Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crooked Teeth..

• 03-06-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping to get advice for the above issue.

I have what I would describe as extremely crooked teeth, lower and especially my two front teeth.

I'm now 28 and fear I have or am developing a mental health issue because of it.

I think about my crooked teeth all the time, avoid smiling when people are looking at me and constantly pull, mess and examine my teeth in the mirror, screens, phone etc..

Whenever I see others with good teeth it embarrasses me and makes me think of how bad mine are.

Would anyone have advice on how to get over this? It seems to make me more paranoid about myself as time goes on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Would braces be an option for you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's common enough for people in 20s+ to get braces these days - have you talked to someone about that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Hi All,

I was hoping to get advice for the above issue.

I have what I would describe as extremely crooked teeth, lower and especially my two front teeth.

I'm now 28 and fear I have or am developing a mental health issue because of it.

I think about my crooked teeth all the time, avoid smiling when people are looking at me and constantly pull, mess and examine my teeth in the mirror, screens, phone etc..

Whenever I see others with good teeth it embarrasses me and makes me think of how bad mine are.

Would anyone have advice on how to get over this? It seems to make me more paranoid about myself as time goes on.

Why don’t you go to a good Orthodontist when they reopen post Covid19 restrictions.

Make an appointment with your Dentist. He will complete all necessary fillings etc and afterwards he can refer you to a good Orthodontist.

He will most likely suggest train track braces if your teeth are that crooked. It will probably take two years. Cost about €5k. But the aftermath will be great and it should provide you with a good confidence boost.

If you are an PAYE employee, you can claim 20% back in tax relief. Many Orthodontists have payment plans. Consider it an investment in yourself !

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Got braces at 34 and they were on for a year. Best thing i ever did. Some of my best mates went and got them too after i blazed a sort of trail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I had braces for 7months, visit an orthodontist or a dentist who deals with cosmetic dentistry. Cost around 3000 euro if I remember correctly, including cosmetic bonding and whitening. It completely changed my smile and bopsted my confidence. I didnt realise how much my teeth bothered me until the job was complete. Worth every cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Going to see an orthodontist is the logical answer to this but you didn't mention it at all. Why? Are you self-conscious about wearing braces at 28? Is cost a problem?

It is a lot of money to come up with but it's well worth it. Don't be afraid to shop around and see if you can find an orthodontist who does payment plans. It can't hurt to have some solid information about what's needed to sort your teeth out, rather than torturing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey, cheers for the replies..

Yes, I have been to Dentist in the last year but never enquired about alignment.

I'm very reluctant to get braces at this stage of my life due to my current job which requires daily meeting and face to face situations. I'm more inclined to go the crowns/veneers route if possible, as it seems like a quicker route.

All corrections I have researches appears to have pros and cons....

It's so common now and sure you can get the clear "train tracks"/invisalign etc depending on the work needed. I had the clear train tracks and work in HR. Interviewing, meetings every day... it didnt impact at all.

Dont destroy perfectly good teeth in your mouth if a bit of alignment will sort them out. So many people in their 30s have braces. One of the guys in work was in his 40s and had them. Do it, you wont look back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OP 3 of my friends, all professionals, got braces as adults. They were train tracks (not sure if there's a nicer name for them), but were white so fairly discreet. I think it was for 2 years, and now they're sorted. To be honest I never noticed anything wrong, but each of them said they found themselves never smiling proper in photos in case they're teeth were visible. I think all three of them would encourage you to go for an appointment and see if you can do anything because of the change it made to them.

It was the improvement in camera phones for me. 10 years ago, never noticed.... 5 years ago, still never noticed then bam.... clarity and vanity :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

My brother is 34 and works in a customer facing role, he got braces 2yrs ago after some deliberation and considers it best thing he ever did. They sorted his teeth out and to be honest, no-one he met batted an eyelid.

Don't destroy perfectly good teeth in your mouth if a bit of alignment will sort them out. So many people in their 30s have braces. One of the guys in work was in his 40s and had them. Do it, you wont look back.

I agree with this. If your own teeth are otherwise fine, don't even think about those so-called "quick fixes". There's a time and place for crowns, veneers etc. but this doesn't sound like it. You can't beat having your own teeth if it is at all possible.

I also think that your self-consciousness about your teeth is affecting your decision making on this. Newsflash: Nobody cares whether you're wearing braces or not. I sometimes see adults with braces on their teeth. I notice it for about half a second, then it's gone again. If I was to be asked now what I think of adults wearing braces, I'd say "Good on them". It shows they care enough about their teeth to fix them up. Not everybody is lucky enough to get their teeth straightened as teenagers so it takes a bit of initiative to get them sorted as adults. You are overthinking this to an enormous degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

My dentist told me your jaw grows until you're 30 so not to get braces before then. My sister has braces as a teenager and her teeth are almost as bad now as they were then because of this.

I have one crown due to breaking a tooth in a fall and I would never ever recommend crowns over braces. People here have mentioned Invisalign, they are not the big chunky silver train tracks of old, they are so discreet. Don't be afraid of them.

They say "teeth have memory" and unless you wear a retainer or have one put in place, the ligaments will pull them back to the their previous position.

I got my braces off and a year later went away for 3 nights forgetting my retainer. When i came home and put my retainer back on, the pain was incredible as they had clearly moved a little.

That being said, i repeat; best thing i ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

They say "teeth have memory" and unless you wear a retainer or have one put in place, the ligaments will pull them back to the their previous position.

I got my braces off and a year later went away for 3 nights forgetting my retainer. When i came home and put my retainer back on, the pain was incredible as they had clearly moved a little.

That being said, i repeat; best thing i ever did.

Yeah any time anyone mentions their kids getting braces I give them the "wear your retainer" speech, because I learned that lesson the hard way. Had braces for two years, was a stupid teenager and stopped wearing the retainer... my teeth have moved back a lot. Not to the same extent, but they are not as straight as they were. And people always say I have great teeth but I am very self conscious because they used to be a lot better. I enquired about getting a new retainer to at least prevent any more movement but nowhere got back to me, I might try again when restrictions are lifted.

Teenagers dont understand the long term ramifications and sometimes need a few lectures about it so I am forever giving the wear your retainer lecture to whoever will listen whenever it comes up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Derdwerker

Hi OP, similar situation here. 27 and a mouth on me like a bombed graveyard. I was born with additional teeth which caused crookedness when my adult teeth came through.

Best thing to do is not worry about it. It sounds cliched I know, but try to forget about it. Go to an orthodontist, as far as a I know, things have moved on from the old traintrack days, so you can probably get a more subtle option. If money is an issue, a lot of places offer payment plans.

I wouldn't wait until 30 before getting them sorted. I got my crooked teeth sorted as a teenager, wore a retainer for quite a while after that and my teeth stayed in place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Go to a dentist to get things started and see whats possible.

I was missing a central incisor (front top) and had a HSE hatchet job done, finally got it fixed when i was 28/29 (including a stint with braces,

Wife has massive overcrowding, she got teeth removed, palatal expansion, braces.

We both did this around the same time.. and we haven't stopped smiling since :D

Go to a dentist, get a treatment plan. Some of it might/will be painful, it will cost but i can tell you from experience, you will wish you did it a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

Felt I should reply to this.

I've had bad teeth all through my teenage years and into my 20's, and like you, it seriously affected my confidence. More than I ever realised to be honest.

Because of the shape of my mouth, I thought it would be a big deal and may not achieve the right result, and for 5 years after starting work, I found other things to spend my money on and repeatedly put it off. At 29, I finally said it was now or never and went to an orthodontist.

As I expected, the advice was from her that I did indeed need surgery (SARPE) on my upper jaw and for a palate expander to be fitted for about 4 months in order to expand my jaw to make space. I'll be honest, the surgery took me a week to recover from, I was not a pretty sight and I couldn't speak properly at all while I had the expander in, but this was only due to the severity of my case and likely will not be a problem for you.

Like you too, I have daily meetings, conference calls with customers, visits to suppliers, etc. and to be honest I did run into difficulties pronouncing some words, but I have to say that absolutely everyone was understanding, empathetic and encouraging about it, with no exceptions. A few months later and the worst was over, the expander was removed and I'm now onto ceramic braces, which were only a €200 premium over traditional train tracks. People honestly don't even notice I'm wearing them, even with the metal archwire.

I've had friends with Invisalign, and while they are very discreet, have their own problems in that you have to take them out at every meal and are limited in the amount of force, and the direction in which they can apply it, so may be slower to correct problems.

Just this morning I had a new wire and elastics fitted, and the little pressure I can feel today reminds me of progress being made.

In terms of cost, the surgery was covered by my VHI (but I would have taken a loan had I needed to) and again isn't necessary for most people. After that, the total cost to me is about €4k. I think I paid €1000 up front, and paying in installments whenever I visit was normal for the orthodontist with no extra charge. Also getting 20% of this back on my tax return, so not too bad overall.

I would really advise against veneers as a quick fix for crooked teeth. As far as possible, any dentist or orthodontist will advise you to retain your natural teeth. The veneers you see celebrities with can cost tens of thousands, and even then many don't look natural at all. You also tend to be better off going to a local, well regarded orthodontist rather than a large chain, since they can afford to give you more time than some of the higher turnover places.

I'd reccomend posting on the Dental Issues forum for more advice if you'd like some more detail on peoples experiences.

Despite the expense, and time consuming process, and even though I've a way to go yet, it has been by far the best decision I have ever made. I genuinely encourage you to to the same - it will absolutely change your life. Please feel free to send me PM with any questions, however small you may have, about the process. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Definitely see an orthodontist, my two eye teeth didn't fall out so I had baby teeth in my late 30's I saw a prosthodontist who told me your natural teeth are best teeth you will ever have and he sent me to see an orthodontist I put it off for a few years but eventually went and go braces and adult teeth brought down into place as well as my arch/bit widened to make space for them. I worked well for on tooth but I had to get an implant on one side. I'm very happy with the result and wish I'd done it sooner.

If you get braces it will be uncomfortable even sore for a while but then it's no big deal, however make sure to clean your teeth well it's important!

Veneers will last you maybe 10 years then you'll be getting it done again and again and then what will the stumps be like when you are in your 80's . The results with braces will be so much better and in the long run much cheeper. So many people are getting it done later in life it's not a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

OP - nobody will be judging you wearing braces as an adult. In fact the opposite! Many adults are conscious about their teeth in general and may be envious of your decision to get braces because they will know how great your teeth will look in 12- 18 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

I got braces when I was 33 for about 1 year. I didn't get a single negative comment. I did, however, inspire to other colleges to also get their teeth sorted.

I can only recommend it.

Update:

Hi All,

I have decided I might go for braces due to the restrictions and cost of the veneers. I'll make an appointment with the Orthodontist the next time I have a few days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Hey, cheers for the replies..

Yes, I have been to Dentist in the last year but never enquired about alignment.

I'm very reluctant to get braces at this stage of my life due to my current job which requires daily meeting and face to face situations. I'm more inclined to go the crowns/veneers route if possible, as it seems like a quicker route.

All corrections I have researches appears to have pros and cons....

Get them! I had money in 11 months last year. Had very bad teeth, now they look great, had invisalign, not one person notice I had them, bit of manitaince, but had a payment plan etc,. (I'm 38 male)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Just to remind everyone that, although I appreciate its done with the best of intentions, requesting or inviting PMs is strictly against the Charter in PI.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK OR INVITE ANOTHER POSTER TO PM YOU.

While I'm here, I'll also mention that requesting and offering medical recommendations is against site rules. And posters are asked to refrain from doing this.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice.

I have my first consultation with the Orthodontist tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to get the Invisalign but I'll have to see what he recommends.

Excited and nervous as it's something I've wanted to do for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice.

I have my first consultation with the Orthodontist tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to get the Invisalign but I'll have to see what he recommends.

Best of luck with it all, you won't regret it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice.

Hope it went well. Well done, and best of luck with whatever treatment you go for.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Someone in senior management got train tracks aged about 38 or so. I thought she was brilliant to just go do it. The year flew and now she's got a stunning smile that she uses a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice.

I don't normally post in personal issues, but wanted to add, I hope you get going at this, get the braces on, and your teeth sorted out!

A friend of mine got braces in her very late 30's. She's tall, lovely hair, looks, great confidence in herself, but I remember noticing, in passing, that her teeth were crooked. Then met her one day, and she had got braces! We were all so impressed. Time seemed to fly. She had them off in time for her 40th birthday. I remember being at her 40th birthday party, and she looked stunning!

Advertisement