Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

Go via Nantes for definite. Its about 3 hours drive so just over half way. There are petrol stations every 20 km and the bigger ones have very good facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It really depends on what time your ferry arrives as If its late you may as well check into a motel/lodge on the way down as the park will be closed.(presuming mobile home holiday).

Nantes is the way to go and then head to La Roche Sur Yon. After La Roche Sur Yon the roads get a little more regional but still better than our roads.

Like mentioned there are services all over the place on your journey down. As mentioned they have play areas in all those places. If you cannot bring yourself to try a domestic restaurant on day 1 McDonalds will invariably all have play areas.

On the N165 there is a services just before Nantes with a Mcdonalds and a Brit Hotel Atlantel. It could tick either box for you.

Les 4 nations
    44360 vigneux de bretagne, France

Personally if it was me I would try to drive all the way there and just before arriving I would head into a Carrefour supermarket to get all the stuff for the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi all!
    thinking of getting the ferry to northern France in september and have not got a clue about the best campsites in that area.
    anyone been there who could give me some pointers?
    Thinking close to the beach with amenities etc.
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Have a look at http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/ , they have some great sites in Brittany, and Normandy.

We stayed at les-mouettes (booked with the campsites website, got a better deal than through the yellohvillage site), and found it to be brilliant. very close to the ferry (about 30 minutes) and plenty to do and see in the immediate area. Another highly recommended site in the area is Le Ranolien again it was cheaper to book directly with the campsite than through yellohvillage.

Further south in brittany is Benodet, This site was the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I stayed at a campsite in Dol de Bretagne last year and it was excellent.
    http://www.lesormes.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We are going back to Carnac this year for the second time.
    The campsite we use is called Le Grand Metairie and is rated 4* by Le Castels.
    We found it brilliant as it had everything on site if you could want. Fantastic pool complex with indoor swimming pool if the weather doesn't play ball.
    Waterslides etc.
    There is a massive sandy beach just down the road which is safe for kids.
    It all depends on what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The first thing you need to look at is when you will be arriving. Many of the camp sites will start closing around the 15th September or so. And many of the amenities will start closing around the end of high season - end August or so. Check before you make your final decision.

The weather in Brittany and Normandy can be quite like Ireland so perhaps look at going that bit further south.

Keycamp are a good company and their sites are generally fine. Within the keycamp sites, there are a number that are a member of the "Les Castels" group. These campsites are all in the grounds of chateaux and are generally of an excellent standard.

In Normandy, Camping La Vallée in Houlgate is lovely. Good facilities and only a 5 minute drive from a lovely beach. Its also only a 30 minute drive from Bayeux which is a lovely town (the famous tapestry and the cathedral). And its also in Calvados country. www.campinglavallee.com Its also close enough to visit the D-Day beaches

Camping Le Mane Guernehue http://www.camping-baden.com/ is in Southern Brittany and has the added advantage of an indoor pool and jacuzzi and exercise rooms. But it is on a hill. The beaches of Carnac are close by. The nearby town of Baden (2 minutes walk) has a fabulous creperie called La Goelette and a nice supermarket etc.

Further South, the Vendee has some fabulous beaches (think Tramore magnified many, many times). Really lovely. Its also warmer and is in wine territory. We stayed in Camping La Zagarella 2 (there is another Zagarella in St. Jean des Monts up the coast). http://www.campingzagarella.com/accueil-EN.html This campsite is 5 minutes drive from a wonderful beach. The area was affected by storm Xanthe (a town 20 minutes drive from the campsite lost 40 people sadly) but it appears that people have pulled together and any infrastructural damage has been repaired. The disadvantage of this site (any site generally from here down the rest of the west coast) is that the emplacements are quite small. You don't get the space that you get in Brittany or Normandy or Picardy.

Take a look at www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes and click on the Europe button to get an idea of distances. I'd be inclined to go as far south as you can.

great food for thought right there!
    hope i get something around end august early sept!(holidays dictate)
    one last thing- anyone of the above better for younger children circa 2 yo etc
    thanks again!
    slan

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

In terms of the sites I've recommended, then either La Vallee or Zagarella would be better.

Mane Guernehue had a hill that was impossible. The facilities were brilliant for children but I can't imagine pushing a buggy either up or down that hill.

La Vallee is on a hill but its not half as bad as Mane Guernehue. The pool area is lovely and there are great children's facilities. The town of Houlgate (where the campsite is situated) is lovely and safe to walk about.

Zagarella has the best children's pool complex ever (look at their website). And its flat and its very safe for kids.

What I will suggest you do, if you can afford the extra, is look for a deck. And use the door gate to block off the exit from the deck. That way your little one will be able to play outside for a few mins while you're doing the washing up or whatever and won't wander. And it also gives you peace of mind when you're eating outside.

We stayed in Chateau des Ormes in Brittany (again on a hill!!) and even though the facilities were fabulous, we felt it was far too big if you had little ones. Very easy for them to be overwhelmed or get lost.

I'd be inclined to stick to smaller sites with a smaller child. Bigger sites when the kids get bigger.

Enjoy France, its a fabulous country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

We spent many years camping in France, and most of the sites we stayed on were part of this group:

http://www.les-castels.com/

They're all independent, but all we tried were of very high quality. Les Ormes is part of the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

My parents swear by two campsites - Pointe St Gilles in Benodet & Le Grand Metarie in Carnac. This year, we're off to Le Bois Masson (a Siblu site) at the end of August in St Jean de Monts. Most French campsites close around 12th September so it's the latest we can go.

Incidentally, we cashed in our Tesco vouchers for Irish Ferries and Siblu deal vouchers, so our holiday ended up costing us €90 cash in total!!!

tried in vain to book a mobile home or whatever they are called and cannot get one in any of the sites mentioned.
    only camping(ie hooking up my campervan or caravan etc)
    can i only book in blocks of 7 days or what?
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Sean - try www.siblu.com

We booked our mobile direct for 12 nights with no problem and there's still availability for when you're travelling

all set just over a grand for 2 weeks and ferry,sweet!
    1st timer hopefully not my last.
    thanks for all your help!
    looked over various review websites and this one came up frequently as being good!
    check out http://www.zoover.co.uk/
    found it great!
    slan
    bon vancances!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Has anyone done this.
    Thinking of going for 8 nights and wondering if anyone has any advice for staying in a few different areas and if sites can be booked for 2/3 nights at a time.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Creteboom1

Hi. I am thinking of doing the same thing, a trip to France, not sure of the itenerary yet, probably 2 weeks, sail from Cork to either Roscoff & return through Cherbourg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We only bought our camper last summer, so this will be our first overseas trip, so we are very much green in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Creteboom1 wrote: »
    Hi. I am thinking of doing the same thing, a trip to France, not sure of the itenerary yet, probably 2 weeks, sail from Cork to either Roscoff & return through Cherbourg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We only bought our camper last summer, so this will be our first overseas trip, so we are very much green in this area.

Start saving tesco vouchers, they can be used on Irish ferries.

Other than that just enjoy the trip France is very campervan friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Travel as much as possible on national roads, much more relaxing and plenty of scenery and villages to stop off. Motorway tolls are quite expensive.
    France has excellent facilities for camper vans.
    Mont St Michel in Brittany is a good stopoff.

• Traveling along the coast through Brittany is really nice. Worked over there for six months and some great towns and villages. Mont St Michel is a must and towns like Carnac, Vannes, Auray are lovely spots to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Traveling along the coast through Brittany is really nice. Worked over there for six months and some great towns and villages. Mont St Michel is a must and towns like Carnac, Vannes, Auray are lovely spots to stop.

Apologies for being pedantic but it is Normandy. Agree it is a mist see in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi,
    We're looking to go to France with two young boys (5 and 3) with Eurocamp.
    We got quote for Ferry and Chalet in Brittany South. 8 Nights in Brittany and it comes in at 2,300.

This is our first family holiday in July and we are just bit worried we might be paying way too much. Idea was to book early so it might be cheaper.

We were told we were getting 300 euro discount on room an 100 discount on Ferry for booking early.

So is that a reasonable price?

How much would I save if I started shopping in Tesco and did similar holiday?

Going in early June is not option and would prefer not to go late June as that means older child misses school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Sounds reasonable, but it might be possible to do it cheaper.

I have booked camp site holidays in France myself a few times and also booked with Eurocamp - here is my advice based on my experiences.

What ferry company are you travelling with - is it a direct ferry to Cherbourg or Roscoff ?

Check the price of the ferry yourself- its very easy on the websites of the 3 ferry companies - Irish Ferries / Brittany ferries and Stena Line.

You can book directly with most campsites and its usually cheaper but they often only allow sat to sat booking in high season.

Also, if you book directly, you will be in a section of the campsite with mostly French and possibly Dutch families. If you want your kids to use the kids camps or make friends with other English speaking kids , you are better off with Eurocamp - the chalets are higher spec in my experience - The French company ones rarely have an oven ( or maybe I've had bad luck).

Do some price checking on the internet and compare with what you have been quoted by Eurocamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It depends in what your staying in too.
    We've been for 11 years running.

You say Chalet, the fixed mobiles are good and considerably cheaper.

We found that booking direct is easy and cheaper but you'll never get and oven which reduces the option to cook at home and is a pain.

The last time we travelled with a company it was with KelAir and they were keen and lots of extras.

Something to watch also, campsite and ferry prices both change with the peak season, but in opposite ways so while the campsite may be more expensive in peak, the ferry is often cheaper.

On Ferries it's a personal thing. Some just wand the cheapest option going and that's fine. Personally we've settled on Irish Ferries, decent ferry, you get a good standard and selection of food, plenty of space, but pay a little more.

We changed last year and brought our own caravan.

Were happy out in the middle of our European cousins rather than needing to be with the Irish families, and probably prefer it if I'm being honest, nothing worse than being next to some twat that insists on talking every time you stick your head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

hi, was in a similar situation 2 yrs ago, our boys are now 4+2 now and were heading again this yr in early june.we have found that booking with a company is easier when u have kids ie u can book all the things u require beforehand and not have to go looking for them when u arrive, we have only used irish ferries and we find the kids area is great as it tires the kids out so they sleep . doesnt really help you regarding price but you are going in peak season and should expect to pay peak prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Im in the same boat as OP! Although out of interest I booked IF going out and Stenna coming back. Stenna seems to be coming in €100 cheaper each way but then theres the whole ' kids are better catered for' on IF debate.

Id take time of travel into ac aswell OP. So maybe if you get on the ferry early enough (3pmish) you have a chance to tire them out! Too late and theyre just off a car and into a cabin at 10pm...will they sleep?

As regards accommodation its either going to be eurocamp, canvass or Yelloh!
    Yelloh! seems to be coming in way cheaper and folk who have travelled with other companies say in the reviews they should have gone with Yelloh! instead.

Im thinking to book accom early as the cheaper ferry dates were mostly available on weekdays. It seems its not too bad getting 'odd' dates now so I wonder, if we wait will it be harder to get the dates we want?

As regards where in France, I havn't decided but west coast anyhow, near a beach, good pool facilities for kids... possibility of walking to nearby restaurants. The search goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

We used to travel with Eurocamp but this year Al Fresco was around €200 cheaper for same campsite on same dates. Reviews are fine, so we booked Al Fresco. Pays to shop around :)

We are sailing out with IF and home with Stena as dates for travel suited us better, 15 - 28 June. Stena was also cheaper for return journey home.

Our entire holiday with return ferries, 4 nights in davy Crokett Disneyland Paris with half board plus meal plan & 8 nights in yelloh campsite Saint Aubin Sur Mer is €2,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We have 12 nights + Ferry for five of us in mid August and we get the biggest 'chalet with deck' we can get. This year total is €3,302 which includes €414.90 discount from Eurocamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

hi

we have 4 children and the oldest is 5 & 1/2, where are the best campsites in France taking into consideration the journey from the boat with young children, we are considering driving over

any advice appreciated, we went on a haven holiday in wales last 2 years and my wife wants me to investigate France as an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

razor8 wrote: »
    hi

we have 4 children and the oldest is 5 & 1/2, where are the best campsites in France taking into consideration the journey from the boat with young children, we are considering driving over

any advice appreciated, we went on a haven holiday in wales last 2 years and my wife wants me to investigate France as an option

really difficult question to answer but the time of year you are heading can make a difference as if you are after sun then the earlier in year the further south you might need to drive.

Take a look at http://www.eurocamp.ie/

Vendee area is where I would recommend drive not so bad and you have lots of camp options on coast.

With Eurocamp you can also book several locations and move around so you can try different areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

There are some good deals in French campsites for June next year. I'm thinking of booking however Irish Ferries have not released their 2016 sailing schedule yet. This June the ferry from Dublin left each Saturday afternoon and arrived in Cherbourg on Sunday morning. What are the chances it will be the same schedule in 2016?

Advertisement