Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chevron Training V Portobello Institute

• 27-06-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all! I am in the process of applying to study my BA Hons Degree in Early Childhood Care and Education.
    I hope to apply to either Chevron or Portobello Institute to study part time (blended/distance learning).
    I have heard mixed reviews about Chevron which is turning me off but they are the cheaper option and offer an affordable and suitable method of paying my fees, whereas Portobello are dearer and their installment option does not suit me. When I asked the people at Chevron what type of recognition my award will give me at the end, they replied that I would receive a DCYA and NFQ recognised Level 8 degree. I asked them if it was recognised by QQI, to which they replied no. When my brain kicked into action once I came off the phone, I realised that NFQ and QQI are the same awarding body. Is it possible that the guy on the phone just got confused or are they a dodgy service?
    Has anybody any recommendations/reviews/helpful information in helping me to decide please as the deadline is looming in pretty quickly!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.chevrontraining.ie/accreditation.html

I didn't see a degree on their website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

http://www.chevrontraining.ie/Childcare-Honours-Degree-Course-Online/index.html

Looks like a degree. I would seek absolute written confirmation that it will be recognised. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think you need to be clear on a few things.

The awarding body is the University of East London, the degree is at Level 8 on the Irish National Qualifications Framework. Two very different things.

Recognition is another kettle of fish - that is really up to the industry (as in, if you presented to an employer with this qualification, would they be happy?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 preschoolmomma

Thank you all for your responses.
    I rang the DCYA who informed me that while they were aware of Chevron Training, it was not on their list of approved courses for obtaining a degree in ECCE. I also rang my local County Childcare Committee who informed me that they also did not see Chevron or Portobello as an approved training centre due to their awarding body and that the course does not meet all of the requirements necessary to work as manager in ECCE services or to qualify for the higher capitation in ECCE services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Denise Flood

Hi,

I stumbled upon this post. I head up the Early Years Department at Portobello Institute. Our BA Hons in early Childhood studies is validated through London Metropolitan University. It is recognised by DCYA at two exit intervals for the higher capitation in the ECCE scheme. Learners are eligible for the higher capitation and an exit award at Level 7 after two years with us. Learners can then complete their research year exiting with an Honours degree and again this award is recognised by DCYA for the purpose of the higher capitation within the ECCE scheme. Our programme is listed on page 24 of the DCYA's list of eligible programmes. It will not allow me to add the URL link here, sorry.

Please feel free to call me at the college any day and I can answer any other questions that you may have,

Best of luck with your studies,
    Denise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Littlevoice

Hi Preschoolmomma,

I was just wondering how did you get on-did you decide to go ahead with the course and if yes who with?.

I am interested in doing this course and was looking at chevron and even spoke to them on the phone but they never mentioned that the course wasn't recognized by the DCYA or that I wouldn't be able to apply for the higher payment for ECCE once qualified.

Thank you for bringing this to light I would have hated to have gone ahead with it and to have wasted all that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bonnie76

Hi Preschoolmomma,

I was just wondering how did you get on-did you decide to go ahead with the course and if yes who with?.

I am interested in doing this course and was looking at chevron and even spoke to them on the phone but they never mentioned that the course wasn't recognized by the DCYA or that I wouldn't be able to apply for the higher payment for ECCE once qualified.

Thank you for bringing this to light I would have hated to have gone ahead with it and to have wasted all that money.

Hi,
    I'm starting BA in Childcare Studies with Chevron training. They would not/could not advertise so freely on their official website that it is DCYA approved or that you you will be eligible for the higher capitation once course is completed.
    Chevron Training is listed on the DCYA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Littlevoice

Thanks for the update Bonnie76 will get onto chevron tomorrow and see about booking.

Have you ever done a course with chevron before?,I've heard bad reviews re getting back in contact with students re questions about a course they maybe doing.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Chevron Training got in touch and wanted to clarify some things, so I'm posting on their behalf (hence the bump):
    Chevron Training’s BA (Hons) in Early Childhood Studies is validated by the University of East London (UEL). The qualification is listed as a Level 6 qualification on the UK framework, which is comparable to a level 8 qualification on the NFQ (National Framework of Qualifications of Ireland). QQI have produced the following explanation document https://qhelp.qqi.ie/learners/qualifications-recognition-advice/comparing-qualifications-in-the-uk-and-ireland/Qualifications_Can_Cross_Boundaries.pdf

The Chevron Training programme is DCYA (Dept of Children and Youth Affairs) approved. Page 32 on the following link verifies that this course is approved for the higher capitation grant http://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/earlyyears/20161114EarlyYearsRecognisedQualifications.pdf

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DIPLOMATIC

Hi
    I have been looking at the various options of doing a level 7 or level 8 degree in Early childhood studies and I am tempted to do it with Chevron training as you can do it all from home. I don,t fancy travelling in the evenings to college or giving up weekends. The fee for the course is manageable, the only thing and I suppose an important is that the modules look a bit uninteresting and global compared with the options available with other providers. What I would like to know is their anyone doing the course that may give me an insight as to how the course is working out for them
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dogbender

Bonnie76 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm starting BA in Childcare Studies with Chevron training. They would not/could not advertise so freely on their official website that it is DCYA approved or that you you will be eligible for the higher capitation once course is completed.
    Chevron Training is listed on the DCYA website.

Hi I was hoping to start this course , how did you find it? Pros ? cons? Assignment? Course content? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Bump - I'm also trying to decide between the two ... any help with which one? THanks!

Advertisement