Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let's talk about Islam

• 18-06-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Following a debate which became somewhat heated in another thread, one that, I freely concede was perhaps not the appropriate place for such a discussion, I wish for nothing more than to open a thread where those of differing views can express their own opinions without resorting to petty mud-slinging.

I have been quite vocal on my concerns about Islam, and for this, despite me never once judging anyone by the colour of their skin on Boards.ie or in reality, there are those who have called me racist for openly critiquing this ideology, not a race, an ideology.

So, why then is Islam deserving of my concerns?

HOMOPHOBIA

According to a number of reputable polls, the majority of British Muslims would like homosexuality to be criminalised.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/11/europe/britain-muslims-survey/index.html

Whilst you can't force people what to think, I still believe it's deserving of debate as to why the majority of Muslims in the UK would harbour such prejudices. It wasn't so long ago that homosexual acts were illegal in this country, 1993 in fact, yet now we are the first country in the world to legalise same sex marriage. Of this I'm incredibly proud, but we didn't get to this place by pretending homophobia did not exist in the Catholic Church.

The majority of Irish Catholics now fully support equal rights for the LGTB community whilst still valuing their faith, but again, we did not get to this by first pretending homophobia did not exist.

For wishing to discuss this facet of Islamic beliefs, I was previously accused of being disingenuous;
    We've seen through you. I find it funny you guys give a **** about gay people. We know you don't you give too ****s about gay people and homophobia.
    Transparent.

I don't expect anyone to take me on face value, we are all anonymous here after all, but I've been involved in various campaigns for the LGTB community for over a decade. Three years ago, I called door to door around a great many housing estates in the rain and cold, promoting a yes vote for the SSM referendum. That I could now be accused of not caring is somewhat upsetting, but more than that, it's troubling. Troubling that in an attempt to stifle debate, a poster could make such a baseless accusation which the entirety of my post history clearly indicates is untrue.

Do I believe all Muslims are homophobic? Most definitely not, as the polls suggest, a great many are not, but I believe an even greater number might be educated as to the importance of equality if we only debate the topic.

SEXUAL ABUSE AND THE ATTITUDES TOWARD WOMEN.

According to the available census data from the UK (2011) Muslim men account for approximately 2.2% of the overall population.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion

Yet according to available data from the UK's Ministry of Justice, 12% of all convicted rapists serving time during the year 2014 were Muslim.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/324097/number-males-rape-muslim.doc

When it comes to grooming gangs the statistics are even more damning, with 75% of all convicted groomers coming from this same 2.2% sector of society.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/what-do-we-know-about-the-ethnicity-of-sexual-abuse-gangs

Do I believe all Muslims are rapists? Absolutely not, of the UK's approximately 1,330,000 adult male Muslims, the vast, vast majority have never been sexually abusive, yet why they are demonstrably four times more likely to commit abuse than other members of society needs further discussion in a level headed manner.

I don't for one moment believe Muslim attitudes toward women are incapable of improving to what one could consider "Western Ideals", but it will not happen if we continue to pretend an issue does not exist.
    Snakes obvious anti Muslim agenda is pretty abhorrent and no matter what anyone says he will continue to bang his racism drum.

It is all too easy to cry racism in these discussions, and I do appreciate it is a highly emotive issue, but if racism and bigotry truly was the underpinning of all those who are critical of Islam, then it must be said, threads critical of Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Taoism, and Shintoism are conspicuous by their absence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

In any case islam is a disastrous set of ideas which has brought nothing good to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

What do you want to achieve by this thread? Nobody is going to condone homophobia or violence against women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Can I create the "all religion is evil give me thanks" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The problem is though; people aren't criticising Islam or the teachings they're bashing Muslims themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

857272.jpg?b64lines=IFdFJ1ZFIEdPVCBUTyBETyBUSEUgSVNMQU0gClRIUkVBRCBBR0FJTiwgQUgu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, we've had vegans and travellers last week, I guess it's time for Muslims again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

AfterLife wrote: »
    What do you want to achieve by this thread? Nobody is going to condone homophobia or violence against women.

I think he wants to get a big hate based hard on.

There's fcuking loads of threads about islam already. It's just that some people are fcuking obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Come on, we have a million AH threads on Islam. We're not having another one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement