Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

debate about Halo 2 and rendering and other stuff

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    I guess it's the same as anything mediocre that gets pushed by advertising and overhyped.

When you see people frothing over it, your indifference turns to annoyance.

Why does absolutely EVERYONE seem to be wasting their time with this mundane rubbish when they could be playing so many other good games instead? Games which may not get the attention they deserve. Sheep! Sheep so they are! etc.

I wouldn't go that far. There are certainly strengths to the Halo games - there's a scene in part three where you're engaged in a massive scale air battle against two scarabs that is one of my most memorable gaming moments. It was, though, the first time I was truly impressed by the series. It's a game of two halves - one is outdoor, ambitious and varied battles involving both on-foot combat and vehicle based warfare. And then you have the Library esque scenes in doors, where all you do is walk forward mowing down repetitive enemy types. Multiplayer strips away that last layer (i.e. the one that holds it back from greatness) and becomes something much purer and more enjoyable. Gleefully, MP also lacks any sort of up its own ass story too :pac:

Perhaps it doesn't deserve its popularity - personally, I'd agree. But alas the games many of us enjoy are never going to appeal to a mainstream audience, it is alas that simple. Very many people are happy to stick with their FIFAs and Call of Duties (a franchise I've grown even more disillusioned with than Halo) and while we can criticise them, it's not really fair because in fairness they don't take and don't want to take games as seriously as we do.. Those of us who prefer to play shmups, fighting games and other obscure Japanese oddities are very much in a minority, and likely always will be. The popular, mainstream glory of the 16-bit era has well passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If your argument boils down to "guys! stop having fun!" you might need to step back and have a good hard look at what terrible choices you have made that have led your life to this point.

Here's a tip - when you leave the beach, remember to get the sand out of your vagina.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't go that far. There are certainly strengths to the Halo games - there's a scene in part three where you're engaged in a massive scale air battle against two scarabs that is one of my most memorable gaming moments. It was, though, the first time I was truly impressed by the series. It's a game of two halves - one is outdoor, ambitious and varied battles involving both on-foot combat and vehicle based warfare. And then you have the Library esque scenes in doors, where all you do is walk forward mowing down repetitive enemy types. Multiplayer strips away that last layer (i.e. the one that holds it back from greatness) and becomes something much purer and more enjoyable. Gleefully, MP also lacks any sort of up its own ass story too :pac:

Perhaps it doesn't deserve its popularity - personally, I'd agree. But alas the games many of us enjoy are never going to appeal to a mainstream audience, it is alas that simple. Very many people are happy to stick with their FIFAs and Call of Duties (a franchise I've grown even more disillusioned with than Halo) and while we can criticise them, it's not really fair because in fairness they don't take and don't want to take games as seriously as we do.. Those of us who prefer to play shmups, fighting games and other obscure Japanese oddities are very much in a minority, and likely always will be. The popular, mainstream glory of the 16-bit era has well passed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily agree with that post I made. I was pointing out how peoples opinions/dislikes of something which isn't necessarily bad (in the case of Halo) can be skewed with oversaturation. Mediocrity & oversaturation = annoyance. Well it is for me anyway. Although, maybe I'm just a bitter old crank :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's a tip - when you leave the beach, remember to get the sand out of your vagina.

Thanks for reminding me of exactly how obnoxious "gamers" can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Do you even read this forum?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Do you even read this forum?

Yes, what makes you think i don't?

Yes, what makes you think i don't?

Because o1s1n is about as far from obnoxious as one can get. Your picking him up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Ah here leave FIFA out of this! :) Sure the yearly releases could be turned into downloadable content instead, but in terms of recreating the beautiful game it is currently without equal.

I reckon if the sport itself didn't exist but the video games of it did, then people who dislike the sport (which is fair enough) might have more time for the games. When you think about the rules of football, it's a pretty good idea for a video game in its own right.

But anyway I don't really care - got a free ticket for the Europa League final tonight! :D

ghostchant wrote: »
    When you think about the rules of football, it's a pretty good idea for a video game in its own right.

Its basically Pong with added flippers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

What's with all the anger on the forum the last few days guys? :(

Anger antidote:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know myself I'm really harsh on FPS games. It's got to be something really special like Half-Life 2 or System Shock 2 before I'd take any notice.

Got to agree that it's a game of two halves as well. It really excels in open areas. The level, cartographer whatever the one on the island in the first game, is one of the best levels ever made and it's a real shame that Bungie never tried to follow it up by focusing on open non linear levels and instead concentrating on linearity. When Halo is in doors reusing corridors over and over which it is too fond of doing it really gets repetitive. As for the flood, they are just terrible. Such a boring enemy to fight. The shortage of Flood in Halo 3 is probably why I enjoyed it so much and it's telling that the level Cortana which is entirely flood is regarded as one of the worst levels ever designed.

I'm also not a fan of the multiplayer. It's fine for what it is but I've been playing simple deathmatch games like Halo for years since Quake and Halo for me is just too slow and limited. I'd actually take Quake 1 over Halo due to it's speed and how many options are open to the player. For console players experiencing this sort of multiplayer was a revelationsince they were ignorant to what was available on other platforms. It's only now that better experiences like the battlefield series are being exported over that people are turning their heads. There is a certain purity to Halo multiplayer but the fact is I've played Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 and for a pure FPS multiplayer experience Halo doesn't come close.

Ah now he's taking the piss.

Because o1s1n is about as far from obnoxious as one can get. Your picking him up wrong.

Not really.
    The constant refrain of "how dare you like that!" runs pretty deep on most forums that self identifying gamers inhabit, and it is obnoxious.
    He might be a lovely guy but that's a shitty view to have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Screw Fifa and Pro Evo. Give me SNES ISS Deluxe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Screw Fifa and Pro Evo. Give me SNES ISS Deluxe :)

Was only playing that the other day again with my brother and it hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped! Sweet spots galore, though a lot better than the FIFA games of its time, which as a franchise has only really come good in the last few years. We ending up playing Sensible Soccer instead. ISS on the PS1 is still as fun as ever though!

Was only playing that the other day again with my brother and it hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped! Sweet spots galore, though a lot better than the FIFA games of its time, which as a genre has only really come good in the last few years. We ending up playing Sensible Soccer instead. ISS on the PS1 is still as fun as ever though!

After-touch that defies the laws of physics is a feature that is sadly missing from FIFA and PES games.

Not really.
    The constant refrain of "how dare you like that!" runs pretty deep on most forums that self identifying gamers inhabit, and it is obnoxious.
    He might be a lovely guy but that's a shitty view to have.

You take things too seriously, that much is clear :) Chill out, have a cup of tea & a blast of Command & Conquer...you'll feel better after it.

I think this thread needs to be nuked. It's hardly retro, it's boring me and having a whole thread due to one obnoxious Halophile is giving them too much credit.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think this thread needs to be nuked. It's hardly retro, it's boring me and having a whole thread due to one obnoxious Halophile is giving them too much credit.

Nuke it from orbit...

Nuke it from orbit...

It is afterall the only way to be sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah here leave FIFA out of this! :) Sure the yearly releases could be turned into downloadable content instead, but in terms of recreating the beautiful game it is currently without equal.

Oh, don't mean to dismiss the qualities of FIFA, even if it's about as interesting to me as brick wall :P It's surely a fine game for those who like it.

What I take issue with is people who only play FIFA and CoD, and there are very many of them about - it just seems like a waste. My brother plays barely anything apart from FIFA, even though the amount of games lying around the house is staggering!

When the PSN was down, I heard a tonne of people complaining that they had to resort to Black Ops singleplayer. That's the attitude that admittedly can frustrate at times. But it's the same way with music, film and literature - stuff will always be popular, and complain about it all we want and nothing will ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Locking this thread, mistakenly thought you bunch could have had a growed up discussion, if I ban one I'd ban all so I suggest everyone drop the topic and the varying degrees of abuse and hate, or we will revisit banning folk, thanks all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Everytime Halo is mentioned things turn into a farce around here. .

So lets leave it another 6 months before we revisit the Halo Series ok?

And now for a distraction...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sniff, I'm the only Halo fan here!
    It's not fair!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement