Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Good night had a blast, think myself and Ciderman came joint last in the DinoRex tourney:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

pdbhp wrote: »
    Good night had a blast, think myself and Ciderman came joint last in the DinoRex tourney:D

I wasn't certain, but last night I could have sworn I heard a shriek in the far distance. At first I thought I was imagining things, but now I now it was real. That shreik could only have come from...Dinorex :eek:

EnterNow wrote: »
    I wasn't certain, but last night I could have sworn I heard a shriek in the far distance. At first I thought I was imagining things, but now I now it was real. That shreik could only have come from...Dinorex :eek:

Twas us alright we had DinoRex on extremly loud I could still hear it ringing in my ears when I came home

forgat to add earlier that I really need a WonderSwan now. Thanks a bunch Johnny_Ultimate:(

Edit: Is there a difference between WonderSwan Crystal & Colour as in will they play the same games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The difference is the screens, the crystal one has a much better one. And thats It, everything else is broadly the same.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The difference is the screens, the crystal one has a much better one. And thats It, everything else is broadly the same.

Brilliant cos I just seen one for €10 in Japan with €7 postage and some game I couldn't make out

Edit: It's gone but there's another one for same price but its used

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brilliant cos I just seen one for €10 in Japan with €7 postage and some game I couldn't make out

Edit: It's gone but there's another one for same price but its used

Just make sure you don't get a standard Wonderswan instead, they tend to be the ones on Ebay the most. Also, the Beatmania dongle only works on the Colour, boo-urns!

But great night, thanks to retr0 for hosting again and for a place to grab a few hours sleep :) The DinoRex tournament was looking shaky with monkeyfudge's first win over me, but old Shrieky proved reliable, that glorious shriek propelling me through the 'losers' stages and a grand final I wasn't quite sure how I made it into :pac: The key is holding right and mashing attack in the vague hope your biting power will work. But now... to find that wonderful noise as a ringtone. RARRRRR!

I was also deeply impressed how myself and pdhb coped with Ultra mode in Mushimesama, although most of that was down to someone spamming bombs at every opportunity :P Still, we dodged a few waves of hell - I was proud.

I still feel hard done by by whatever that cowboy game was. Shotguns are an unfair advantage!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And that Simpsons game, it reminded me of just how much I hate side scrolling beat em ups!
    Ahh!

Not too sure of the hint of anti semetic opinion just added a certain something different to the evening, hopefully not to be repeated!

I was also deeply impressed how myself and pdhb coped with Ultra mode in Mushimesama, although most of that was down to someone spamming bombs at every opportunity :P Still, we dodged a few waves of hell - I was proud.

I still feel hard done by by whatever that cowboy game was. Shotguns are an unfair advantage!

Well we are bullet hell legends, equalled by none.

Sunset Riders is brilliant and I'm glad I was the overall victor as now I can brag about it and look cool amongst my peers;)

And that Simpsons game, it reminded me of just how much I hate side scrolling beat em ups!
    Ahh!

Not too sure of the hint of anti semetic opinion just added a certain something different to the evening, hopefully not to be repeated!

Well I'm glad I didn't have to play the Simpsons as my "claw hand" was acting up.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what this game is for wonderswan linky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually speaking of Wonderswan games, I was thinking of ordering a copy of the original Gunpey since I only have the EX colour remake, for completionists sake. The guy has three boxed copies of it up, they're just over a tenner each. If your still having trouble with Ebay cidey I can order two of 'em, or if pdbhp is joining the revolution I can pick up the three :)

Linky: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Japanese-Bandai-Wonderswan-Gunpey-Boxed-Handheld-/200496250690?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item2eae81ff42

Actually speaking of Wonderswan games, I was thinking of ordering a copy of the original Gunpey since I only have the EX colour remake, for completionists sake. The guy has three boxed copies of it up, they're just over a tenner each. If your still having trouble with Ebay cidey I can order two of 'em, or if pdbhp is joining the revolution I can pick up the three :)

Linky: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Japanese-Bandai-Wonderswan-Gunpey-Boxed-Handheld-/200496250690?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item2eae81ff42

Damn you I want it and I want it now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

that glorious shriek propelling me through the 'losers' stages and a grand final I wasn't quite sure how I made it into :pac:

Me neither...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks for everyone for turning up and making it a great night. Quote of the night from PDBHP: 'I'm not a nerd'. I'm sorry but turning up last night makes you a nerd by association. Also glad some people have seen goldeneye in it's true light :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also glad some people have seen goldeneye in it's true light :P

Why, did you's play it via an NTSC N64 with RGB? :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Why, did you's play it via an NTSC N64 with RGB? :p

No, retr0 tied us to the couch and made us play it on a PAL n64 via RF, repeatedly shouting "DO YOU SEE?!?!" It was horrific :(

No, retr0 tied us to the couch and made us play it on a PAL n64 via RF, repeatedly shouting "DO YOU SEE?!?!" It was horrific :(

Ah I see, not it's true light then. To do that, you've got to view it in the best possible conditions - rf is not one of them unfortunately. And before you say it Retr0, I'm aware that RGB won't help the slowdown :pac:

Christ, Goldeneye64 & Dinorex...they've become cultish from a beers point of view :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

forgat to add earlier that I really need a WonderSwan now. Thanks a bunch Johnny_Ultimate :(
    I know what I want for my 21st anyway :pac: and this with it

frogs? that's enough, megawant
    Home now, was a good night!
    I'm never playing a match against you in Pokémon again D: at least I got you back in Dinorex, tertiarious victory for TriSeratops!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah I see, not it's true light then. To do that, you've got to view it in the best possible conditions - rf is not one of them unfortunately. And before you say it Retr0, I'm aware that RGB won't help the slowdown :pac:

It was actually in AV but the awful N64 anti-aliasing solution of smearing the screen with vaseline made it look like RF. I actually thought we would get some fun out of it in 4 player (we only got 3 controllers working though) but well everyone thought it sucked and the fact that we got more fun out of dino rex says a lot. I thought it woul have lasted a hell of a lot longer in multiplayer!

• Advertisement

How's about my place for the next one, maybe end of Feb, start of March? Give me a reason to tidy.
    Someone will have to bring a laptop with DinoRex though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,409 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No need, I'm pretty sure you already have it on your Xbox :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

How's about my place for the next one, maybe end of Feb, start of March? Give me a reason to tidy.
    I'm going to try and make this one :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    No need, I'm pretty sure you already have it on your Xbox :p

He does. I'm still haunted by that shriek :mad:

He does. I'm still haunted by that shriek :mad:

Some call it a shriek others call it the wonderful singing of angles :rolleyes:

Can you believe no enterprising soul has put that beautiful shriek up online in handy ringtone form? Like seriously.

On a related note, anyone have any decent recording equipment? You know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Can you believe no enterprising soul has put that beautiful shriek up online in handy ringtone form? Like seriously.

On a related note, anyone have any decent recording equipment? You know what to do!

I'm working on it. Trust me on this.

Sera wrote: »
    I know what I want for my 21st anyway :pac: and this with it

frogs? that's enough, megawant
    I'm never playing a match against you in Pokémon again D: at least I got you back in Dinorex, tertiarious victory for TriSeratops!

Just bought this for my Wonderswan Color, only 7.50 with postage from Japan, now its cart only, but I don't mind!

Think I'll pick up Klonoa as well.

What say ye to beers in my place on the 2nd of April???

• Advertisement

Sounds good!!
    Dinorex tourney:D

Advertisement