Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Ignore list? How is it?

• 13-11-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭

I've been dossing around boards for quite a long time now, 11yrs plus.
    I'll be the 1st to say I'm far from a prolific poster, but I do browse, contribute where I can and ask a question or 2 when I'm stuck.

In all the time I've been posting here, I always for the most part try to avoid putting other posters on "ignore".
    For a few reasons, but to my mind because I want to ensure that I try and take in all sides of a topic, try and make reasonable arguments based on other posters info and assumptions....

Lately however, I find myself looking at certain posters...
    And thinking, "I hope someone puts bleach on your window, you window licking troglodyte!" along with other less shareable thoughts.
    I find myself often exasperated by the repeated and blasé stupidity on display(Not that I'm a genius, far from it).

So I find myself hovering more and more over the ignore button, to lift those irritances out of my boards experience rather than viewing them let alone even engaging with them.

I don't know if its a symptom of my impending middle age?
    Or my inner irritable bástárd slowly overcoming my thinning skin?

What say you Boardsies?
    Ignore them? Or just blast 'em with piss and batter silent them with an actual Jaguar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ignore list! Life's too short!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

0 people. Pointless to have lots on ignore in a discussion forum. I often disagree with a person on thread A and agree on thread B.

I also don’t really remember usernames anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Too many rereg accounts for an ignore list to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nay, best by far to tear the fat, braying mallet head of their ignorance off them and shit your flawless logic and impeccable information down their miserable greasy necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

None. Although I wish I was on a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It would be much better to get no warning on thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nobody answer yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nobody. The point of discussion forum is you meet people with opinions that differ to your own. Fair enough blocking trolls but they are usually swiftly removed by moderators anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Nobody , I'd probably be better ignoring myself.
    I can't even remember what threads I'm arguing on at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know I'm answering my own question here.
    I don't have anyone on ignore.... YET ;)

But I do find some posters are raising my hackles on a more and more regular basis.
    Probably more a me issue than a them issue tho :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

0, I don't know or want to know how to do It, if I wanted an echo chamber I'd use Facebook or Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

jimgoose wrote: »
    Nay, best by far to tear the fat, braying mallet head of their ignorance off them and shit your flawless logic and impeccable information down their miserable greasy necks.

I laughed.... but with a distinct note of fear.

Empty list. The posters I think are dopey bolloxes one day seem perfectly likeable the next, and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Been here many years, I open and shut accounts quite frequently....never put anyone on ignore.....
    But I'm on a few people's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

1 person, Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

None ever - over several years here. Don't see the point. Disrupts the flow and you'll see quotes from them.

Different on other social media platforms where you can actually fully block people/pages - I get that but that's not the effect of the Boards ignore button.

Just ignore people by not responding/reacting to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ignore list! Life's too short!

That is ambiguous? Life to short to tolerate eejits or life too short to ignore folk? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

this-is-my-ignore-list.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graces7 wrote:
    That is ambiguous? Life to short to tolerate eejits or life too short to ignore folk?

Life's just too short to be getting upset from strangers comments on the internets

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Life's just too short to be getting upset from strangers comments on the internets

I agree totally but easier to ignore the rest of the verbage that they will undoubedly utter ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Who said that ??? :eek:

I've two notorious 'groomers' on ignore, and two I'll probably put on ignore in due course but I want to see what they come up with next. One is a particularly hate-filled character, the other a new incarnation of an sad oddball. Its hard to look away sometimes.

I managed to accidentally delete some friends a while ago, I hope they haven't noticed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I put a troll on it once. Then I kept reading their posts anyway so it was a waste of clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Aongus von Bismarck.

Another poster called Esel was on it too, every post was written in poetry style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Never saw the point in it myself. Spambots get banned. Trolls get banned. I just scroll through stuff I'm not interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Putting a certain poster on ignore would be a sure fire way of reducing the thread pages from 150 to about 5. Scrollin scrollin scrollin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I told long time user End of the Road he was on my list by I was lying I have nobody on the ignore list.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thank this post if you have me on ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Thank this post if you have me on ignore

I usually ignore you, you're an awful bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Putting a certain poster on ignore would be a sure fire way of reducing the thread pages from 150 to about 5. Scrollin scrollin scrollin

I may know who you mean :pac:

Advertisement