Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We went Lidl route also & had kangaroo & ostrich steaks with roast spuds, tenderstem broccoli & green beans. Mrs B & The Kids would definitely have the ostrich again, but would skippy the kangaroo in future.

* gets coat *

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Haven't eaten the kangaroo as steaks, but it makes a decent curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Chicken bacon and mushroom pasta in a creamy monterey jack sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cheddar and broccoli soup.

photo%208_zpsxzuhwsxr.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A good old sausage sarnie :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

BuffyBot wrote: »
    A good old sausage sarnie :D

Bacon one for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

BuffyBot wrote:
    A good old sausage sarnie

Bacon one for me!

Well buck it
    Now I want a breakfast role

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Pancakes filled with creamy mushrooms, covered in cheese and baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I made dhal last night for the first time and it was quite yummy, using Jamie Oliver's recipe. Though I don't know what to serve it with so just had a big bowl like porridge haha. One thing however, when I was pouring the lentils in there was this brown nugget (heh) in there, about the size of a malteser, dry and powdery/crumbly.. I take it these aren't normally in there? I eat the dhal anyways but was curious as to what it was

http://i.imgur.com/PebaVND.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vshWsBG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Last night we'd chicken in oyster and spring onion sauce with noodles and rice.
    It was lovely very tasty!
    photo-45.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

cefh17 wrote: »
    I made dhal last night for the first time and it was quite yummy, using Jamie Oliver's recipe. Though I don't know what to serve it with so just had a big bowl like porridge haha. One thing however, when I was pouring the lentils in there was this brown nugget (heh) in there, about the size of a malteser, dry and powdery/crumbly.. I take it these aren't normally in there? I eat the dhal anyways but was curious as to what it was

your pics aren't opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

cefh17 wrote: »

http://i.imgur.com/PebaVND.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vshWsBG.jpg

I don't know exactly how you cooked it, but it sounds like your heat was too high and the ingredients prior to the lentils cooked too fast and parts congealed. With Dahl, its low and slow and keep an eye on moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bacon, cabbage & shpuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Good old-fashioned cottage pie!

2poa2i9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My oven has packed in so it is hob cooking for me. It was fresh prawns with garlic and chilli in a light white wine sauce, rice and salad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A one dish wonder with rice, broccoli, chicken and plenty of cheese :D

I was invited to an American thanksgiving. :) Dinner was turkey, stuffing, mash, green bean casserole, carrots, bread and gravy. Everything was really delicious but, like so often when eating with Americans, everything was cold by the time everyone sat down to eat! Kinda ruins good meals.

Pumpkin pie and lots of prosecco was also enjoyed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Tonight I had crusty chiabatta bread spread with crushed black olives and garlic topped with juicy slices of plum tomatoes , some bresola ham, rocket , onion relish , rocket, mozzarella, drizzled it in olive oil and threw it under the grill.

Now I'm on my 4th double decker bar because I'm a hungry fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

like so often when eating with Americans, everything was cold by the time everyone sat down to eat! Kinda ruins good meals.

Why is that?

anon71 wrote: »
    like so often when eating with Americans, everything was cold by the time everyone sat down to eat! Kinda ruins good meals.

Why is that?

I don't know. I live in an ex pat community and 90% of my friends here are American. Every meal we eat together they prepare reeeaaally slowly and by the time everything is cooked and on the table and everyone is seated, the food is cold. They always eat family style where big dishes food are passed around. Like, they'll put out the meat dish onto the table and only then begin making salad and slicing the bread. Sometimes, everything is completely stone cold. Like the gravy at Thanksgiving on Thursday was stone cold. I actually had to get up from the table and reheat it because I could tolerate lukewarm/cold meat and vegetables but could not cope with cold gravy on top. With close friends I sometimes ask if I can pop my dinner in the microwave and they don't mind. With people you don't know so well you just gotta go with it. I'm always disappointed when a beautiful meal is allowed to go cold while we look at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

miamee wrote:
    A one dish wonder with rice, broccoli, chicken and plenty of cheese

Sounds really good, could I get the recipe please.

Still waiting on the oven repair man so it was Wagu Burgers last night and chips made in the airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I don't know. I live in an ex pat community and 90% of my friends here are American. Every meal we eat together they prepare reeeaaally slowly and by the time everything is cooked and on the table and everyone is seated, the food is cold. They always eat family style where big dishes food are passed around. Like, they'll put out the meat dish onto the table and only then begin making salad and slicing the bread. Sometimes, everything is completely stone cold. Like the gravy at Thanksgiving on Thursday was stone cold. I actually had to get up from the table and reheat it because I could tolerate lukewarm/cold meat and vegetables but could not cope with cold gravy on top. With close friends I sometimes ask if I can pop my dinner in the microwave and they don't mind. With people you don't know so well you just gotta go with it. I'm always disappointed when a beautiful meal is allowed to go cold while we look at it!

Urgh! :( You should buy them a Hostess Trolley, problem sorted! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Baked haddock with a crumb topping, potato gratin and Brussel sprouts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Miaireland wrote: »
    Sounds really good, could I get the recipe please.

Still waiting on the oven repair man so it was Wagu Burgers last night and chips made in the airfryer.

Sure you can, it's
    here
    on Tasty. So much cheese but so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

This would literally fry my brain!! After going to the trouble of preparing food just to let it go cold...

Anyone I cook for is well used to the "On the table now"... and now means now...

Mind you I'll always give people a 5/10 minute heads up so they know its nearly there....

But cold gravy.... ((((shivers))))...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jesus, my mother would have a calf if that was happening. She's been known to ask a restaurant or two to fire hers in to the microwave for a minute or two if they can. She asks very nicely though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I thought that only happened in films - it horrifies me to see it all left sitting around. I'd be divorced - Mr. Dizzy likes his food searingly hot and served on a hot plate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Basmati rice and chicken madras tonight and not from any takeaway. Once again cooked from the heart. Piping hot and full of flavours, but still managing to leave that little ring of fire around the lips!

Being really bold and skipping the garlic nan bread and having chips on the side instead. Its the beer and rugby effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Big plate of chunky cut chips actifried in coconut oil
    1 tin of chickpeas cooked in a pot with a thick gravy, plenty of pepper and poured over the chips
    Mix of broccoli and carrot with cayenne pepper as a side dish

• Advertisement

Tonight we had spinach, leeks, garlic and mushrooms in a creamy sauce stuffed into home made crepes, topped with cheese and baked. It was lovely.

Advertisement