Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help! Irish Census' Online 1841/51.

• 27-04-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I know these are online, but google has been no help at all constantly takign me to info sites that don't have the census figures themselves. need them quite urgently tbh. I know they're about, going mad with this!

Thanks in advance,
    d.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I haven't come across them. I do know that only some DEDs are available as the rest were destroyed. Very few altogher. They are available in the Natiional Archives, but I didn't think they were online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I dont think they are available online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

the 1911 census records are coming online. See note on the page at

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

re the other census records :

"The original census returns for 1861 and 1871 were destroyed shortly after the censuses were taken. Those for 1881 and 1891 were pulped during the First World War, probably because of the paper shortage. The returns for 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851 were, apart from a few survivals, notably for a few counties for 1821 and 1831, destroyed in 1922 in the fire at the Public Record Office at the beginning of the Civil War."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I thought the Census Returns were online?

Thanks for the replies however.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The statistical information from those censuses does survive - on the CSO website but the returns, for the most part, do not.

Origins.net has a list of heads of household only for Dublin city for the 1851. It's subscription access.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement