Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The British Empire Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why thank you Fred.

BTW, somebody texted into Newstalk this morning and signed himself (or herself) the "world's biggest Portsmouth fan".

Could have been anybody, I suppose. ;)

not me, I always use Fratton Fred :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

PDN wrote:
    I would hardly describe making a few comments as "kicking up a fuss". I could go over a list of names and we could argue with each one of them and have a series of personal fights. Is that you want? A bit of entertainment? An internet gladiatorial contest?

What I want was to ascertain the validity of your comments on people ruining discussion because of their politics in order to see if you had a point; which is why I wanted you to point who these people are, rather than just make vague comments about it.

But it seems indeed you are right and I was wrong. You are not kicking up a fuss about it. Instead, it turns out on investigation to have been an empty point. Just another simple observation about human nature, perhaps?

You're entitled to your opinion. I answered a direct question and you don't like the answer you get.

What makes you think I did not like it? I actually quite enjoyed it tbh. Confirmed everything I needed to know about you and also reminded me of miss world contestants who bleat on about world peace. It sounds all wonderful but ultimately it’s empty rhetoric.

Tbh waffle does not equal objectivity. If you can’t see that or choose not to acknowledge it, it is not my problem.

If people insisted on arguing on the basis that the sky was green white and gold then it would be perfect valid to point out that the sky was blue.

But what if people were arguing from partisan positions the science behind the colour of the sky and then you came along and pointed out the sky was blue? That would be fairly simple which was, in your own words mind, the level of your interjection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

JACK300 wrote:
    I would suggest it was because their families couldnot feed them that they joined the British Army not the other way round. Times were scarce jobs were scarce food was scarce. A (supposedly) regular wage and regular meals were a big factor in a country devastated by colonialism such as Ireland. Also british recruiters played to this fact.

Actually Fratton Fred had a point in what he said which you did not acknowledge sufficiently. There are universal reasons men join armies adventure, an idea of manliness etc. They should not be ignored as they did play apart in Irish people joining the British Army. I would acknowledge, that as interesting as they may be however, they would not in and of themselves be enough to account for the numbers of people who joined the British Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack300

csk wrote: »
    Actually Fratton Fred had a point in what he said which you did not acknowledge sufficiently. There are universal reasons men join armies adventure, an idea of manliness etc. They should not be ignored as they did play apart in Irish people joining the British Army. I would acknowledge, that as interesting as they may be however, they would not in and of themselves be enough to account for the numbers of people who joined the British Army.

no the wouldn't but they are interesting. however you ignore the fact that these unviersal reasons - if they indeed exist - would be bound by codes of representation and that these would be different from culture to culture and nation to nation.

what would make a British officer join the British Army would be different to what would make an Irish person join the British ARmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think most of the points made here about Irishmen joining the BA are invalid tbh. The reason being that there was a sort of tradition among Irishmen to join continental armies, going back at least as far as the 1600s (we all know about the flight of the earls). In addition many cromwellian soldiers were free to join continental armies who were not at war with Britain after the civil war. The point being that the army was seen as a career choice, not a question of loyalty to one nation or empire. It is perfectly feasible that after the 1800 act of union (and perhaps even before) there were a fairly large number of Irishmen who saw little difference between joining the British army and a continental one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

csk wrote: »
    What I want was to ascertain the validity of your comments on people ruining discussion because of their politics in order to see if you had a point; which is why I wanted you to point who these people are, rather than just make vague comments about it.

But it seems indeed you are right and I was wrong. You are not kicking up a fuss about it. Instead, it turns out on investigation to have been an empty point. Just another simple observation about human nature, perhaps?

By that kind of reasoning 99% of what is posted on these fora can be described as 'empty points'. You are on an internet discussion board where people discuss things, which involves making points and expressing opinions. If you are looking for the meaning of life then I suggest you read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy instead.
    What makes you think I did not like it? I actually quite enjoyed it tbh. Confirmed everything I needed to know about you and also reminded me of miss world contestants who bleat on about world peace. It sounds all wonderful but ultimately it’s empty rhetoric.
    The idea that we can learn from history is a fairly common one, shared by many historians and philosophers. You may not share it, but we should be able to tolerate people holding different views without attempting to denigrate them with puerile comments.
    Tbh waffle does not equal objectivity. If you can’t see that or choose not to acknowledge it, it is not my problem.
    So, if it's not your problem then why keep on arguing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

So Laissez Faire was a policy of extermination, not a policy of allowing free trade. Do you have anything to suport this, all the documents I have read show that it was about free trade, something whihc Trevelyan had introduced into India with perceived succes, which was why he was given the job in Ireland.

why did you not quote the Trevelyan's entire documents, just sound bites. It would be interesting to read the whole thing, as every time the famine gets discussed, the same two line quotes are wheeled out and are quoted as documentary evidence of genocide.

If you can point me to the entire documents, i would very much like to read them.

not being mr trevelyans biographer i dont have a copy of the entire document handy . But I dont need to quote entire pages of mein kampf to prove Mr Hitler enaged in policies which saw the extermination of european jews . The fact he did it is proof enough . Had he won the war Im also sure that point would be disputed despite the disappearance of millions of people and existence of mass graves . A situation we have in this country .

However the fact so many people died , so many people were evicted which ensured death , the fact so much effort was put into actions in which the only conceivable outcome was death for a lot of our people and that Mr Trevelyan seemed very happy about it is proof enough for me .

Along with the mass graves .

And by the way Mr Trevelyan was not appointed to Ireland from the British east india company to rplicate its success . Mr Trevelyan was appointed to Ireland to ensure laws passed in the British parliament forbidding Irish commerce to compete in any manner with the trade of the British east india company were strictly enforced .

Id also point out that whilst the laissez faire policies of the British east india company were very good for the British east india company it does not mean they were good policies for the Indian people . Your definition of success and a colonised natives definition of success would appear to be two different things entirely . But thats down to mindset and the context in which you look at the world , from that of the colniser society and not that of the society on the receiving end .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Charles Trevelyan :

Described it in 1848 as "a direct stroke of an all-wise and all-merciful Providence", which laid bare "the deep and inveterate root of social evil"; the Famine, he affirmed, was "the sharp but effectual remedy by which the cure is likely to be effected. God grant that the generation to which this opportunity has been offered may rightly perform its part..."

The ultimate question to ask is, whether or not a famine that great would have been allowed to happen in England? Everybody on this board knows the answer to that.

it wasnt allowed happen . There was potato blight in england too . The working class population of england was just as dependent upon the potato as the Irish population before the blight. The population in england had swollen massively . But they didnt starve , especialy not with all that Irish food being removed from Ireland at the point of thousands of British bayonets to feed the British market .
    Bad as conditions were for the english working class they had money to buy food with thanks to being employed in industry . Athur Griffiths analysis of the state of the Irish economy in that period pointed out

On the 12th of May, 1785, Pitt's new proposals were introduced in the English Parliament. They provided, among other things, that Ireland should not trade with any country where its trading might clash with the interests of England's mightiest corporation--the East India Company

Pitt after the 1801 act of union destroyed Ireland's new manufacturing industries , particularly linens, by dumping British goods there, and rapidly eliminated independent Irish shipping. Even worse, was the collapse in land use under Pitt and Shelburne's "free trade" policy. By the 1820s, 80 percent of all Ireland's land was owned by British and Scottish landlords, and 25 percent of all land was completely unused for any purpose except real estate speculation. Some 75 percent of what was used, was in grain or horse/cattle pasture, most of this for export by merchants under London's domination. On the remainder, the Irish grew their potatoes; on perhaps two acres of rented land for each large family.

All nineteenth-century accounts of those who saw both the Irish tenant farmers and African slaves in America and the Caribbean, agree that the Irish were far worse off. In 1845, a British government commission headed by the economist Nassau Senior counted up what free trade had done: Except during the brief potato harvest, there was no work at all for 2.4 million Irish adults; by today's calculations, 60 percent unemployment. Woolen, linen, poplin, furniture and glass manufacture had disappeared; fishing had nearly disappeared for lack of capital for boats, storage, etc. Even water-powered grain mills had disappeared, in the country which 1300 years earlier had been synonymous throughout medieval europe for the technology . There were only 39 hospitals serving 8 million people. The Duke of Wellington wrote in 1829 that "there never was a country in which poverty existed to the extent it exists in Ireland

British free trade and laissez fare was for Britian , not Ireland . Irelands manufacturing base and ability to engage in trade was deliberately curtailed to the point of its destruction . Instead it was deliberately forced into agriculture and the production of cash crops for British landlords . Virtually all the prfoits from those cash crops went directly to the city of london financing mortagges and commercial speculation . This left an Irish national population with no employment outside of harvesting the cash crops . A population which the system and its rulers viewed as an unnecessary hindrance and a political and military liability to the project of profit and exploitation which the British state was engaged with in Ireland . Profits that wer essential to the City of Londons yearly financial intake . Dean Johnathon Swift had pointed out that even decades earlier half of the revenue to the city of London emanating from within the UK came from Irish cash crops and property speculation
    The potato blight brought an opportunity to the British state to put an end to that problem , the growing threat to their profit and domination , around 9 million starving unemployed people with absolutely nothing to lose but their chains . And they did get rid of that problem , very effectively . Their policies were directed towards exterminating that problem They ensured the problem starved to death and went into exile.

PHB wrote: »
    Charles Trevelyan :

Described it in 1848 as "a direct stroke of an all-wise and all-merciful Providence", which laid bare "the deep and inveterate root of social evil"; the Famine, he affirmed, was "the sharp but effectual remedy by which the cure is likely to be effected. God grant that the generation to which this opportunity has been offered may rightly perform its part..."

The ultimate question to ask is, whether or not a famine that great would have been allowed to happen in England? Everybody on this board knows the answer to that.

Of course it wouldn't.

Dead and dieing people wandering around would have upset people. It was fine in another country, but not in your own front garden.

How badly affected was Dublin? were the poor in Dublin starving as well or was it just those that lived off the land?

• Advertisement

it wasnt allowed happen . There was potato blight in england too . The working class population of england was just as dependent upon the potato as the Irish population before the blight. The population in england had swollen massively . But they didnt starve , especialy not with all that Irish food being removed from Ireland at the point of thousands of British bayonets to feed the British market .
    Bad as conditions were for the english working class they had money to buy food with thanks to being employed in industry .
    exactly, the British working classes had jobs and could afford to buy other food. I'm not sure about being that dependant on potatos though, I haven't heard that before.
    Athur Griffiths analysis of the state of the Irish economy in that period pointed out

On the 12th of May, 1785, Pitt's new proposals were introduced in the English Parliament. They provided, among other things, that Ireland should not trade with any country where its trading might clash with the interests of England's mightiest corporation--the East India Company

Pitt after the 1801 act of union destroyed Ireland's new manufacturing industries , particularly linens, by dumping British goods there, and rapidly eliminated independent Irish shipping.
    the same could be said about Scotland too, the Scots were not allowed to form their own trading companies as everything was expectred to come through the Union's trading company, the East India company.

Even worse, was the collapse in land use under Pitt and Shelburne's "free trade" policy. By the 1820s, 80 percent of all Ireland's land was owned by British and Scottish landlords, and 25 percent of all land was completely unused for any purpose except real estate speculation. Some 75 percent of what was used, was in grain or horse/cattle pasture, most of this for export by merchants under London's domination. On the remainder, the Irish grew their potatoes; on perhaps two acres of rented land for each large family.

All nineteenth-century accounts of those who saw both the Irish tenant farmers and African slaves in America and the Caribbean, agree that the Irish were far worse off. In 1845, a British government commission headed by the economist Nassau Senior counted up what free trade had done: Except during the brief potato harvest, there was no work at all for 2.4 million Irish adults; by today's calculations, 60 percent unemployment. Woolen, linen, poplin, furniture and glass manufacture had disappeared; fishing had nearly disappeared for lack of capital for boats, storage, etc. Even water-powered grain mills had disappeared, in the country which 1300 years earlier had been synonymous throughout medieval europe for the technology . There were only 39 hospitals serving 8 million people. The Duke of Wellington wrote in 1829 that "there never was a country in which poverty existed to the extent it exists in Ireland

British free trade and laissez fare was for Britian , not Ireland . Irelands manufacturing base and ability to engage in trade was deliberately curtailed to the point of its destruction . Instead it was deliberately forced into agriculture and the production of cash crops for British landlords . Virtually all the prfoits from those cash crops went directly to the city of london financing mortagges and commercial speculation . This left an Irish national population with no employment outside of harvesting the cash crops . A population which the system and its rulers viewed as an unnecessary hindrance and a political and military liability to the project of profit and exploitation which the British state was engaged with in Ireland . Profits that wer essential to the City of Londons yearly financial intake . Dean Johnathon Swift had pointed out that even decades earlier half of the revenue to the city of London emanating from within the UK came from Irish cash crops and property speculation
    The potato blight brought an opportunity to the British state to put an end to that problem , the growing threat to their profit and domination , around 9 million starving unemployed people with absolutely nothing to lose but their chains . And they did get rid of that problem , very effectively . Their policies were directed towards exterminating that problem They ensured the problem starved to death and went into exile.

The Victorian government of the time saw it, as PHB pointed out, as devine intervention, as many did the Black Death when that swept across europe. Many people see HIV as devine intervention today.

The mismanagement was appalling and the blatant disregard for people's lives is unbellieveable by todays standards. Does this make it Genocide?

exactly, the British working classes had jobs and could afford to buy other food. I'm not sure about being that dependant on potatos though, I haven't heard that before.

the population explosion in england was largely due to the potato , a very cheap , nutritious and widely available foodstuff . But in Ireland the population was reduced to a virtual potato culture and wholly dependent upon it . When the potato blight hit england its population had alternatives to turn to .
    the same could be said about Scotland too, the Scots were not allowed to form their own trading companies as everything was expectred to come through the Union's trading company, the East India company.

certainly the scots were at a disadvantage . But they had not been subject to penal laws and colonisation . They had not been dispossessed and subdued to the extent Ireland was over the centuries .

The Victorian government of the time saw it, as PHB pointed out, as devine intervention, as many did the Black Death when that swept across europe. Many people see HIV as devine intervention today.

The mismanagement was appalling and the blatant disregard for people's lives is unbellieveable by todays standards. Does this make it Genocide?

what makes it genocide is if the policies and actions were intended to have the effect they did . Death and exile on a grand scale , the removal of a population deemed surplus to requirements . Evictions of hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, even of people paying their rent were policy . The effects of that policy was easily foreseen even in those days . That cannot be defined as disregard , it can only be defined as deliberate . The removal of the countrys food supply at the point of a gun , even in those days , was also forseeable in its effects upon the population . In previous decades during an earlier potato blight governemnt measures had been taken to prevent mass starvation , food exports were curtailed . In the run up to the holocaust senior governemnt advisors had warned them of impending catastrophe . And yet the measures introduced were calculated to exacerbate it , to take full advantage of it . The advantage was economic , in that sheep and cattle were more profitable , political and military . The population was reduced to a more managable number . Attempts to remedy the situation were repeatedly and actively blocked . The policymakers themselves stood to benefit from genocide as well as to secure their foothold politically and militarily

And far from it beiong viewed by the policy makers as a disaster or mismanagement they openly called it a success . They were even decorated and honoured for their work . So the only logical conclusion to draw is that their policies had the effect the people who made and enforced those policies had intended . Which is why they announced they were happy at the result of their policies .
    So yes , I believe it most certainly qualifies as genocide .

the population explosion in england was largely due to the potato , a very cheap , nutritious and widely available foodstuff . But in Ireland the population was reduced to a virtual potato culture and wholly dependent upon it . When the potato blight hit england its population had alternatives to turn to .

certainly the scots were at a disadvantage . But they had not been subject to penal laws and colonisation . They had not been dispossessed and subdued to the extent Ireland was over the centuries .

what makes it genocide is if the policies and actions were intended to have the effect they did . Death and exile on a grand scale , the removal of a population deemed surplus to requirements . Evictions of hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, even of people paying their rent were policy . The effects of that policy was easily foreseen even in those days . That cannot be defined as disregard , it can only be defined as deliberate . The removal of the countrys food supply at the point of a gun , even in those days , was also forseeable in its effects upon the population . In previous decades during an earlier potato blight governemnt measures had been taken to prevent mass starvation , food exports were curtailed . In the run up to the holocaust senior governemnt advisors had warned them of impending catastrophe . And yet the measures introduced were calculated to exacerbate it , to take full advantage of it . The advantage was economic , in that sheep and cattle were more profitable , political and military . The population was reduced to a more managable number . Attempts to remedy the situation were repeatedly and actively blocked . The policymakers themselves stood to benefit from genocide as well as to secure their foothold politically and militarily

And far from it beiong viewed by the policy makers as a disaster or mismanagement they openly called it a success . They were even decorated and honoured for their work . So the only logical conclusion to draw is that their policies had the effect the people who made and enforced those policies had intended . Which is why they announced they were happy at the result of their policies .
    So yes , I believe it most certainly qualifies as genocide .

The difference with the Scots was not that they were subjected to different laws, they just accepted them and joined in, rather than constantly rebelling. I'm not saying that was right or wrong, but they chose to fight with and not against..

In terms of the rest of your post, can you post links to bak any of that up or is it more senationalist propaganda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bad as conditions were for the english working class they had money to buy food with thanks to being employed in industry . Athur Griffiths analysis of the state of the Irish economy in that period pointed out

I disagree, England had gone through the agricultural revolution, Ireland had not. Ten percent of usable land was planted with potatoes in Ireland, thats a huge dependence. It wouldn't have been anything like that in England.

Going back to the original question.
    So you think that the British Empire spread democracy across the globe? Oh, you think that the Statute of Westminster was the greatest legislation ever passed? Well let's discuss that, in this thread.

Any off-topic posts in other threads which I don't think should be there will be moved into here, and the poster may well recieve a ban if he/she has been a repeat offender.

[Please note that using this thread as an excuse for personal abuse or racism (in the nationalist sense) will result in a ban.

----

One thing that the British Empire certainly did was; spread the English language around the globe. Many former colonies, USA, Canada, Australia & New Zeeland are principaly English speaking (granted Spanish is taking hold in the US now) Many African countries are undergoing a "language shift" to English even though the empire is no more.

And yes, many of these countries have adopted the British style of Government and legal systems "innocent until proven guilty" as well as many of the British common laws. Some former colonies have of course reverted to a style of government that is similar to what was prelevant in the region before colonisation. Instead of a Chief you now have a "one party state".

Going back to the original question.

One thing that the British Empire certainly did was; spread the English language around the globe. Many former colonies, USA, Canada, Australia & New Zeeland are principaly English speaking (granted Spanish is taking hold in the US now) Many African countries are undergoing a "language shift" to English even though the empire is no more.

And yes, many of these countries have adopted the British style of Government and legal systems "innocent until proven guilty" as well as many of the British common laws. Some former colonies have of course reverted to a style of government that is similar to what was prelevant in the region before colonisation. Instead of a Chief you now have a "one party state".

Don't forget Britain's three most successful exports, Football, Rugby and Cricket:D

The difference with the Scots was not that they were subjected to different laws, they just accepted them and joined in, rather than constantly rebelling. I'm not saying that was right or wrong, but they chose to fight with and not against..

In terms of the rest of your post, can you post links to bak any of that up or is it more senationalist propaganda?

In the knowlege of mass graves , a decimated population , a campaign of mass eviction and an open hatred of the Irish population I think the onus is on you to provide links that show those who planned and implemented these policies neither foresaw nor welcomed the results of their policies . Rather than have me chasing my tail providing links only to have a mindset dismiss it regardless .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

In the knowlege of mass graves , a decimated population , a campaign of mass eviction and an open hatred of the Irish population I think the onus is on you to provide links that show those who planned and implemented these policies neither foresaw nor welcomed the results of their policies . Rather than have me chasing my tail providing links only to have a mindset dismiss it regardless .

Hi Fredrick and unionist friends, did you miss me :D . That's it kreuzberger, no matter what logic/evidence you produce for our English unionist friend will present " a mindset dismiss it regardless ". That's when he knows his beaten :).

Don't forget Britain's three most successful exports, Football, Rugby and Cricket:D

All three of which are played in Ireland.

I'm not questioning the mass graves, or the evictions. I am questioning if it was blatant extermination as you seem to think. A few quotes do not make a government's policy.

In another thread, it was quoted that imports of food into Ireland exceeded exports, if that is the case then how can it be considered deliberate extermination. There was aid provided to Ireland from all over Britain, the Commonwealth and the US, if the British government was intent on killing people why did they allow this to proceed.

You also conveniently forget that there was a lot of people in England providing charity to those affected, why is it there is no recognotion of this, just constant rejection of everything Britain did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fratton Fred, you've claimed that

A. It was just normal government policy
    B. This would not have happened in Britain

How do you reconcile this claims?

Fratton Fred, you've claimed that

A. It was just normal government policy
    B. This would not have happened in Britain

How do you reconcile this claims?

two different points, please explain what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Don't forget Britain's three most successful exports, Football, Rugby and Cricket
    All three of which are played in Ireland.

None of them, alas, particularly well.

PDN wrote: »
    None of them, alas, particularly well.

At least Ireland has an excuse, the inventor should be pretty good at these by now:o :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

'Cromwell - An Honourable Enemy'
    by Tom Reilly
    'This long overdue evaluation of Cromwell's campaign in Ireland, published on the 350th anniversary of that campaign, challenges all conventional interpretations.

Thousands of defenceless men, women and children are alleged to have lost their lives as a result of the 'scorched earth' policy of Oliver Cromwell, who has long been regarded as the most reviled figure in Irish history and who is still generally regarded there as a genocidal maniac and religious fanatic...

Yet, argues Tom, the traditional viewpoint lacks any solid evidence...

Using only contemporary sources, he examines eye-witness accounts; he also places Cromwell's conduct within the context of the seventeenth century and the rules of war then pertaining...

"With an impressive mastery of detail, he marshals the facts and concludes that Cromwell's appalling reputation appears to be undeserved; also as the first successful English military conqueror of Ireland, his emphatic success was a foregone conclusion so inadequate were the royalist forces in Ireland".

"During Cromwell's Irish mission he proved to be significantly more compassionate than many of his contempories, and he scrupulously adhered to the letter of the law of contemporary warfare while communicating with the various governors of the various garrisons throughout Ireland..!"

http://www.ely.org.uk/heros/lordcrom/CromBook.html

...............The reality is Cromwell's monster status is totally out of a proportion in Ireland, many of the things he is accused of were invented by the church and aristocrasy he fought against.

As an example in Drogheda it was mainly English royalists who were killed, not Irish at all, the same at Wexford. Cromwell came to Ireland to fight those who supported the English king.

Further, it was Catholic landowners who supported the Royalist cause who were banished not ordinary Catholics.

It was not just Irish sent off as indentured servants, another lie. English Royalists were also banished as indentured servants and subjected to the later penal laws.

On Monday 10th September Cromwell had a letter delivered to the governor, the English Royalist, Sir Arthur Aston which read:

Sir, having brought the army of the Parliament of England before this place, to reduce it to obedience, I thought fit to summon you to deliver the same into my hands to their use. If this be refused, you will have no cause to blame me. I expect your answer and remain your servant, O. Cromwell

The contemporary laws of war were clear that if surrender was refused and a garrison was taken by an assault, then the lives of its defenders would be forfeit, as Cromwell's letter strongly implies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Drogheda

After breaking into the town, the New Model soldiers pursued the defenders through the streets, killing them as they ran. A group of defenders had barricaded themselves in Millmount Fort, overlooking the town's eastern gate held out while the rest of the town was being sacked. They negotiated a surrender, but were then disarmed and killed. Another group of soldiers in St Peters church (at the northern end of Drogheda) were burned to death when the Parliamentarian soldiers set fire to the Church. Arthur Aston, the Royalist commander, was, reportedly, beaten to death with his own wooden leg, which the New Model Army soldiers thought had gold hidden in it. Richard Talbot, the future Jacobite Duke of Tyrconnell was one of the few members of the garrison to survive the sack. Only 150 Parliamentarians were killed in the attack. The few Royalists who survived were deported to Barbados. Cromwell wrote: "I do not think 30 of their whole number escaped with their lives. Those that did are in safe custody in the Barbados." Though Colonel John Hewson wrote "those in the towers being about 200, did yield to the Generals mercy, where most of them have their lives and be sent to Barbados.” The 200 taken prisoner tallies with Royalist estimates. It is alleged in some accounts that as few as 700 civilians died in the chaotic aftermath of the fall of Drogheda,

.......... Deporting some to the west Indies and sparing them was an act of mercy.
    Rome has a had a vested intrest in playing up the Norman old English feudal Catholic rulers in Ireland and over stating the wrongs of the republican Cromwell, for obvious reasons.

Previous to indentured service captured prisoners were all executed.

Cromwells plantations were on lands taken from feudal Norman aristocrats and their Gaelic aristocratic quislings, not the rural Irish as the church has taught. The rural Irish were Norman serfs, the sad fact is they fought for their feudal masters, instead of Cromwells army, who were fighting for one man one vote.

At this time in history Catholicism meant support for monarchy, aristocracy and feudalism.

"The final official plantations took place under Oliver Cromwell’s English Commonwealth during the 1650s, when thousands of Parliamentarian soldiers were settled in Ireland".

"Having come under the influence of London radicals called the Levellers, the troops of the Army proposed a revolutionary new constitution named the Agreement of the People, which called for almost universal male suffrage, reform of electoral boundaries, power to rest with the Parliament which was to be elected every two years (by the people), religious freedom, and an end to imprisonment for debt."

Cromwell was an honorable enemy who's reputation has been historically lied about by the RC church and English landed classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Pathfinder wrote: »
    'Cromwell - An Honourable Enemy'
    by Tom Reilly
    'This long overdue evaluation of Cromwell's campaign in Ireland, published on the 350th anniversary of that campaign, challenges all conventional interpretations.

Thousands of defenceless men, women and children are alleged to have lost their lives as a result of the 'scorched earth' policy of Oliver Cromwell, who has long been regarded as the most reviled figure in Irish history and who is still generally regarded there as a genocidal maniac and religious fanatic...

Yet, argues Tom, the traditional viewpoint lacks any solid evidence...

Using only contemporary sources, he examines eye-witness accounts; he also places Cromwell's conduct within the context of the seventeenth century and the rules of war then pertaining...

"With an impressive mastery of detail, he marshals the facts and concludes that Cromwell's appalling reputation appears to be undeserved; also as the first successful English military conqueror of Ireland, his emphatic success was a foregone conclusion so inadequate were the royalist forces in Ireland".

"During Cromwell's Irish mission he proved to be significantly more compassionate than many of his contempories, and he scrupulously adhered to the letter of the law of contemporary warfare while communicating with the various governors of the various garrisons throughout Ireland..!"

http://www.ely.org.uk/heros/lordcrom/CromBook.html

...............The reality is Cromwell's monster status is totally out of a proportion in Ireland, many of the things he is accused of were invented by the church and aristocrasy he fought against.

As an example in Drogheda it was mainly English royalists who were killed, not Irish at all, the same at Wexford. Cromwell came to Ireland to fight those who supported the English king.

Further, it was Catholic landowners who supported the Royalist cause who were banished not ordinary Catholics.

It was not just Irish sent off as indentured servants, another lie. English Royalists were also banished as indentured servants and subjected to the later penal laws.

On Monday 10th September Cromwell had a letter delivered to the governor, the English Royalist, Sir Arthur Aston which read:

Sir, having brought the army of the Parliament of England before this place, to reduce it to obedience, I thought fit to summon you to deliver the same into my hands to their use. If this be refused, you will have no cause to blame me. I expect your answer and remain your servant, O. Cromwell

The contemporary laws of war were clear that if surrender was refused and a garrison was taken by an assault, then the lives of its defenders would be forfeit, as Cromwell's letter strongly implies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Drogheda

After breaking into the town, the New Model soldiers pursued the defenders through the streets, killing them as they ran. A group of defenders had barricaded themselves in Millmount Fort, overlooking the town's eastern gate held out while the rest of the town was being sacked. They negotiated a surrender, but were then disarmed and killed. Another group of soldiers in St Peters church (at the northern end of Drogheda) were burned to death when the Parliamentarian soldiers set fire to the Church. Arthur Aston, the Royalist commander, was, reportedly, beaten to death with his own wooden leg, which the New Model Army soldiers thought had gold hidden in it. Richard Talbot, the future Jacobite Duke of Tyrconnell was one of the few members of the garrison to survive the sack. Only 150 Parliamentarians were killed in the attack. The few Royalists who survived were deported to Barbados. Cromwell wrote: "I do not think 30 of their whole number escaped with their lives. Those that did are in safe custody in the Barbados." Though Colonel John Hewson wrote "those in the towers being about 200, did yield to the Generals mercy, where most of them have their lives and be sent to Barbados.” The 200 taken prisoner tallies with Royalist estimates. It is alleged in some accounts that as few as 700 civilians died in the chaotic aftermath of the fall of Drogheda,

.......... Deporting some to the west Indies and sparing them was an act of mercy.
    Rome has a had a vested intrest in playing up the Norman old English feudal Catholic rulers in Ireland and over stating the wrongs of the republican Cromwell, for obvious reasons.

Previous to indentured service captured prisoners were all executed.

Cromwells plantations were on lands taken from feudal Norman aristocrats and their Gaelic aristocratic quislings, not the rural Irish as the church has taught. The rural Irish were Norman serfs, the sad fact is they fought for their feudal masters, instead of Cromwells army, who were fighting for one man one vote.

At this time in history Catholicism meant support for monarchy, aristocracy and feudalism.

"The final official plantations took place under Oliver Cromwell’s English Commonwealth during the 1650s, when thousands of Parliamentarian soldiers were settled in Ireland".

"Having come under the influence of London radicals called the Levellers, the troops of the Army proposed a revolutionary new constitution named the Agreement of the People, which called for almost universal male suffrage, reform of electoral boundaries, power to rest with the Parliament which was to be elected every two years (by the people), religious freedom, and an end to imprisonment for debt."

Cromwell was an honorable enemy who's reputation has been historically lied about by the RC church and English landed classes.

You shouldn't have gone to the trouble of posting the above, but if you used the Search function you would see that Cromwell and Tom Reilly's version of him, has been more than covered many times in this forum :rolleyes:.

I'm not questioning the mass graves, or the evictions. I am questioning if it was blatant extermination as you seem to think. A few quotes do not make a government's policy.

. The policy was implemented by the people who controlled Ireland on the ground , the landlords and the administrators . if you were evicted from your home you and your family either starved to death or died of exposure , whichever got you first . If your own relatives tried to shelter you , they were evicted also . This was British policy in Ireland in the midst of mass starvation . This ensured death or exile . Britain engaged in mass evictions from the land while simultaneously removing the food during mass starvation .That was genocide .

The man charged with administering relief wrote at the height of the crisis that the potato failure was a
    ‘mechanism for reducing surplus population’.
    and that
    ‘The judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson, that calamity must not be too much mitigated. …The real evil with which we have to contend is not the physical evil of the Famine, but the moral evil of the selfish, perverse and turbulent character of the people’.

In another thread, it was quoted that imports of food into Ireland exceeded exports,

i thought you preferred to ignore quotes , and youd be as well ignoring that one . Indian corn was brought to Ireland and sold at vastly inflated prices . Poor people couldnt afford to buy it . So they died , but not before the rich had made a serious profit from them after theyd sold what few belongings they had to pay for it . The corn soon ran out , but food exports from Ireland continued in abundance . The many thousands of troops protecting the landlords and the exports whilst also carrying out mass evictions were hoowever well provsioned . They didnt go hungry .
    Eventually ships carrying supplies to Ireland were turned back on the orders of the man , Trevelyan , who viewed starvation as a means of reducing surplus population
    if that is the case then how can it be considered deliberate extermination. There was aid provided to Ireland from all over Britain, the Commonwealth and the US, if the British government was intent on killing people why did they allow this to proceed.

Private charities , US and Canadian citizens were not the people responsible for policy in Ireland . Therefore dont try and credit the British regime in Ireland with their activities . The regime itself began refusing entry to ships carrying aid to Ireland , during the height of the holocaust in 1847 . .
    You also conveniently forget that there was a lot of people in England providing charity to those affected, why is it there is no recognotion of this, just constant rejection of everything Britain did?

you believe Irish people should actually be thankful to Britian for the 1840s and express some gratitude ?

my my , what an ungrateful lot we are . Must be our inveterate evil and perverse moral characters or something

The fact is many English people were appaled at what their country men were doing in Ireland . One such person was Benjamin Jowett, Master of Balliol college of Oxford . He once wrote "I have always felt a certain horror of political economists, since I heard one of them say that he feared that the famine of 1848 in Ireland would not kill more than one million people, and that would scarcely be enough to do much good." The person he was referring to was Nassau Senior , the senior British governemnt advisor during the potato blight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

you believe Irish people should actually be thankful to Britian for the 1840s and express some gratitude ?

He does, you know! Next thing he'll be proposing a statue of Queen Victoria be erected somewhere in Ireland to acknowledge the paltry few bob sent. The British propaganda machine is relentless on good old boards.

The Irish people are hugely indebted to the generosity of the Choctaw tribe during this period, a people who themselves suffered famine a few years previous who managed to give $710, a relatively huge amount for such poor people to offer. Anyone who suggests we are even remotely indebted to the British Empire at this time is a liar, a fraud and a fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

McArmalite wrote: »
    You shouldn't have gone to the trouble of posting the above, but if you used the Search function you would see that Cromwell and Tom Reilly's version of him, has been more than covered many times in this forum :rolleyes:.

Gotta be honest. It drives me mad when posters quote a massive post and then just add a few lines.
    Making it harder for everyone to read :mad:

• Advertisement

So you think that the British Empire spread democracy across the globe? Oh, you think that the Statute of Westminster was the greatest legislation ever passed? Well let's discuss that, in this thread.

Any off-topic posts in other threads which I don't think should be there will be moved into here, and the poster may well recieve a ban if he/she has been a repeat offender.

[Please note that using this thread as an excuse for personal abuse or racism (in the nationalist sense) will result in a ban.

----

Anyone who suggests we are even remotely indebted to the British Empire at this time is a liar, a fraud and a fake.

This thread is about the effect of the British Empire (Ireland WAS Part of Britain at the time) on former colonies around the world not Ireland.

Advertisement