Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

L1011 wrote: »
    You would be liable for customs duty, if even allowed pay it without a licence; as well as very significant shipping for that weight.

Get it from one of the NI sources.

And anyway, it would seem that the Spanish post are not currently doing parcels outside of Iberia (Spain/Portugal/Andorra) going on their website; and couriers won't take liquids.

Can your source a surger unit though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slashs hat wrote: »
    Can your source a surger unit though?

There are posts for NI sources with the surger unit on the first page.

You may get the surger unit alone cheaper abroad, but if its only in a bundle deal forget any notion that its value - you will pay through the nose to ship cans to yourself even if you don't get hit for excise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Slashs hat wrote: »
    You wouldn’t be able to source another one for me?

I probably could. I know I won't .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

Ah i would love to get the proper unit. I don't need the can but would like the proper unit so if you know someone who could get it that would be super

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Slashs hat wrote:
    Ah i would love to get the proper unit

I ordered the unit linked by "sharkman" and it arrived today.

Picking up the cans on Friday from "kylemhunt1234", I'll report back then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ever think the lock down has sent people absolutely bananas.

listermint wrote: »
    Ever think the lock down has sent people absolutely bananas.

After many (many!) days and hours of scouring the internet over the last year or two, I finally sourced and imported a high kilohertz ultrasonic resonating machine that I got express shipped from Germany.

This new machine which arrived yesterday will oscillate micro particles 42,000 times per second in the special Guinness cans that you can't even buy (officially) in Ireland. I'm collecting said unavailable cans at the side of a road from an internet stranger in inner city Dublin soon.

The cost of the machine and cans combined is actually more than I would pay in the bar I could walk to just one minute from my front door that is doing real keg pulled take away pints.

What's bananas about that haha :D:D:pac::p:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I live in Barcelona. Just took delivery of 48 cans, official surger and 6 official pint glasses. 144 euro. Pretty happy with that.

Not so happy that I bought 4 pint glasses last week in preparation.

My friend is an avid Guinness drinking but live in Portugal .....could you suggest a site that might do the same deal as you got or would the site you got it in deliver to portugal.
    Sorry i know that is pure irish out of me "sure portugal is only down the road!"

Bowlardo wrote: »
    My friend is an avid Guinness drinking but live in Portugal .....could you suggest a site that might do the same deal as you got or would the site you got it in deliver to portugal.
    Sorry i know that is pure irish out of me "sure portugal is only down the road!"

Send him the link and tell him to look it up himself?

If it's Ewan MacKenna tell him to go and **** himself.

After a long wait, it's almost time. Here is my home branded jewelry cleaner...

545917.jpg

And the cans are chilling and ready for the taste test :D

545918.jpg

Is it happy hour yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

BigAl81 wrote: »
    After a long wait, it's almost time. Here is my home branded jewelry cleaner...

545917.jpg

And the cans are chilling and ready for the taste test :D

545918.jpg

Is it happy hour yet?

Love it ! My unit arrived from Germany this morning, will have to customise it . Great idea .
    Huge thanks to Kylemhunt1234 for supplying the cans .

Almost Guinness time...

545926.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

Got an Ultrasonic Jewellery cleaner from my local lidl for €25, they had loads of them in stock so I was in luck. Ordered the cans from beershark, at some cost, €82 for 24 after shipping and taxes.

Begs the question is there any other option for buying the cans online?

Verdict lads?

Verdict lads?

4 Surger cans in at this stage. So far so good, but not OMG totally amazing. It's fun, has great novelty value, and the Surger cans seem better than normal cans, deffo a better longer lasting head on the pint

I'll try a regular plain old Guinness can next and report back ;)

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

4 Surger cans in at this stage. So far so good, but not OMG totally amazing. It's fun, has great novelty value, and the Surger cans seem better than normal cans, deffo a better longer lasting head on the pint

Don’t go back !!!

Ah jaysus. Shame its not amazing, still though I'll take a good can over the ****e cans I've been drinking since Christmas. More of a Murphys fan myself but I'll take anything resembling a pint at this stage.

K, after drinking a regular plain old can of Guinness, the Surger cans have gone up in my estimation.

However they are about twice the price!

I'll really throw the cat amongst the pigeons now and say I'll have to compare the Surger cans to my Beamish cans next which I've been enjoying lately!

Whatever about the authenticity of the Guinness Surger cans at home, I can confirm an authentic next morning Guinness "experience" from them anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

These surgers only seem to allow 1 part pour, so there's no way it tastes any good at all.

irish_goat wrote: »
    These surgers only seem to allow 1 part pour, so there's no way it tastes any good at all.

I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lynk wrote: »
    Got an Ultrasonic Jewellery cleaner from my local lidl for €25, they had loads of them in stock so I was in luck. Ordered the cans from beershark, at some cost, €82 for 24 after shipping and taxes.

Begs the question is there any other option for buying the cans online?

Care to mention what Lidl this was? I’ve tried 5 today without joy.

MarkN wrote: »
    Care to mention what Lidl this was? I’ve tried 5 today without joy.

No problem, I'm down in West Cork, it was the Bantry one.

Ha, the two part pour is pure marketing / nonsense from Guinness.

I worked in a bar and nobody could tell the difference between a 1, 2 or 3 part pour when we did blind taste tests which we did regularly for the craic!

Tried glass at 45 degrees, 90 degrees, long drop from the tap etc, Not. One. Bit. Of. Difference.

Rumor was I drank a pint from my shoe one night, now that tasted differently, but that's a whole other story 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

irish_goat wrote: »

Pulled pints many a time for myself with 1 full pour and its the exact same. Marketing gimmick.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pretty sure the goat is only being sarcastic, lads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty sure the goat is only being sarcastic, lads. ;)

I think that the irony of the thing. You can’t really tell if people are joking or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

sharkman wrote: »

Won't let me order that one from Amazon Germany, says delivery cannot be done at present to NI or ROI :(

The off license in Jonesborough have the 24 Surger cans at £50/€58 and the unit is £50 also but it's just a jewellery cleaner.

the lad on the phone said you can't get the official guinness unit anymore, only on ebay 2nd hand??

trying to source the official surger unit for my old man for St.Patrick's day next week, he's very particular and doesn't want a jewellery cleaner :o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tested out my first can earlier, put the glass in the freezer for 10-15 mins, put the can in there for 20.

What I will say is the head is half way between the proper pint and the cans, I wouldn't say its a creamy a top as a top level pint. But the flavour is great. Honestly, I reckon flavour wise its a 8/10 pint you'd get in a pub, which is worth it's weight in gold at these times.

Advertisement