Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Dublin played a sweeper yesterday which left Paddy Deegan a free man for a lot of the match. And we all know he plays the role well. I'm not convinced he's suitable at centre back but on days when opponents try to take the centre back out of play, like the Leinster Final, he might do a job there rather than having Padraig Walsh nullified.

Obviously, only those players listed could be played yesterday. We used five subs, mostly forwards which was ideal on the day when down to 14 men and fitness levels low. It helped to keep up the momentum and kept Dublin at bay. Other than Aidan Nolan I don't think there was any other centre field or forward player worth trying ahead of those tried. Perhaps D Blanchfield could have been tried but then Tommy Walsh needed the run too as did the other subs brought on.

I liked the demeanor of Gorta, he's playing a role badly needed, and also liked the players been subbed getting a pat from DJ as they left the pitch. The day of ignoring their contribution is gone. Our current crop need all the support they can get.

Very happy with the win, wasn't expecting it, and the attitude of the players and management.. A freshness all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

A new thing became very obvious from yesterday’s game. DJ has his work cut out to coach that midfield and set of forwards how to play as a team. A lot of me feiners... with the ball and a lot of standing on looking instead of running into the right spot for the easy pass and score. It took more energy out of them to do it wrong than right, but that’s why DJs there. That was one element of Ballyhales play that was impressive. Efficient use of the ball and energy. And the running off the ball and the man in the best position is given the ball. A trait Henry and tommy saw in the early Cody years.
    Delaney is no corner back, and that’s for definite. Then again neither was Noel Hickey. But he got the run around yesterday. Hard to call the younger lads on the team, it being there first outing, but some never impressed during their younger years so I’m wondering what has changed now to have them there.
    Leahy has the ability to be a fantastic link man between forwards and backs as he has pace and a good engine, but he insists on hitting Hail Mary shots rather than just laying it off to the man in the open.
    One very big positive from yesterday was the fight in the team. That really surprised me. They weren’t bullied off the ball. These youngsters had way more fight than normal. Now to channel that and to get dividends by playing cute intelligent hurling, to go with it.
    Who was standout,
    Fogarty was way better than he has been for years, so this could be a good year for him.
    Ryan up front did well, was a lot more direct.
    Aylward, should sit down and watch Richie Hogan videos. Watch how a guy not the fastest or biggest, plays by reading the game and gives himself time by his positional sense and ability to lay-off the ball.
    Finally, Deegan. Nobody on that team has more heart or fight in them. And that guy will always give you 100% of himself. He is the epitomy of a Cody player. But I just don’t think he has the hurling smarts or ability. He’s not commanding enough nor good enough in the air to play full back or centre back. If we played against a team who had only five forwards, I’d want Mullan from Ballyhale as the extra man in the backs. He has the smarts to play that role.
    Cody is going to have some big decisions to make come March. Cos some of the newer players will be far better hurlers with a years experience, than the ones with two/three years experience now. So which do you go with. Take the short term hit for the long term gain?
    We are 5 years since we won the all Ireland now. I thought we were lucky getting to the all Ireland last year. Unless we improve no end, we won’t win it this year either. Couldn’t beat an average Wexford team in Croker last year, says a lot if you want to be the best in Ireland.

At the moment I’d say this is our first 15 and match day squad.

E Murphy

P Murphy
    Delaney
    A N Other
    P Walsh
    Lawlor
    Buckley

Fogarty
    Browne

W Walsh
    TJ Reid
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    Fennelly
    A Mullen

Subs: ( pick your subs from this)
    Darren Brennan
    D Mullen or Deegan or T Walsh for corner back.
    Joey Holden
    E Shefflin ( don’t think he’s good enough defensively for inter county) or D Blanchfield
    James Maher or Alan Murphy
    Leahy
    Aylward
    B Ryan
    E Cody or Sheehan or Scannlon or Brassil or Martin Keoghan or Liam Blanchfield

This was our all Ireland side and to be fair, they were not good enough to beat tipp, even with 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I think Deegan has plenty of smarts and ability which were in evidence yesterday. I do think he isn't the most natural defender and if anything I would live to see him get a start at midfield as he has the engine and athleticism that would suit the position. Ultimatley he wont be centre back come championship time (hopefully Buckley if he is fit) but I do think he has a lot to offer the team/panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

conor05 wrote: »
    Wexford in Wexford Park will be a fiesty affair.

They had our number last year.

A win down there while not massive in the middle of Feb, would give the young squad a boost.

Wexford had a strong enough team out against laois and will hope to keep momentum from last year.We have struggled in recent times and despite the league losing its appeal this match should have a bit if bite to it and will be a good test for lads trying to nail down a place.
    How we deal with the sweeper will be intresting and have we learnt anything over the last few years.This game could suit darren mullen especially in a sweeper role as he has played this role before very well that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see a few lads included against carlow with the wexford and clare game in mind.
    Our lads looked in good shape and mad for work last weekend and we have steadily improved since winning the league two years ago and I think we are definitely on the right track
    Being down the ballyhale lads gives others the chance to step up and I thought Wally led the line well against dublin.John donnelly has great potential.I agree with delaney not suited to corner back despite playing alot of underage at full back but now is the time to try lads in different positions.i would like to see delaney tried at 3 and lawlor at 6 for a match.
    I thought it was surprising to see mossy and tommy come on after missing alot with their club.A few subs who put in a slog might be scratching their heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dionysis wrote: »
    Couldn’t beat an average Wexford team in Croker last year, says a lot if you want to be the best in Ireland.

Wexford are far from average as I am sure Cody et all are well aware of.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Wexford are far from average as I am sure Cody et all are well aware of.

Wexford should have beaten Tipp in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Grats wrote: »
    Wexford should have beaten Tipp in the semi final.

Absolutely and if they find a few for the bench will be serious players, their style of hurling is particularly gruelling and requires 20 players. If Wexford are 'average' I'd love to know who is above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

A new thing became very obvious from yesterday’s game. DJ has his work cut out to coach that midfield and set of forwards how to play as a team. A lot of me feiners... with the ball and a lot of standing on looking instead of running into the right spot for the easy pass and score. It took more energy out of them to do it wrong than right, but that’s why DJs there. That was one element of Ballyhales play that was impressive. Efficient use of the ball and energy. And the running off the ball and the man in the best position is given the ball. A trait Henry and tommy saw in the early Cody years.
    Delaney is no corner back, and that’s for definite. Then again neither was Noel Hickey. But he got the run around yesterday. Hard to call the younger lads on the team, it being there first outing, but some never impressed during their younger years so I’m wondering what has changed now to have them there.
    Leahy has the ability to be a fantastic link man between forwards and backs as he has pace and a good engine, but he insists on hitting Hail Mary shots rather than just laying it off to the man in the open.
    One very big positive from yesterday was the fight in the team. That really surprised me. They weren’t bullied off the ball. These youngsters had way more fight than normal. Now to channel that and to get dividends by playing cute intelligent hurling, to go with it.
    Who was standout,
    Fogarty was way better than he has been for years, so this could be a good year for him.
    Ryan up front did well, was a lot more direct.
    Aylward, should sit down and watch Richie Hogan videos. Watch how a guy not the fastest or biggest, plays by reading the game and gives himself time by his positional sense and ability to lay-off the ball.
    Finally, Deegan. Nobody on that team has more heart or fight in them. And that guy will always give you 100% of himself. He is the epitomy of a Cody player. But I just don’t think he has the hurling smarts or ability. He’s not commanding enough nor good enough in the air to play full back or centre back. If we played against a team who had only five forwards, I’d want Mullan from Ballyhale as the extra man in the backs. He has the smarts to play that role.
    Cody is going to have some big decisions to make come March. Cos some of the newer players will be far better hurlers with a years experience, than the ones with two/three years experience now. So which do you go with. Take the short term hit for the long term gain?
    We are 5 years since we won the all Ireland now. I thought we were lucky getting to the all Ireland last year. Unless we improve no end, we won’t win it this year either. Couldn’t beat an average Wexford team in Croker last year, says a lot if you want to be the best in Ireland.

Wouldn't say Wexford are an average team. You're being unfair there. Should have beaten Tipp in the semi who in turn hammered the ****e out of us. What does that say about us?

What kinda changes would we like to see sunday?carlow will find the going tough in this group but hopefully can continue making strides.i know james doyle from st mullins is out and eddie byrne got red carded the last day so they wouldn't have much strength in dept.Its obvious our lads are really keen to make an early impression because competition will be cranked up when the ballyhale lads start coming back.
    The fitzgibbon this week might have a bearing on things this weekend but hopefully we might get a look at Darren brennan and darren mullen or evan shefflin or shane walsh .Cody said he Hope's to have richie hogan and buckley back soon and one thing for certain he will treat every team with respect
    Is conor browne injured or where is enda Morrissey he has yet to feature?

• Advertisement

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say Wexford are an average team. You're being unfair there. Should have beaten Tipp in the semi who in turn hammered the ****e out of us. What does that say about us?

The wexford teams of early 90s with Martin storey who had right ding dong battles with Kk and were a good hurling team, the all Ireland team of 96. The wexford sides I
    Of the mid/ late 70s. Not to mention those of the 50s and early 60s, all of which were good wexford teams, but this one is average and no more. And your right, what does that make us. But looking at us doesn’t change it, that’s an average wexford side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The wexford teams of early 90s with Martin storey who had right ding dong battles with Kk and were a good hurling team, the all Ireland team of 96. The wexford sides I
    Of the mid/ late 70s. Not to mention those of the 50s and early 60s, all of which were good wexford teams, but this one is average and no more. And your right, what does that make us. But looking at us doesn’t change it, that’s an average wexford side.
    if that's the case there's alot of average teams in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Village87

Cody had a lot of very serious meetings with players over the last week, about drug use etc. Asking players are they using or have they used drugs previously.Becoming very serious among our younger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Village87 wrote: »
    Cody had a lot of very serious meetings with players over the last week, about drug use etc. Asking players are they using or have they used drugs previously.Becoming very serious among our younger generation.
    You'd imagine some inter county lads must be taking something seeing as its so common in that age group. Both in terms of performance enhanching with the gym culture but also recreational usage when they get the opportunity to drink & party. You'd be hoping most lads into high level sport would have the sense to steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I know from talking to players they would do hydration tests.which would involve
    Urine sample.one of them was asked why he was on a antibiotic after test.so if it showed up that I would imagine it shows up the fun stuff aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Hard not to lately but you have the right idea. A little optimism, tempered, never hurt. Strange one today. Seemed to be getting beat in a lot of areas but kept right there even w/out the goals. I guess 'goals win games' is true sometimes though. Deegan was good. Blanchfield injured or otherwise committed? Billy Ryan is awkward like Taggy & direct like Colin. High Hope's. Fogarty was solid & chipped in with his usual few points & reliability. Would've liked to see a few more minutes of Mossy & Tommy W., & B. Sheehan. A. Murphy was as good as you could ask from dead balls. M. Carey & M. Cody didn't impress, Tommy instantly improving the show when he came on. Cian Dillon was very good. Could've got MOTM. An enjoyable start.

On Blanch: I think for some, being big young can be a disadvantage in a few ways. Bigger expectations, more youth success often due more to size/strength than pure talent or a good mix. I just don't think he's adopted to IC where more than size is needed. Not far off & more inconsistent than anything. Just a random 00.02
    Congrats Kats.

Blanchfield looked good in 2016 but seemed to put on a lot of weight when he did his first winter of S & C, it seemed to slow him down and affect his confidence, he struggled even at club level for a couple of years. But I thought he was the third best forward at club level last year behind Colin and TJ, scoring goals and winning frees and penalties. If I was Cody, I would be saying to Blanchfield and Billy Ryan that ye are going to be playing every league match. I don't think that Brassil, Sheehan, Keoghan are ready to be thrown in at Parnell Park, I don't think Ger Aylward is going to rediscover form after all his injuries. I think Deegan is another player that should start against Dublin, he won't back down

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Absolutely and if they find a few for the bench will be serious players, their style of hurling is particularly gruelling and requires 20 players. If Wexford are 'average' I'd love to know who is above average.

People are refusing to let go of the 2007 to 2015 Wexford Era. It was a bad 8/9 years for the county.

They are doing savage work underage (like are other counties) and they will never be average again.

Wexford have their sights set on lifting Liam McCarthy in 2020, make no bones about it!!

Agree bout blanchfield seem to struggle the last few years with confidence.he looked set to kick on in 2016 like wally did but unfortunately it didnt happen for him.I remember for the college team he was being tried midfield and defence and being substituted and it wasnt happening.
    I seen a good few bridge matches and got a cracker of a goal against clara in gowran and went to town in the relegation final winning frees and a penalty.His not a finisher which hopefully dj will be able help him out with this.He is hurling well for carlow where dj is over them so hopefully he can bring his good form into the senior set up because I think If he can tidy up his hurling a bit theres a place for him in the starting 15.

blackcard wrote: »
    Blanchfield looked good in 2016 but seemed to put on a lot of weight when he did his first winter of S & C, it seemed to slow him down and affect his confidence, he struggled even at club level for a couple of years. But I thought he was the third best forward at club level last year behind Colin and TJ, scoring goals and winning frees and penalties. If I was Cody, I would be saying to Blanchfield and Billy Ryan that ye are going to be playing every league match. I don't think that Brassil, Sheehan, Keoghan are ready to be thrown in at Parnell Park, I don't think Ger Aylward is going to rediscover form after all his injuries. I think Deegan is another player that should start against Dublin, he won't back down

Is there a suggestion that Deegan won't start against Dublin? He's clearly the one player that Cody WON'T leave out no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Is there a suggestion that Deegan won't start against Dublin? He's clearly the one player that Cody WON'T leave out no matter what happens.

I think a lot of people knock Deegan, he is not a stylist and for a while I had doubts about him but I think he is effective and always gives his best. I think at times he should encourage younger players, he sometimes berates them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Kilkenny lads did well again last night in the fitzgibbon. 6 points from play for John Donnolly with bergin also going well. Blanch got another goal which was a good finish and a great team goal in which leahy was involved. Good to see hopeful we can put in a good performance this weekend.

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Kilkenny lads did well again last night in the fitzgibbon. 6 points from play for John Donnolly with bergin also going well. Blanch got another goal which was a good finish and a great team goal in which leahy was involved. Good to see hopeful we can put in a good performance this weekend.

Seen bits of the dcu match and Donnelly got some brillant points and its great to have a scoring foward like him in our ranks.he will probably be our next number 11.Jim ryan was a handful at full foward and bergin was sharp.evan shefflin was wing back and Darren mullen came on near the end. Blanch scored a goal like colin was scoring during the summer.leahy is a good link up man.The semi finals should be good.
    I wonder will donnelly and co get a break this weekend because 3 matches in a week is tough going.Hopefully we will see a few fresh faces this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is Adrian Mullen injured that he didn't play for DCU last night?

Is Adrian Mullen injured that he didn't play for DCU last night?

He did get that awful slap in the Club Final when McCormack broke the hurl across his leg. Perhaps he's feeling the effects.

He did get that awful slap in the Club Final when McCormack broke the hurl across his leg. Perhaps he's feeling the effects.

I've more respect for him than you so by the look of it. I don't think he's that soft.

Anyone actually know?

I've more respect for him than you so by the look of it. I don't think he's that soft.

Anyone actually know?

You didn't see the incident if that's your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I've heard, Adrian wintered well as we used to hear and hence his performances for Ballyhale haven't set the world alight. By the sounds of it he'll have to do a lot of work to get to intercounty standard.

I did, he should have been sent off. But Mullen was clearly fine.

Now lets move on and not feel forced to mention it every time Adrian Mullens name comes up, can you do that?

I did, he should have been sent off. But Mullen was clearly fine.

Now lets move on and not feel forced to mention it every time Adrian Mullens name comes up, can you do that?

A bit of advice for you — ignore the posts you don't like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I've heard, Adrian wintered well as we used to hear and hence his performances for Ballyhale haven't set the world alight. By the sounds of it he'll have to do a lot of work to get to intercounty standard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement