Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The other tours in the world have to unite as one and IMO the unification of all the rest of the likes of the Asian, Sunshine tour in South Africa, Japan, Australasian and Korean tours alongside the European tour, is absolutely paramount to safeguard the professional golf game in the world.

If you unify all those tours, how do you support the same number of players/members?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you unify all those tours, how do you support the same number of players/members?

They can't, that's the thing. It's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd say we're not far off having a 1 world tour with the top 200 players and then secondary tours falling in behind that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd say we're not far off having a 1 world tour with the top 200 players and then secondary tours falling in behind that.

Is that not basically just the PGA tour today though?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is that not basically just the PGA tour today though?

Pretty much but the European Tour is still trying to compete with the PGA tour by having Rolex events etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Pretty much but the European Tour is still trying to compete with the PGA tour by having Rolex events etc.

Which is probably the way it should/will continue.

1 tour isn't good for the game as you need big tournaments across the world. At least with the current situation you get a good tournament pretty much every week of the year in America and there are some genuine quality events spread around the world.

Golf having more than 1 tour where you can make good money is better for the game than the situation in tennis where anyone outside the top 50 isn't making big money. Golf needs to keep as many tours as possible viable so that more players can earn money from the game and have lower ranked payers of a relatively high standard in contrast to tennis where lower ranked players really struggle to make a living and have no chance of improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

10 events announced by the European Tour with a 6 tournament UK Swing to start things off. Also some Rolex Series events for later in the year

All 6 UK events will be played without specatators

Jul 22-25 (W-S): Betfred British Masters hosted by Lee Westwood, Close House Golf Club, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    July 30- Aug 2: English Open, Marriott Forest of Arden, Birmingham, England
    Aug 6-9: English Championship, Marriott Hanbury Manor, Hertfordshire, England
    Aug 13-16: Celtic Classic, The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport, Wales
    Aug 20-23: Wales Open, The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport, Wales
    Aug 27-30: UK Championship, The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield, England

Oct 8-11: Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open, The Renaissance Club, North Berwick, Scotland
    Oct 15-18: BMW PGA Championship, Wentworth Club, Virginia Water, England
    Dec 3-6: Nedbank Golf Challenge Hosted by Gary Player, Gary Player CC, Sun City, South Africa
    Dec 10-13: DP World Tour Championship, Dubai, Jumeirah Golf Estates, Dubai, UAE

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

And still possibly the Irish open. Can't see many dates that would be suitable or need a change of venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Be great if could get the irish open fitted in. Having 2 events in 2 weeks at the same course is a bit grim. Wonder why they're waiting so long to start up

Mushy wrote: »
    Be great if could get the irish open fitted in. Having 2 events in 2 weeks at the same course is a bit grim. Wonder why they're waiting so long to start up

An I right in thinking there is more than 2 course at Celtic Manor?

Maybe they are using a different one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Remind me wrote: »
    An I right in thinking there is more than 2 course at Celtic Manor?

Maybe they are using a different one

That wouldnt be so bad then, and would make sense. At least theres a plan in place for something anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

On so many levels this is one of the better ones, got to watch it a few times to catch it all....

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/news/articles/detail/the-conference-call/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Very good

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What would be the reasoning for European Tour/Challenge Tour only updating each player's score after every 3 holes on their leaderboard online?

Something like there's a person on every-third-hole to verify their scores type thing instead of someone following every group?

Probably COVID social distancing related, everything is these days

slave1 wrote: »
    Probably COVID social distancing related, everything is these days

Ya I assumed that alright. Just wasn’t sure about what way they were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya I assumed that alright. Just wasn’t sure about what way they were doing it.

I've seen it updating like that plenty of times pre COVID, it's just a ****ty site tbh, compare it to the PGA one, no shot tracker or anything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I've seen it updating like that plenty of times pre COVID, it's just a ****ty site tbh, compare it to the PGA one, no shot tracker or anything on it.

Much easier to do within one country and some weeks within same state than all over europe and world.

I do notice that shot tracker isn't as good when pga play over multiple courses.

I think that's more a case of the PGA site being very very good.

For majors I would avoid using European Tour as my workplace actually feed them the leaderboards for them, so they're wayyyy behind. Whereas for normal European Tour events they update the feed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any reason why European tour is starting on Wednesday last and this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Trampas wrote: »
    Any reason why European tour is starting on Wednesday last and this week?
    Premier League finishing on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyone watching this today? Just wondering about Mikko Korhonen's score on the 12th. I thought he two putted for a 7, but they are all saying he had a bogey. Second went over the green, third in the water, fifth on the green and two putts. Am I wrong about two putts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like Sam Horsfield is going to win again this week. Two massive par saves on 16 and 17 to give himself a small cushion going down the last.

Finally delivering on all the promise he showed as a teenager.

Detry with probably another second place to him too. He can’t be too far away from a win.

What was the reason it was on so late, another 15 minutes and it wouldn't have been finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Remind me wrote: »
    What was the reason it was on so late, another 15 minutes and it wouldn't have been finished?

Stopped for a couple of hours due to lightning in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like the massive talent of Rasmus Hojgaard is going to win his second tour event.

Should take him inside the top 100 in the world too.

Hopefully keeps progressing and can be a huge boost for european golf.

Think Hojgaard will be a superstar.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Graeme McDowell has posted on his Instagram page this evening that he won't be teeing up in the Irish Open at Galgorm Castle due to the logistics of travelling to Northern Ireland from New York, where he will play in next week's US Open at Winged Foot. He will play in the Dominican republic the week of the Irish Open to defend his Corales Puntacana Championship that he won last year.

So no Rory or GMac or defending champion Jon Rahm in Galgorm Castle but Shane Lowry will be there though. We will get to see the full entry list tomorrow but with a considerably reduced prize fund along with the close proximity of the second major, it will be a much depleted field that will be short of quality. The fallout of covid continues to hit the golf world hard and it's economic fallout which has left the European tour footing all the tournaments prize money since the return of the tour in Austria in July.

On a separate note does anyone know whether the GUI will be given the opportunity to nominate some of our elite amateurs to play in Galgorm Castle? I have tried to contact Ireland's amateur golf governing body on this, but with no reply forthcoming.

Sure €1,034,478 for the winner last year, this year €208,334, tells the tale.
    GMac dead right to defend, only proper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

slave1 wrote: »
    Sure €1,034,478 for the winner last year, this year €208,334, tells the tale.
    GMac dead right to defend, only proper

Yeah I would have to agree here. Plus its good manners to defend. I think they should of cancelled the Irish Open this year imo. A change of venue is never good plus I never heard of Galgorm Castle I sure its a good course. I think the European Tour is been hit the most regards Covid were as the PGA tour is still going from strength to strength.

Advertisement