Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas Finglas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭spillit67

43m in 2016, 49m in 2019.

I use it a couple of times a week probably. I mix up my commute modes depending on my mood so not sure I’m the best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think it was expected that ridership would increase by an additional 10k a day, so a 3m bump would come in around ~8k a day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's not along any places I'd ever go. I've only ever used it city centre probably about 3 or 4 times. I've only used it to go further north (to Cabra) once. And that was just to see it, I didn't actually need to go to Cabra. I've never used it to get to Broombridge, it's the only Luas stop I've never alighted at or even passed by.

I find you'd walk most places in the city centre faster than using the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't know about passenger numbers.

It was low hanging fruit anyway as lots of the route was the old Broadstone line. Also it's invaluable for the DIT campus.

One benefit is that it's definitely gentrified Cabra a lot. Read up on criminal gangs of Cabra and it was very rough not too long ago. Gang leaders were murdered in the pubs there (Eamon Dunne 2010).

I think Finglas would gentrify a little also with the Luas.

It depends on what percentage of houses are social and privately owned.

It would also be a catalyst to redevelop the Dublin Industrial Estate and the Jamestown industrial estate in Finglas.

I agree it should be extended as far as Ballymun or Northwood somehow but I'm not sure of best route. Maybe over the M50 and then through the green fields and then connect with Dardistown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's usually quiet enough north of OCS which is great you can even sit down. Most people actually dont like being sardined into trams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's busy enough in the evenings Monday to Friday in my experience. Not crammed but you often won't get a seat up to 7pm getting on at OCS northbound, with maybe half the people exiting by Phibsborough. That's the only time I use it. Very handy to get to Broombridge and onto a train from there towards D15.

With waiting time at Broombridge the journey is probably only marginally quicker than bus, but much more comfortable. I see many of the same faces doing a similar sort of trip every evening. Always fun to see the frantic rush to get off the tram if there's a train on the platform at BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭loco_scolo

Does the train wait if a Luas is just pulling up?

Good question, I've been wondering that as well. I don't know if there's an official policy about it and I'm not sure if the driver of the train could actual see a tram just pulling in. But yet I've often felt they do wait, especially if they see a number of people running. Quite possibly a safety issue at that stage, not advisable to start a train if there's people running towards the carriages.

(Hmmm, a lot of words to not answer your question).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

Someone asked about this on Twitter recently and the official answer was a very definitive no. Not just no but a ‘how could you expect it to work that way’ kind of no.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither operator sees it as being vaguely in their remit to meet the other one, despite both being state funded.

• Advertisement

Tough one really.

Luas could argue that their frequency is so high that anyone who misses a tram has only a small amount of time to wait for the next one.

Irish Rail could argue that waiting say an extra 2 minutes when they see a tram about to pull in could cause a knock-on delay on the next Sligo train departing Connolly, which ends up affecting the Dart etc. Or that fundamentally the Luas frequency is so high that people have no real excuse for not being at the station 10 minutes earlier which would have enabled them to get their train. In general we wouldn't have any sympathy for people who turned up at the starting station 30 seconds after time-tabled departure, so why should it be any different at an intermediate stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Consonata

Well now the tender is up for competition again, maybe TFI/Irish Rail put up a bid for it. Never really made sense for the two services to be seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

TFI is the NTA - why would they bid for their own tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It has more to do with the difference in frequency between the two modes at Broombridge, and the requirement for Broombridge trams to slot in between trams turning back south at Parnell and the need to maintain headways south of Parnell.

Do you start holding trams for a relatively small number of people at Broombridge and instead make the service worse for the much larger numbers of people using the trams south of Parnell by extending the gap in services?

If the Green Line frequency to/from Broombridge was higher (with fewer trams turning back south at Parnell), this wouldn’t be such an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

I guess their point was that Irish Rail could tender for the Operations contract. I wonder if they will, it would make a lot of sense. Having read some of the 24/07/22 RAIU report, I couldn’t think of anyone I’d hate more to win that tender than Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭spillit67

No chance Irish Rail tender. The direct awards contracts are a massive headache for all of the CIÉ companies as it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

With Broombridge turning into a DART by the end of the decade, frequencies of trains will be high enough (and Luas is already high) that there'll be no need for trains to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

On the subject of gentrification - has Tallaght experienced any of that since the Red Line opened? I kind of feel like its a similar type of area.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭loco_scolo

A big difference being Tallaght is 40minutes on the Luas to Abbey Street versus 12minutes from the GPO to Cabra, or only 25minutes from Cabra to Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No the train doesn't wait most of the 40e don't neither and the LUAS rarely wait if the 40e is late, the initiative is called Bus Connects but it doesn't seem to be set up with the 3 different modes of transport at Broombridge being in sync with each other. Other countries would have similar transport systems but I doubt they're so misdirected and chaotic.

• Advertisement

The East side of Tallaght has definitely gentrified a good bit. You would say it's middle class. Maybe upper working class/lower middle class

The west side of Tallaght not as much but it's definitely improved a lot. The likes of Jobstown and Killinardan have a long way to go but they're going in the right direction.

There's loads of social programs and access programs and early intervention etc to help people. The likes of Lynn Ruane are great to have in politics as they will direct their energy to deprived communities.

One benefit of the housing crisis is that huge areas of Dublin are being gentrified at the same time. I'm think that's a good thing although it obviously prices out locals.

It would be great if the government could build public infrastructure quicker as it accelerates this process.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to Finglas once the Luas and Metrolink are built. East Finglas is already gentrified but prices will go up.

Right now west and south Finglas is still considered too deprived for most people. Most people there are decent but the headlines are terrible - it's all shootings and drugs and criminality and gangs.

But if 90% of the houses are privately owned, it could gentrify in a generation.

When you see the likes of this, you know Cabra very gentrified. This house is right next to Broombridge which was almost a no go area not too long ago.

They are selling up though so maybe it's not too great there still.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

Good analysis, thanks for that.

I live in east Tallaght, moved here in 2008. I would say it’s upper working/lower middle class alright. Pretty safe, some crime (burglaries/scrambler bikes) but nothing major. But not gentrified. If you want a vegan cafe, boho pubs (indeed any pub really, remarkably few of those here) or restaurant beyond fast food/pizza/Chinese/Indian you need to go to Terenure or Templeogue.

And this year the Luas will be here 20 years. I think gentrification needs a bit more than a tram line in order to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There needs to be a mix of residents. The Tennant purchase scheme should be reopened for areas where there's a greater than 60% social housing. And The same over concentration should never happen again

Yeah gentrified isn't easily defined. I know the stereotype is that a low income area becomes popular with artists and students and alternative types due to low rent, then it becomes trendy and the middle class move in and it becomes unaffordable for the people who made it cool originally. Stonybatter would be a classic example.

My own definition in an Irish context is that if a middle class couple would have no qualms about buying a house and raising a family there, but would have had concerns in the past. So in my opinion East Tallaght, East Cabra, East Wall and East Finglas would be gentrified. Crumlin and Drimnagh are in the process but not quite.

Right now in the more deprived parts of West Tallaght people are buying properties as investments and renting out to young professionals and students. This is even happening in West Finglas. I know a young woman from NZ who moved there and had no idea of how dangerous it could be. So they are in the early process of gentrification.

I think with the pressure of the housing crisis we're seeing large swathes of Dublin gentrifying simultaneously.

I agree 100%.

The more mixed, the better. We shouldn't have the likes of Foxrock and Darndale in the same city. I know rich people pay a lot to be away from poor people but we should learn to live amongst one another.

I've noticed all the halting sites in Dublin are in the most deprived areas like Darndale, Finglas, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin. I don't see why they can't be spread out more.

We are moving towards that at least. Apparently south and west Finglas is mostly privately owned ex council houses so can gentrify quickly.

Ballymun on the other hand isn't. It's 50 to 60% council so the Metrolink won't do much good there.

Jane Jacobs the American urban planner was big on mixed neighbourhoods and medium density. We are definitely moving towards that but really Dublin is very class segregated.

Yeah it's funny there's so few pubs. Particularly with a football stadium there.

Likewise Sandyford and Ballymun have no pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I agree that mixed neighbourhoods are the way to go but a few points.

Not at all halting sites are in deprived areas. Carrickmines and Sandyford have them.

Also I think it is unfair to say that rich people pay a lot to be away from poor people. They pay for a nice area with nice hoises and also one that is convenient for them. The end result is that it means higher incomes stay together but I don't believe the driver is to be away from poor people. If that was the case the old council estate in Forock would have driven the rich people out of that area

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sandyford has a pub (Noosh), it's in the basement of Zaytoon. There's also a pub licence on the Elephant and Castle

Ballymun has one bar left (Metzo), in the hotel

The Carrickmines halting site was by the old dump. There is a small halting site in Dundrum though but in general they are in bad areas.

I know people aren't literally paying to live away from poor people.

Mostly people pay more for good schools, low crime, good amenities and facilities.

The quality of the houses doesn't matter that much. It's the location. It's raising their kids in a good neighborhood with no bad influences etc. Houses in Stillorgan aren't particularly nice but cost a fortune.

• Advertisement

Noosh is kind of out of the way and hasn't really taken off. The kebab place upstairs does better business.

Elephant & Castle isn't a proper pub.

I wasn't being literal, I just think it's unusual that we're famous for pubs and there's huge areas of the city with no (or very few) pubs.

Sandyford has the population of a small town and is quite wealthy.

Advertisement