22-01-2021, 08:05   #16
hblock21

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmf5 View Post
the deleted information was stored on the separate server, no one had access to it. With the database merge complete, the information has now been permanently removed.

In other words, your "deleted" kits can't be accessed easily but we have them under lock and key.....for a few years, until such time people forget about them and we can then sell them on.

"the information has now been permanently removed"

but you will note the email does not state they have been DELETED from ALL severs just REMOVED from the live site sever. They still have them on another hidden sever..........

This is all very disappointing, I trusted the site when I uploaded kits a few years ago and I even encouraged other people to do it. But at the same time I dont believe its only gedmatch, I believe it would be common practise and all the other dna sites to behave in the same way. Once they have your dna, they always have it even if you delete it.
Now, I am not a person that really cares that they are hoodwinking us all like this and I am not going to delete my kits. What I am worried about is that we will most likely over a period of time see less and less people doing dna and so for people like myself that love researching dna matches - we will hit a wall. Although, I believe it has already started, dna has hit its saturation point.

Last edited by hblock21; 22-01-2021 at 08:17.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-01-2021, 12:02   #17
bellaf

I was under the impression that my details on Gedmatch were deleted but this morning I received an e-mail from a gentleman in Romania who claims he is a match. He had my relation's Gedmatch user name and my e-mail address. I wondered if anybody else been contacted recently on their "deleted" accounts?
24-01-2021, 12:27   #18
stopthevoting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaf View Post
I was under the impression that my details on Gedmatch were deleted but this morning I received an e-mail from a gentleman in Romania who claims he is a match. He had my relation's Gedmatch user name and my e-mail address. I wondered if anybody else been contacted recently on their "deleted" accounts?

He may have got the match before you deleted it, and only got around to sending the email now.
If you only deleted your kit, and not your account, you would still be able to log in to see your account, and it should say "You have not uploaded any DNA kits".
If your account is completely deleted, if you wish, I can check if your number shows up, if you want to sent it by PM.
However, going by some of the previous posts here, it is worrying that we can't be sure whether or not they are retaining data that is supposed to be deleted.
(2) thanks from:
24-01-2021, 13:37   #19
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaf View Post
It is possible that he may have seen you as a match around the time of the 14th and 15th of January. My old deleted kits re-appeared on my GEDmatch account and were appearing as matches to people that time.
Thanks from:
24-01-2021, 14:08   #20
pinkypinky

Certainly I downloaded the full set of matches for all my kits before I deleted my kits/accounts!
Advertisement
24-01-2021, 14:36   #21
bellaf

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get into the Gedmatch account and it seems that my matches were deleted alright but my mother's on the same account weren't. The man is a genuine match which is a relief. He was as surprised as I was when he realised his match was Irish! Thanks again!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion