Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciara Kelly on Newstalk isn't grat

• 19-06-2018 1:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭

I think Ciara Kelly was fine to fill in for people here and there. But I don't think she has what's needed to do the High Noon show full time. I remember the first time it hit home, was when I was driving one day when I switched over to Newstalk. When I heard her voice, the first thing I realised was that she was not going to make me laugh.

If it's the case that for most radio discussions, that they're going to be topics that we're pretty sick of hearing, then that all the more reason for a little humour being added. And she simply doesn't do that.

It's almost as if she had a plot the whole time, to oust George.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

How's the world treating you? Mr Hook 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilverPenney

Aside from Kelly herself, the quality of content on newstalk in recent years has gone off a cliff. I used to be an avid listener when driving and at work (Moncrieff, The Right Hook and Lunchtime mainly) but I slowly started to stop bothering, and now may only barely listen if I'm very stuck. Everything seems to have become politicized, only polarising opinions are allowed and even some of the presenters now treat their listeners with sneering condescension. A lot of the topics and the approach to the topics seem slanted in order to garner 'outrage' from the listener (perhaps this is media in general these days), which can be exhausting after a while..........I found myself angry after listening for too long.

As for sport, I mainly stick to podcasts now. Some of the OTB presenters in recent times come across as absolute ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

How's the world treating you? Mr Hook ��

He's right, though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I haven't listened to this channel in years.
    The best talent/shows they had are gone.

Most of the longterm presenters still there are hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

I wasnt aware she was mean to be running a comedy show !!!

seriously, WTF, its a lunchtime current affairs show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... topics seem slanted in order to garner 'outrage' from the listener (perhaps this is media in general these days)

Yup - most media.

~which is why I moved the dial to OFF.

CDs or songs on my phone for best mood management.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

What does 'grat' mean?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pter wrote: »
    What does 'grat' mean?
    It's what hipsters call grated cheese.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think there's a big thread in the radio forum about her

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's what hipsters call grated cheese.

Well then id have to agree with the OP. Ciara Kelly most definitely isnt grated cheese, so far as i can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well then id have to agree with the OP. Ciara Kelly most definitely isnt grated cheese, so far as i can tell.

maybe it could be some sort of euphemism the kids are using these days.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    maybe it could be some sort of euphemism the kids are using these days.

Ew?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Quality of Newstalk's output does seem to have dropped significantly in recent years.

As for Kelly, I think she's better suited to that lunchtime show than Hook was. She's often insightful on certain topics that Hook never was. Though it's not a humorous show, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

She has a very cheesy grin, does that count?
    Though seriously, I do agree with the op, she ain't grat.
    Having said that, the egotistical septuagenarian she replaced was not that grat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Radio <

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement