Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squint surgery

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

It's a Dr. Farrell there now seems to know his stuff but not sure if anyone has any feedback on him.

Did they operate on just one eye for you or both? He mentioned his preference for mine is weaken muscles on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1 possibilty

Hi guys, just wondering was anyone here who has had surgery not wearing glasses pre surgery? I went for a pre op assessment but was told I would need to start wearing glasses for a couple of months pre operation to get the alignment right, would like to know has anyone else experienced this? I haven’t worn glasses in 13/14 years so this seems like a strange request. Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I am also looking into this, have been putting it off for so long. I'm near Clane and considering an appointment with the Institute of eye surgery. I've no insurance so i'm guessing it will be costly. It's not even about the money really, I'm terrified about the idea of surgery on my eyes and worried that surgery might not even resolve it. I guess a consultation will be no harm.

If anyone has any other suggestions of places that might be better suited, i'd be very grateful.

Post edited by jaffa20 on

I think UPMC Clane or the Mater Private are as good as it gets. Unfortunately Professor Michael O'Keeffe has now passed away (RIP) but I'm sure the other surgeons there are top quality also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Not sure you got my PM reply but if not will try to send again later.

I had it done in the Mater private just there in April and the procedure itself was fine they knock you out for it. Was a bit daunting beforehand but nothing to worry about on that front.

I don't know if I had the best outcome unfortunately I have been told to wait for now as the muscles are still healing. For the first week I was happy and eyes appeared straight but unfortunately the right eye then seemed to drift outward again. My case was a slightly lazy eye caused by astigmatism. Right now it's marginally if any at all better than it originally was.

I am disappointed but was covered by health insurance. I would have been distraught if I paid my own cash for it. I had a checkup a month after and surgeon observed the drift. He said it can happen in a small number of cases. He said not to worry yet and I'm back in two months. He said muscles are still healing, stitches are still there and eye would not be at its final position yet. He said in cases where people needed a second surgery there had been good outcomes. Now I have to wait to June to see but not holding my breath it will improve. Then if I opt for a second surgery will health insurance cover it I am not sure.

I would say go for a consultation and see. Not every case would be the same as me. I may be unlucky so wouldn't necessarily go by my experience. I don't think there was anything wrong with the surgery as the drift happened some days after. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Just open questions to anyone else had it done. Was it perfect from day one and stay that way? I had bilateral and squint adjustment. Did anyone experience any issues where the eye drifted but eventually straightened up (as mentioned I am not holding breath that will happen).

And if anyone knows anything about health insurance would they typically cover another procedure like this if it was not a success. I may be reluctant to do this unless they can offer something else that has a good chance of a better outcome. I think in my case the brain is just moving the eye to its usual position but I'm no expert if that can ever be resolved. For now I'll hope it improves by June when the muscles are healed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lisa-ballivor

Any update on your surgery.. did it work for you . I don't have insurance ,so will be paying my own cash. So how much does it cost . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lisa-ballivor

How much is the cost of strabismus surgery ? . I don't have insurance .

it worked for me and I am really delighted with it, i think the cost is c.€1k, but I had health insurance to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Had my consultation this week and i'm thinking about going ahead with it. Don't have health insurance so have to pay myself and it's not cheap, but it's around the price I was expecting to pay. I'm thinking i will try arrange it for the new year though because have so many trips coming up and will need to set aside time for recovery. Did you all need to take much time off work?

My main concerns are recovery (i was told 4 weeks approx) and if I'll possibly need 2nd surgery or end up with double vision but the consultant seemed quite positive about it. I guess there's always a risk and they need to advise on those.

I've thought about this for so long that maybe it's time to just go for it.

• Advertisement

need at least 2 weeks off work and total recovery time would be around 4 weeks. I'm delighted I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daniellewalsh

Hi, delighted to find this forum... I am thinking about going ahead with Squint Surgery, lazy eye + astigmatism in right eye. Left eye perfect. Right eye intermittent squint , when I get tired it shows. I spoke to an optician in specsavers and she suggested Dr John Stokes (Waterford I think ) or Dr Stephen Farrell (Mater) for adult strabismus surgery. Has anyone gone to either of doctors and how have you got on ? Love to hear how things went with operation itself . What are wait times like ? I have health insurance . Or maybe there is another doctor that you have gone to and got on great ,, Tia

I went to Professor Michael o’keeffe (RIP) in 2019, in the Mater. Wait time was minimal - a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rexminer

Hello @Young_gunner I'm really glad to come across your experience Pre and post Op. I'm urgently in need of the same and don't know how to start, would be glad if you offered some advice on the first step to take towards the OP. Thanks in advance 🙏

first step is to call the Mater Private (that's where I went) and they'll bring you in for a pre-op consultation. You'll likely then have an appointment with an Orthoptist who assesses the squint. happy to help in any way i can.

Advertisement