Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supporting craft breweries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Picked up Larkin's Session IPA 6 pack in O'Briens yesterday.

Was priced at €12 but went through as €10 on the till.

Their Pale Ale is my go to beer but they didn't have any in stock.

Revolver (pale ale) and the Pilsner are both €2 and €3 off their respective fridge packs in O'Brien's atm. €12 for 8 cans of the pils is exceptional value for the Pils.

Both will be sold as a sub brand called Curious Society in fridge packs from multiples.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

15 minute interview with the founders of Kinnegar, which most people are going to find out they mispronounce, from RTE at the weekend. Mentions a significant problem in sourcing cans due to the huge increase in demand - that they still have the core line in bottles is probably an advantage here.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21912242

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

L1011 wrote: »
    15 minute interview with the founders of Kinnegar, which most people are going to find out they mispronounce
    Don't know what you're talking about :o

Where does he say it? The DJ introducing them says it like I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Where does he say it? The DJ introducing them says it like I do.

It's pronounced the same as vinegar.

• Advertisement

I was finally right about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

My wife's from Inishowen, I was quickly corrected years ago!
    L1011 wrote: »
    15 minute interview with the founders of Kinnegar, which most people are going to find out they mispronounce, from RTE at the weekend. Mentions a significant problem in sourcing cans due to the huge increase in demand - that they still have the core line in bottles is probably an advantage here.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21912242

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But in a Donegal accent!

But in a Donegal accent!

Vinegar hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How else could you say it??

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    How else could you say it??

Kina gaar is how most people pronounce it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The lads on the Mother Mac's zoom call were giving it a fierce, west coast "Kina-gaarrrrr".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Helmet wrote: »
    My wife's from Inishowen, I was quickly corrected years ago!

My ex from LK was very quick to sort that out for me as well. I've kept the tradition on ever since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

irish_goat wrote: »
    The lads on the Mother Mac's zoom call were giving it a fierce, west coast "Kina-gaarrrrr".

haha yup this is very common!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Beanstalk wrote: »
    haha yup this is very common!

Pretty sure the manager of McHugh's in Artane pronounces it that way, too, and they've brewed a Road Trip beer with them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If White Hag's shamrock ale wasn't up your street as a St.Patrick's Day beer, Kinnegar have a more serious offering coming out.

https://twitter.com/KinnegarBrewing/status/1364927187611189249

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

irish_goat wrote: »
    If White Hag's shamrock ale wasn't up your street as a St.Patrick's Day beer, Kinnegar have a more serious offering coming out.

https://twitter.com/KinnegarBrewing/status/1364927187611189249

Can't wait to get this. I loved their black rye IPA, their session & normal rye IPA and even the Brewers at Play rye lager they did. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Not many other Irish Breweries focusing on the Rye as much for sure! Nice to get that spiciness every once in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Love me some Kinnegaarr.. been a while since they had anything new.

Got a delivery from CraftCentral only today too.. typical!

New Juicy Pale Ale from White Hag announced too - Magic Mist - sounds right up my street!

https://twitter.com/TheWhiteHag/status/1364937456647368708?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Basq wrote: »

New Juicy Pale Ale from White Hag announced too - Magic Mist - sounds right up my street!

Drinking it now. Quite like Atlantan, but more bitter finish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Found a bottle of Leann Folláin I'd forgotten about. Thought it might make the United match more fun. It didn't. -_-

Still a great stout though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I spotted that new Leann Folláin last week, and assumed it was just some of the December one that was making it's way back onto the shelves.
    I'll give it a try, but I was underwhelmed by the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I had the Leann Follain earlier. Much better than the last one. The sherry cask really adds a lot to the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Borzoi wrote: »

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. https://imgur.com/gallery/uu9pmDP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Borzoi wrote: »

Some of their core (are they core?) beers like Atlantean are really good. I liked the SMASH IPA series as well, for the most part.

I do agree with people who give out about some recent White Hag beers, but my observation would be that the clangers have mainly been the flavoured stouts and maybe some of the sours?

.. would be that the clangers have mainly been the flavoured stouts and maybe some of the sours?
    Their flavoured stouts / Dark Druid series are far too sweet for my taste, but they've got a big fanbase I think.

Outside of the core Puca series, they haven't really been doing much in the way of sours if you think about it.. certainly none that comes to mind. I think they've embraced sours a lot less (outside than core) than other breweries in recent years. Also, not to my taste, so I'm glad.

As I've heard them indicate previously, their "Spree" series (Shamrock Shake / Moccachino) are more for showing a fun side where the likes of "SMaSH" are for showcasing the malt and hop used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Some of their core (are they core?) beers like Atlantean are really good. I liked the SMASH IPA series as well, for the most part.

I do agree with people who give out about some recent White Hag beers, but my observation would be that the clangers have mainly been the flavoured stouts and maybe some of the sours?

I've a can of mint chocolate stout sitting there for ages (ok, a couple of weeks) and every time I pick it up I just shudder and put it back down... will try it today, worst case it gets poured.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Basq wrote: »
    Their flavoured stouts / Dark Druid series are far too sweet for my taste, but they've got a big fanbase I think.

Outside of the core Puca series, they haven't really been doing much in the way of sours if you think about it.. certainly none that comes to mind. I think they've embraced sours a lot less (outside than core) than other breweries in recent years. Also, not to my taste, so I'm glad.

As I've heard them indicate previously, their "Spree" series (Shamrock Shake / Moccachino) are more for showing a fun side where the likes of "SMaSH" are for showcasing the malt and hop used.

From my POV they led the way with sours and then it came to a shuddering halt just as it became popular as a genre.

I'm hoping they can expand that range again, I think they had a lime and matcha one that was superb that didn't stick around for very long. Same with In Cahoots.

.. think they had a lime and matcha one that was superb that didn't stick around for very long.
    My other half absolutely loved that one too..

.. have asked about the potential of bringing it back a few times but no dice!

• Advertisement

From my POV they led the way with sours and then it came to a shuddering halt just as it became popular as a genre.

I'm hoping they can expand that range again, I think they had a lime and matcha one that was superb that didn't stick around for very long. Same with In Cahoots.

Their original Heather sour was fantastic and amazing value.
    The barrel aged one is also excellent but much dearer than the original.

Of the puca range, I've only likes the lemon, but I really like that.

Advertisement