Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latinised Names.

• 23-04-2011 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I just got my father's baptismal certificate from 1886. My problem is that the names have been latinized by the parish priest who made the original entry. The first Godparents name, who is usually the male, is written as what looks like Jululmo or Julielmo. I have been down the online translator route and the best result I could find told me the language was Dutch!
    This person seems to have been a sibling of my grandmother. Same surname. Haven't heard of this person before. Very interested.
    Has anyone out there got any clue as to what it could be?
    Thank you all in advance
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Could be William. Guillaume in french and I won't even try to spell what it sounds like in Italian. Google it anyway. Back then about 20 pc men were johns and 20 pc williams of some form or other e.g. liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd go with the "William" guess, but you might be denying us some sport: can you scan it for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi Responders, That was brilliant. :) I Googled again and found Gulielmus = William. I already had a William as a brother of my dad's mam.
    I had scanned the entry before coming back here and there you were with the answer. The first stroke of the letter G was missing and I thought it was J. Problem solved. Thank you very much. :D

Hi again. I found this website that is a mine of info on Latinised names. Well worth bookmarking it for research into the use of Latin in the old records.
    http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/latinnames.htm

Enjoy
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi again. I found this website that is a mine of info on Latinised names. Well worth bookmarking it for research into the use of Latin in the old records.
    http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/latinnames.htm

Enjoy
    Joe

It's a pity the priests of Ireland didn't have a copy of that list! They often went outside it. It makes searching by given name into an adventure sport.

How would you like your child to be recorded as "Placentia"?

• Advertisement

Liked this extract from the "Latin Words to Recognise" page.
    "And bear in mind that a great number of clergymen didn't really understand Latin that well either, so they made mistakes. And when in doubt, wrote it in English and make it look like Latin! " :rolleyes:

That's what you are up against! :(

If you want to refer to a really excellent booklet on Latin, look no further than
    "Simple Latin for Family Historians" by Eve McLaughlin.

(No apologies for the blatant plug. She deserves it!) Eve McLaughlin, Varneys, Rudds Lane, Haddenham, Aylesbury, Bucks. HP17 8JP
    E-mail: eve@varneys.demon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thadiisgirl

During the course of my research, I've found a couple more to add to the list.

Militi - assume that is Miles?
    Dimitri/Demetri - no idea other than just 'Dimitri'! :confused:
    Thadium/Thaddium - Thaddeus (my dear old G and GGG-Grandfathers)

Interesting that the last two are most definitely Greek in origin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Dmitri is Greek in origin and very common in Russia and other slavic countries. It doesn't translate to English.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Dimitri/Demetri - no idea other than just 'Dimitri'! :confused:
    Thadium/Thaddium - Thaddeus (my dear old G and GGG-Grandfathers)

Interesting that the last two are most definitely Greek in origin.

Thady was quite common in the South West.
    Dimitri - in an Irish context, possibly used for Dermot?
    P.

Advertisement