Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

If the structures were built in the last 7 years the Council can take enforcement action otherwise no. There may be some way of getting it addressed but it would be difficult and complex.
    If there some evidence of intensification then that might be a route.

So if I build a house in a remote area with no permission and get away with it for seven years all is good?
    wow,good to know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So if I build a house in a remote area with no permission and get away with it for seven years all is good?
    wow,good to know.
    False.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

BryanF wrote: »
    False.
    Could you explain why please?
    (not doubting you.just curious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Could you explain why please?
    (not doubting you.just curious.)

You’ll never sell it being the first problem you’ll encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭onrail

A couple who rent locally are applying for planning permission to build on a (rural) site nearby, but not adjacent to my house. They own 2 dogs that are terrorising other animals in the area, intimidating walkers etc. Obviously the locals aren't best pleased with them potentially moving to the area permanently.

Does anyone know whether nuisance caused by dogs would be grounds for a planning objection?

• Advertisement

onrail wrote: »
    A couple who rent locally are applying for planning permission to build on a (rural) site nearby, but not adjacent to my house. They own 2 dogs that are terrorising other animals in the area, intimidating walkers etc. Obviously the locals aren't best pleased with them potentially moving to the area permanently.

Does anyone know whether nuisance caused by dogs would be grounds for a planning objection?

No it’s not grounds for a planning objection. Ring the guards.

No it’s not grounds for a planning objection. Ring the guards.

So I’m guessing their claim for local needs (Which is spurious anyway) couldn’t be argued against on the basis that the animals may pose a threat to livestock?

they’ve been warned plenty of times and the sob stories have kept everyone from calling the guards. To be honest, it’d be easier for everyone if they just vacated. Guards/warden will be called at the next infraction though.

(Sorry to derail)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

So I’m guessing their claim for local needs (Which is spurious anyway) couldn’t be argued against on the basis that the animals may pose a threat to livestock?

they’ve been warned plenty of times and the sob stories have kept everyone from calling the guards. To be honest, it’d be easier for everyone if they just vacated. Guards/warden will be called at the next infraction though.

(Sorry to derail)

if their local need is spurious you can just base your objection on that, however note if they are renting in the area north of 7 years (I think) they could claim a local need as good as anyone else.

(Sorry to derail)

Worrying sheep is not a legitimate planning concern and would be considered vexatious. If you have a concern about animals call the guards of the dog warden in your local council.

Worrying sheep is not a legitimate planning concern and would be considered vexatious. If you have a concern about animals call the guards of the dog warden in your local council.

That’s grand - thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Anyone any ideas if being a teacher in a local
    school would constitute a significant local need - hoping to do a rural self build in the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas if being a teacher in a local
    school would constitute a significant local need - hoping to do a rural self build in the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance.

Unlikely but check the County Development Plan for a definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

Anyone in the know, your help would be really appreciated.
    I’ve objections to a proposed one-off house in my area (rural Carlow) recently resubmitted for planning permission after an initial refusal.

My objection is on the basis of traffic and the quality of the road over which the development is taking place. Now, while I believe I’ve a case, the application includes reported words from the council roads engineer who stated that the road is fine for development.

I believe that there are a number of other problems with the application which being honest don’t strictly concern me, such as access conditions, an inaccurate account (or a downright lie!) regarding the applicant’s workplace location and possible right of way issue involving a third party (who is currently incapacitated).

Would it be advisable of me to focus the point of my initial concern, or would it be better to include all possible discrepancies in my objection letter. Ultimately, I don’t want my letter to come across as vexatious but I want to do everything in my power to prevent the development.

Anyone?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but I want to do everything in my power to prevent the development.

maybe that's why you're not getting responses?

Anyone in the know, your help would be really appreciated.
    I’ve objections to a proposed one-off house in my area (rural Carlow) recently resubmitted for planning permission after an initial refusal.

My objection is on the basis of traffic and the quality of the road over which the development is taking place. Now, while I believe I’ve a case, the application includes reported words from the council roads engineer who stated that the road is fine for development.

I believe that there are a number of other problems with the application which being honest don’t strictly concern me, such as access conditions, an inaccurate account (or a downright lie!) regarding the applicant’s workplace location and possible right of way issue involving a third party (who is currently incapacitated).

Would it be advisable of me to focus the point of my initial concern, or would it be better to include all possible discrepancies in my objection letter. Ultimately, I don’t want my letter to come across as vexatious but I want to do everything in my power to prevent the development.

The Planning system is not a stick to beat people you don’t like with, these people will be privy to your objection.

The Planning system is not a stick to beat people you don’t like with, these people will be privy to your objection.

Apologies, I should have worded my post a little less harshly. I've nothing personal against the applicant, but I have firm concerns relating to traffic congestion caused by the proposed development.

My query simply is whether my letter of objection should focus exclusively on my primary objection, running the risk that the PA does not share my concern, or whether I should also include other items as part of my objection.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    maybe that's why you're not getting responses?

My post was poorly worded and not meant to come across as a NIMBY objection, I genuinely have traffic concerns, but I know that these things are rarely black and white or even consistently applied. Submitting an objection on the basis of one single point would be a risk IMO. Just looking to see whether others share this opinion.

Traffic and access concerns is a very measurable and standardised issue.

Its not subjective, so it won't come down to opinion..... Whereas issues such as loss of privacy, light, design etc are very subjective issues.

So it won't come down to whether the planner agrees with you or not, it will simply come down to whether your objection has tangible merit or not.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Traffic and access concerns is a very measurable and standardised issue.

Its not subjective, so it won't come down to opinion..... Whereas issues such as loss of privacy, light, design etc are very subjective issues.

So it won't come down to whether the planner agrees with you or not, it will simply come down to whether your objection has tangible merit or not.

Three planning applications in the same area have been both granted and refused in the last few years, all quoting traffic safety, width/alignment/condition of the road within the decision.

I don't mean to be arsey, I just see inconsistency as a risk.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I should have worded my post a little less harshly. I've nothing personal against the applicant, but I have firm concerns relating to traffic congestion caused by the proposed development.

My query simply is whether my letter of objection should focus exclusively on my primary objection, running the risk that the PA does not share my concern, or whether I should also include other items as part of my objection.

Focus on the planning issues, the Planners are well educated people and tend to be good at rooting out people who lie in an effort to beat regulations.

Focus on the planning issues, the Planners are well educated people and tend to be good at rooting out people who lie in an effort to beat regulations.

Appreciated - 100%.

I suppose to rephrase my question, is the inclusion of several grounds for objection likely to be seen as vexatious, or strengthen my objection? They will all certainly be relevant planning issues, but maybe only 1-2 (total 5) of them will strictly be relevant to me.

Appreciated - 100%.

I suppose to rephrase my question, is the inclusion of several grounds for objection likely to be seen as vexatious, or strengthen my objection? They will all certainly be relevant planning issues, but maybe only 1-2 (total 5) of them will strictly be relevant to me.

As long as they’re relevant and relate to Planning matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MichJoe

Hi all, I would be very grateful if anyone had any advice on a query we have with our recent planning application in Co.Roscommon ( rural area). We have applied for planning permission for a self build home on my family farm and have received a further information request. Basically we had hoped to set the house well in from the main road but the planning authority have asked for a justification in doing so, being honest we don't really have any other reason for doing this other than out own personal preference for privacy and comfort but I know that won't fly with the planners. We don't own the field across from the site or to one side of the site which was one reason we had hoped to keep it back as then at least we weren't running the risk of another house being built in the future very close to ours. Has anyone been through this before and would know what kind of thing would count as a justification for planning purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

MichJoe wrote: »
    Hi all, I would be very grateful if anyone had any advice on a query we have with our recent planning application in Co.Roscommon ( rural area). We have applied for planning permission for a self build home on my family farm and have received a further information request. Basically we had hoped to set the house well in from the main road but the planning authority have asked for a justification in doing so, being honest we don't really have any other reason for doing this other than out own personal preference for privacy and comfort but I know that won't fly with the planners. We don't own the field across from the site or to one side of the site which was one reason we had hoped to keep it back as then at least we weren't running the risk of another house being built in the future very close to ours. Has anyone been through this before and would know what kind of thing would count as a justification for planning purposes?

Roscommon Co Co have published a rural housing design guide, which can be used and referred to as justification for the siting of the house. You should also look at policies in the County development plan.
    It should be a technical planning approach rather than a personal preference.
    Your architect should be to advise on this with wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MichJoe

Thanks yeah we have been through that alright and thought we had a lot of the aspects covered , it doesn't really mention a maximum distance from the road so weren't sure what is acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

Hi All,

I've recently bought a house. It's a semi-d in Dublin in a fairly populated area.

I want to build a dormer window on my attic. It's 5m in width. I've shown my neighbour (to the right that I share a roof with) my plans but he wants to object for two reasons

1. Aesthetics (he's less concerned about but there is precedence on the road)
    2. Privacy - says will will be able to see into his garden. (I can clearly see into his garden now from my upstairs)

Do you think he can successfully object - any experience? I really can't afford any delays and i'm wondering is it worth it. The architect says I need the dormer for the height and the stairs. no dormer means no attic conversion.

Thanks

If you can't afford delays then look for an alternative.

The neighbour can appeal to an bord pleanala after the council grant permission, and that could hold up any works for another 6 months.

So you could realistically be looking at 12 months before you could even start work

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi All,

I've recently bought a house. It's a semi-d in Dublin in a fairly populated area.

I want to build a dormer window on my attic. It's 5m in width. I've shown my neighbour (to the right that I share a roof with) my plans but he wants to object for two reasons

2. Privacy - says will will be able to see into his garden. (I can clearly see into his garden now from my upstairs)

Do you think he can successfully object - any experience? I really can't afford any delays and i'm wondering is it worth it. The architect says I need the dormer for the height and the stairs. no dormer means no attic conversion.

Thanks

If the dormer is at the back is planning required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi All,

Thanks

Have a look around your area, if you can see other properties that have same, then look on coco site and see if observations/ appeals have been lodged then, you may get a better idea. ABP takes into account precedent far better than local coco, IMO. Many people don’t understand overlooking and overshadowing properly and will apply it incorrectly in their observations and leaving it up to local coco planners, unfortunately, is our only option.

Advertisement