Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I don't know much but I feel we will get some very cold weather in around 3 weeks time. I just have a feeling in my bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

A wet and windy night in Tipp. 

Just back from a week of sunny weather so this is a shock to the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice and windy in Dublin 5. We had a few showers earlier and a few glimpses of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I would safely say it’s the worst night in a long time here in east Kerry/cork north border. Don’t have a weather station but I would say sustained wind speeds of 70 Kms plus and gusting well over 100 kms. Heavy rain too lights flicking on and off!! Not long back from training and one of the lads took a shot for a score 20 metres out and it ended up going over the sideline 45 metres out behind him. It was horrendous bordering on dangerous in the finish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Unexpectedly windy here in East Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I would safely say it’s the worst night in a long time here in east Kerry/cork north border. Don’t have a weather station but I would say sustained wind speeds of 70 Kms plus and gusting well over 100 kms. Heavy rain too lights flicking on and off!! Not long back from training and one of the lads took a shot for a score 20 metres out and it ended up going over the sideline 45 metres out behind him. It was horrendous bordering on dangerous in the finish!!

Definitely on the cork side of the border given our football fortunes recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Definitely on the cork side of the border given our football fortunes recently!

Haha actually the Kerry side but I’d say the ball nearly ended up in cork alright!! Jesus it’s woeful out there now still. Def trees down in the morning at this rate esp with the wind coming from the south east

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Winds and gusts really picking up here in Cork city. Could hear KT coming through the stove earlier and now its picked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Can't sleep over the wind noise !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was not expecting that gale last night. A loud and talkative one with serious deluges. West Mayo offshore island.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Terrible night in Dublin and it's not over yet, winds haven't stopped or subsided at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Awful morning in cork city. Heavy rain still and strong winds, didn’t stop all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

PV over Siberia, west atlantic height rises and warmer air being pumped towards Svalbard/Russian high building- This would likely go down the colder GFS route rather than the ECM in the extended range. ECM has stubborn heights building into southern europe just as everything else is falling into place, we absolutely need low pressure over southern europe for a chance at any sort of sustained cold shot.

UKMOPNH00_144_1.png

GFS and UKMO are solid this morning, ECM needs to drop heights over southern Europe in the coming days if we want a cold spell. The good thing is these charts are showing before any stratosphere warming affect could have filtered down, these are mainly trop led patterns showing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Wind howling again in Dublin this morning. Sense of fatigue and deja vu after at least 5 weeks of such weather. Awful stuff, no frosty mornings, no crisp air or twinkly cold nights. Just this filthy never ending slop.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

The Eagle forecasts torrential rain and damaging wind gusts for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Wind howling again in Dublin this morning. Sense of fatigue and deja vu after at least 5 weeks of such weather. Awful stuff, no frosty mornings, no crisp air or twinkly cold nights. Just this filthy never ending slop.

I don't think December so far has been particularly horrible like November for me but even a frost seems like a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

cyclops999 wrote: »
    The Eagle forecasts torrential rain and damaging wind gusts for Saturday

Yeah saturday could be quite nasty in parts- especially the south. Worth keeping an eye on.

GFSOPUK00_66_1.png

GFSOPUK00_66_9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

GFS is showing something different to other models in this regard - met eireann think the most damaging winds on Saturday will likely be in the North of the country. It shows this clearly on their wind forecast page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Really is the pits. Makes the days even shorter than they already are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think this morning was one of the darkest mornings ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I wasn't expecting that gale at all last night. The wind noise kept me awake too.

Keeping an eye on Saturday, this constant blowy stuff and wet stuff is depressing!
    alentejo wrote: »
    I think this morning was one of the darkest mornings ever!!!

Its still Dark here in Dublin...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hibernation weather for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It's like a colder, darker version of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

My please stop here santa got obliterated during the night.
    I made sure i was out the door before the kids seen it as i new they wouldn't be happy when they seen it broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Really dark these past few days, even at 10am. Can you imagine how dark it would be if we scrapped winter time?

This autumn in the west has been really dark, gloomy and wet.

I guess we will get a dry spell to compensate at some stage. Some good clear blue sky days in January would be a great tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME

Saturday: A deepening area of low pressure is expected to track near Ireland
    on Saturday bringing heavy rain and the potential for a period very strong
    winds. Exact details regarding this weather system remain uncertain so please
    keep up to date with the forecast. Highest temperatures ranging 7 to 10 degrees
    generally but a few degrees colder in north Ulster. The rain and strong winds
    will clear northeastwards into Britain overnight with clear spells and showers
    following. Lowest temperatures 2-5 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well the good news is the sunsets are getting later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well the good news is the sunsets are getting later.

Not for 8 more days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not for 8 more days?

Ha! This is where I get to talk about something I learned a few years ago which surprised me too.

There’s a strange kink in the year where the sunsets are later from the 10th December but because the sunrises are even later the day gets shorter until the 21/22nd. The sunrises keep getting later for about ten days after that, but from the solstice the later sunsets make up fo it and the days get longer.

That feeling that’s it’s really dark in the morning early jan is true.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin

Advertisement