'give an inch people will take a mile'.

PM me if you want to discuss re-opening this thread.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement