Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gang Rape in Kildare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dudara wrote: »
    Let’s flip this on its head. What do you say about Jastine from the Philippines who was attacked and murdered by an Irish man?

This whataboutery is fine but there is an important difference. And while it may be perception, in this case it was real. That man was identified and caught. The added fear with foreigners is that you don't know who they are or even if you think you do, they may not be who they say they are. Or that they can just move on with less consequences than for a person who has to leave their life behind. That's a perception and it may be unfair to apply to all people but that does not mean it is not normal or unreasonable.

I had a friend who was in an accident year ago. Driver of the vehicle was a Polish man. Uninsured. In the country a few months. He just left and went home. Guards said there was nothing they could do about it. My friend suffered a lot of injuries. The vehicle was owned by a company which just shut down and the owners started again. Yes, of course an Irish person could theoretically leave the jurisdiction after doing something, but it's not as likely.

Two other recent murders - the fella who was killed in a field in Dundalk and the Polish fella murdered down in Cork. The general feeling is that everyone knows who did the former - it's just difficult to get them to talk. Has there been any indication that there are suspects in the latter?

What you don't know causes more fear than what you do know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Funny, I don’t believe you when you say you’re delighted for me. Pity there are other experiences out there that spoil your narrative.

Are there marauding rape gangs out and about in ireland? I haven’t seen them around lately?? Stop exaggerating. There is need for a good discussion on immigration, but don’t sensationalise it with this claptrap.

Look, violence against women in Ireland is not rare, not at all. I find it (not) funny that some people care so much about violence at the hands of non-nationals, but don’t seem to care when it’s Irish on Irish.

You talk about discussion, but don't believe other peoples opinions,
    are you seriously suggesting i want you to be attacked in a taxi ?
    mmm claptrap indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Most important thing is.

1. The victim gets support
    2. The 3 people guilty are caught ASAP before it happens again. Few too many this year have been the case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

AnneFrank wrote: »
    again i'm delighted for you and hope it continues that way,
    Of course that case was awful, and why does it stick out so much ?
    Because it was rare, not the other way around.

It's rare that women are abducted and killed - yes thankfully you are right.

I have to say, I live near where this girl was raped and I think it is in the public interest to get as much information out as possible. If that means saying the attackers were black then so be it - let's not beat around the bush. if they were black, they were black end of story. Screw this "why do you need to bring race into it" bullshít.

I couldn't care less if they are black, white, muslim, Christian, Irish, Nigerian or fúcking bright green martians - what they are is scum and they need to be caught and locked away for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Great to see that a thread about a sexual assault has turned into a thread on what nationality are the bigger rapers.

It's got to be the US. Nelly, Tupac, Kodak Black 6ix9ine… oh, wait, I thought you said rappers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You talk about discussion, but don't believe other peoples opinions,
    are you seriously suggesting i want you to be attacked in a taxi ?
    mmm claptrap indeed.

Nice misinterpretation there (deliberate or not I don't know).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I had a friend who was in an accident year ago. Driver of the vehicle was a Polish man. Uninsured. In the country a few months.

Damn black Polish taxi drivers.

In all seriousness, I'd actually have no problem fcuking criminals out of this country if they're not abiding by our laws and if it was doable. What I can't take though is people saying ''all of this race need to be profiled'' or ''don't get into a car with members of that race''. That sh*t is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Reports from the last few days of a grey or white van following women in cars, trying to get them to pull over around the same kildare area. Possibly not related of course but people should keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This whataboutery is fine but there is an important difference. And while it may be perception, in this case it was real. That man was identified and caught. The added fear with foreigners is that you don't know who they are or even if you think you do, they may not be who they say they are. Or that they can just move on with less consequences than for a person who has to leave their life behind. That's a perception and it may be unfair to apply to all people but that does not mean it is not normal or unreasonable.

I had a friend who was in an accident year ago. Driver of the vehicle was a Polish man. Uninsured. In the country a few months. He just left and went home. Guards said there was nothing they could do about it. My friend suffered a lot of injuries. The vehicle was owned by a company which just shut down and the owners started again. Yes, of course an Irish person could theoretically leave the jurisdiction after doing something, but it's not as likely.

Two other recent murders - the fella who was killed in a field in Dundalk and the Polish fella murdered down in Cork. The general feeling is that everyone knows who did the former - it's just difficult to get them to talk. Has there been any indication that there are suspects in the latter?

Fair points Donald. However, I think the unknown isn't just limited to non-nationals. For many people in the country, someone in Dublin is just equally unknown to them as a non-national. What matters to me is that the perpetrators are found and punished. I just don't buy this "all Nigerians" or "all muslims" guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I do frequently. Not just black, but Eastern euopean, Hindi, Sikh, Chinese and many other nationalities and ethnicities.

At the end of the day, a rapist is a rapist. It’s all abhorrent.

Let’s flip this on its head. What do you say about Jastine from the Philippines who was attacked and murdered by an Irish man?

He was a pos. I don't think it is disputed and is freely discussed, his life, his family have been dissected in the media.

If these guys are found guilty will the same be true of it.

I personally think there is an undercurrent of contempt that has been let fester because of the unwillingness for any real political discussion about immigration in Ireland that is wholey backed by the media interests.

It is no joke that we are walking blindly into the same hugely negative multicultural situations that England and many other European countries are struggling to deal with. With this short sighted notion that it won't happen here.

This lack of reasonable open discussion by the powers that be has led to a situation were we have a lot of ugly people spreading ugly whispers, that when something does in fact happen. it creates more contempt unfairly directed at whole groups of people. Like has been happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Machetes and “Cork Accents” have been included In at least one newspaper article. That would indicate a certain ethnic group.

Machetes and “Cork Accents” have been included In at least one newspaper article. That would indicate a certain ethnic group.

Pirates?

If that means saying the attackers were black then so be it - let's not beat around the bush. if they were black, they were black end of story. Screw this "why do you need to bring race into it" bullsh

I couldn't care less if they are black, white, muslim, Christian, Irish, Nigerian or fúcking bright green martians - what they are is scum and they need to be caught and locked away for a very long time.

Absolutely. Black is a descriptor. Say it. If they're white, say that. That beating around the bush thing p*sses me off majorly. There's this marvelous concept called the middle ground where you can say things about people that happen to be from other backgrounds while not being a racist scumbag. Magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Pirates?

Well they do travel a lot.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Damn black Polish taxi drivers.

In all seriousness, I'd actually have no problem fcuking criminals out of this country if they're not abiding by our laws and if it was doable. What I can't take though is people saying ''all of this race need to be profiled'' or ''don't get into a car with members of that race''. That sh*t is wrong.

So what would you say to my friend if you met her. Would you feel a big man making a joke to her face that even though the person who knocked her down and could have killed her was identified, caught (initially by neighbours who prevented him from getting back into his van and driving away - which he tried to do after he saw she was lying on the ground and not moving), interviewed by Guards etc. that all he had to do was get on a plane to Poland the next day?

And that the company who owned the van then "folded", claimed they never knew or employed the fella and started up again immediately after folding.

Maybe you'd have been happy to cover her medical bills for her in order to prove you weren't a racist

That was real life, and a life-changing event. Not some petty virtue signaling from behind the safety of a keyboard like you're doing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If he got tick Cork accent I would not get offended. Hell it narrows the search down.

After recent assaults in Limerick that went under the bridge its seems though that the small minority are winning and victims left behind

I do believe that Guards will do everything in their power and will get the scum

Fair points Donald. However, I think the unknown isn't just limited to non-nationals. For many people in the country, someone in Dublin is just equally unknown to them as a non-national. What matters to me is that the perpetrators are found and punished. I just don't buy this "all Nigerians" or "all muslims" guff.

Of course.

Sure nobody even likes the "blow-ins" who come from the next parish :)

Fears of foreigners are just an extension of that.

Whether right or wrong, it needs to be understood and accepted. Then you work on fixing it. Not just driving anyone with those fears to silence for fear of being called racist

That was real life, and a life-changing event. Not some petty virtue signaling from behind the safety of a keyboard like you're doing yourself

It was a joke at the expense of those claiming black taxi drivers are a scary menace, not your friend.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It was a joke at the expense of those claiming black taxi drivers are a scary menace, not your friend.

Sorry, I just feel upset still at what my friend went through

Sorry, I just feel upset still at what my friend went through

I would too if I were you. Sorry if it came off in bad taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

After your antics in the Repeal the 8th thread, it's very hard to take you seriously Anne. I don't think I had ever seen a poster go off the rails like you did. Could this be one of the hard cases you refused to discuss?

Harder for Anne to use a serious incident for no other means than to try and get attention (as is all they were up to in the 8th threads), sure.

So what would you say to my friend if you met her. Would you feel a big man making a joke to her face that even though the person who knocked her down and could have killed her was identified, caught (initially by neighbours who prevented him from getting back into his van and driving away - which he tried to do after he saw she was lying on the ground and not moving), interviewed by Guards etc. that all he had to do was get on a plane to Poland the next day?

And that the company who owned the van then "folded", claimed they never knew or employed the fella and started up again immediately after folding.

Maybe you'd have been happy to cover her medical bills for her in order to prove you weren't a racist

why wasn't he charged though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's got to be the US. Nelly, Tupac, Kodak Black 6ix9ine… oh, wait, I thought you said rappers.

The last one qualifies as both, don't google it in work though - it's absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭MFPM

Yes i'm not arguing with that, but a much higher % are black foreign nationals,
    no woman i know will get into a taxi with a black driver by herself,
    Un pc to say, but it's the reality

You'll have no difficulty in providing us with evidence of that claim so and when you can't I'm sure you'll nave no difficulty in withdrawing your allegation and apologizing for spreading scurrilous racist rumours.

Billy86 wrote: »
    The last one qualifies as both, don't google it in work though - it's absolutely disgusting.

Actually, they all do…

bubblypop wrote: »
    why wasn't he charged though?

I don't know exactly. I get the impression that there was some fuck up by the guards.

It was only a few months later that they called to tell her that the driver wasn't insured and that he had returned to Poland and that there was nothing they could do. I can't remember when she found out that the company had folded. I think anyway that the company had claimed he wasn't an employee, and had just taken the van or borrowed it or something like that.

I don't think they'd charge someone at the scene of an accident. Maybe they would. They might have to get witnesses etc.

I don't know or can't remember all the small technical details. And I was not present when Guards called etc.

All I know is that there was no insurance to claim off and there were some difficulties with claiming off that general fund that's supposed to cover uninsured drivers. I don't know whether she even got anything in the end towards her medical expenses. 4 or 5 years later she still hadn't. I stopped asking her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So when will Louise O Neill and Una Mullaly be tweeting in outrage over this ?

hint - NEVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭MFPM

So when will Louise O Neill and Una Mullaly be tweeting in outrage over this ?

hint - NEVER!

Have they tweeted about incidents such as this previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

bubblypop wrote: »
    What does the nationality of offenders have to do with anything?
    A rapist is a rapist.

The social/Moral standards in some countries are Much lower than ours,
    Remember that some countries where Refugees are coming from have an age of consent as low as Twelve!!!

Or certain areas in India/Pakistan that see women from certain Class levels as Disposable!!

• Advertisement

MFPM wrote: »
    Have they tweeted about incidents such as this previously?

Never miss an opportunity to shoehorn Louise O'Neill and Una Mulally into a thread. Never!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement