Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Murder of Father Griffin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barna

You could always talk to our European commisioner MGQ who I believe is a grand-daughter of John G :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan62

Wow thanks, i will get on that asap! also you mentioned he was involved in Joyce's trial, where could I get more info on that?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

Hi Siobhán,
    I assume you have Pádraic Ó Laoi's book on Father Griffin. Barna is right about Ó Droighneáin's Witness Statement. You can access that at Military Archives or at National Archives. Military Archives you need an appointment with Nat/arch you just need to register. Both of those are in Dublin. ó Droighneáin speaks very highly of Geoghegan in his witness statement.
    Check the Truce period 1921-1922 a monument was unveiled to Geoghegan in Moycullen by the East Connemara Brigade.

I wouldn`t get carried away by the Michael collins note though. He was in possession of a despatch but British Forces carried out a number of dirty tricks killings in Galway which they tried to blame on the IRA.
    As far as I know there are no connections between MGQ and John Geoghegan but your John Geoghegan's family are still around. Get in touch with Seán Kyne TD. He`s from Moycullen, interested in history and a nice fella as well. you wouldn`t know who he'd know that' s still around.
    Is mise
    Cormac Ó Comhraí

Incidentally, Siobhán, I doubt that you'll have enough on Geoghegan for an essay but you could look at British reprisals in East connemara or the republican movement in the area or something along those lines.

Geoghegan was goalie of the Moycullen hurling and football team at the time. You might get a photo or info through the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan62

Thanks for that info, I have been in touch with Sean Kyne, it was his family that erected the monument in Uggool in 2004. I will look for the other monument too. This is all really helpful, I was at a brick wall earlier, I knew about the witness statements but wouldn't have know to look at O'Droighneain's specifically so that is great. The essay is only around 5000 words and as it is for local history it is more about placing the event in it's locality and the locality itself, I will be focused on IRA activity in the area anyway, so I should have enough (I hope!).

I Came across a poem by Catherine Byron called 'The Black and tans deliver a son- Galway 1921' and wondered if t was about John Geoghegan,

Didn't she step out into the yard God love her
    and see her own son's brains scattered like mash about the flags? And didn't she then kneel down
    and gather the soggy shards of her womb's child into her apron
    carefully, as a girl gathers mushrooms in the September
    And didn't she then stifle the outbreath of her grieving tillonlya whistle
    or whimper of her lamentation was heard in that place
    fields?
    lest the soldiers note her the more?

sorry it came out like that- copy and paste! sounds like it could be written about him but have no proof!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help,

Siobhan

• Advertisement

God knows about the poem. There must have been a lot of bits of poetry like that at the time. Might or might not have referred to Geoghegan. Make sure you include the quip one of the killers made to him about not needing his boots.

get a copy of Gan Baisteadh, Tomás Bairéad wrote it in 1972, as far as I know the only account of republican activity in the area written by a Moycullen Volunteer. He was neutral in the Civil War.
    The Free State barracks was attacked in Moycullen in the C/W. December 1922.

Keep in touch and let us know how you got on.
    Is mise
    Cormac Ó Comhraí

• Registered Users Posts: 1 allenrod

Hi All,
    I'm a newcomer to 'Boards' - my very first entry!
    I live in Moycullen, Co. Galway and (amongst other things) I'm a (very) mature student of Irish history and local history - and am interested in all that has been written on this thread.
    I'm unsure if 'Siobhan' has completed her essay but if she hasn't I might be able to suggest a few things to her.
    I've done quite a bit of research on 'the history of parish police' and in particular the history of the police in Moycullen...probably the makings of a mini book! I'm also very interested in the entire 1912 - 1923 period.
    By the way the old Moycullen RIC Barracks, where the White Gables restaurant is today, was burnt down on 4th April 1920, the same night that 4/5 other Co. Galway Barracks (and 200 plus other ones around Ireland) were attacked - like Moycullen practically all were 'empty'...the RIC men having been earlier withdrawn to larger towns (the Moycullen force to Galway). Subsequently, this Barracks was rebuilt after compensation had been paid to the owner - which by then had been purchased for another use. Then when the new 'Civic Guard' force arrived in 1923 - with instructions to take up duty in the old Barracks - they found themselves 'locked out'...and were basically 'homeless'. A few chapters of my 'mini book' could be devoted to what happened over the following few years - until the new (present) 'Station' was constructed and occupied in 1927.
    Also, you all probably know by now that much of the BHM digital files are freely down-loadable on the web - and I'm informed more files will be added shortly and in early 2013.
    Thanks to all and keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barna

Hi Allenrod - look forward to reading your work. Did you find out where the Moycullen lads were in 1916 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 katyc132

According to personal witness statement accounts provided in 1950's, Patrick Joyce was arrested as a spy and after trial held by IRA was executed by East Connemara Brigade (Thornton was OC). According to Bureau Military History 1913-1921) Witness statements the IRA were certain that there was spy in Barna area as Tans/RIC were lifting too many of the boys so IRA had few fellas in post office check mail going to British from locals. Joyce had sent several letters informing on several members, then another one or two complaining when his first complaints were not acted on quickly enough. To confirm it was indeed Joyce writing them they broke into his office to check his handwriting and signature against the letters. Shortly after he was disappeared/executed his son Joseph purportedly left Ireland for Britain and joined the Tans, dying in Palestine still part of Tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

Hi everyone,
    My interest into the murder of Fr Griffin is based on an allegation that an RIC Head Constable James Mc Elhill who was murdered in Kilbeggan, Co Westmeath on the 12th of June 1921 was executed for his part in the murder of Fr Griffin. I have started to investigate this allegation very recently and I would be grateful if anyone has any information or can point me to any source that would assist me in my investigation.

Another local 'historian' claims that there was irrevocable evidence to show that Mc Elhill was involved in Fr Griffin's murder but I would like to do a through investigation and not be carried away by emotional/political research.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Where did you hear that? I don't have Willie Henry's book to hand on the War of Independence in Galway so I can't categorically say that the allegation isn't made in it. From my own point of view I have certainly never seen any evidence that suggested that members of the IRA were able to trace and then kill anyone directly implicated in Father Griffin's death. On the other hand I have seen it being used to motivate IRA men to shoot against men in police uniforms (as a reprisal against the uniform in general).

Have a look at the Bureau of military history statement of Joe Togher a leading IRA intelligence officer in Galway city and that of Mícheál Ó Droighneáin the OC of the IRA's East Connemara Brigade. Neither of them make any mention of an allegation of that kind. They would surely have been involved in the tracing of a suspect. I'd suspect that there is no basis at all to the story. If you are interested in tracing McEhill you could trace where he was stationed in the National Archives in Kew, London in the Home Office series. The press at the time would probably have mentioned where he was previously stationed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

Thanks for the info and the pointer to the military archives. I have checked them out and found statements regarding Fr Griffin's murder. There is no mention of a Head Constable Mc Elhill in any of the statements or in the archives. I am pursuing Mc Elhill's records with the Kew archive and the Grada Museum at Dublin Castle.

This allegation came from a letter to a local paper in reply to a suggestion to commemorate RIC members killed in Westmeath during the War of Independence. It had a very biased republican slant and used this allegation to argue against any commemoration being held.

While I do not have an opinion either way, it annoys me when so called 'historians' make wild and unsupported allegations that brings disrepute on anyone who is genuinely trying to bring the historical evidence into the public forum.

Once again thank you cormacocomhrai for your assistance in this matter. Will keep pursuing the case.

"While I do not have an opinion either way, it annoys me when so called 'historians' make wild and unsupported allegations that brings disrepute on anyone who is genuinely trying to bring the historical evidence into the public forum."

Comes with the territory I'm afraid.

Advertisement