Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Is it about two irregular bodies put together that just don't fit.

;)

Love your interpretation Fix. Really got it wrong so or maybe it’s inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Reminds me of that cartoon figure, think it was called MOOMINPAPPA, he was a blob shaped figure with a big silly voice, probably not how golf Ireland see themselves but maybe strangely appropriate??

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Huge amount of energy focused on a logo and what it looks like.

Lets look at the end goal, 2 really great golf bodies, combining into one governing body to enable golf in Ireland to grow to new levels.
    incorporating both into one is something thats worked very well across many countries, ive seen it first hand.
    We are very lucky in Ireland to have the people we have leading this from GUI/ILGU and to see all anyone is worried about is a logo says it all about 2020 Ireland.

Its not a brand that needs to be marketed or sold (failte Ireland look after that), its a governing body that has a focus locally around golf in Ireland. The Logo might be crap (i like it tbh), but really does it matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Lets look at the end goal, 2 really great golf bodies, combining into one governing body to enable golf in Ireland to grow to new levels.
    incorporating both into one is something thats worked very well across many countries, ive seen it first hand.
    We are very lucky in Ireland to have the people we have leading this from GUI/ILGU and to see all anyone is worried about is a logo says it all about 2020 Ireland.

Its not a brand that needs to be marketed or sold (failte Ireland look after that), its a governing body that has a focus locally around golf in Ireland. The Logo might be crap (i like it tbh), but really does it matter.

Agreed, The GUI have been a great development body and custodian of golf in Ireland for a long time.. I have also seen it first hand and the work they do and have done for a long time is stellar and just look at the success of the amateur and professional game in this country as examples of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have they set out their goals and what they like accomplish over a short and long period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is that not taking things a bit too serious ? "2020 Ireland" :)

Loads of threads here have detailed and explained the GUI and any sensible golfer understands the importance and contribution they have made.

It is such a significant and important move - people will be interested in what comes out.

Yes - very easy to be a hurler on the ditch and golf is run by extraordinary people all doing things in their own time predominately voluntarily.

So point made.

Does this log replace the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golfing_Union_of_Ireland#/media/File:Gui_Logo_Web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I'm not being critical of the GUI, ILGU or Golf Ireland (which I think is a great step forward for the game by the way) but the logo is uninspiring that's all.

Wonder what the status of male only clubs will be in this new organisation ? Being a male female union.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are there still male only clubs in Ireland? There really shouldn't be anymore, so hopefully it kills them off (and by that, i mean forces them to change).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kiith wrote: »
    Are there still male only clubs in Ireland? There really shouldn't be anymore, so hopefully it kills them off (and by that, i mean forces them to change).

It's their club, let them run it whatever way they want.

If the ladies want a female only club, more power to them. They'll receive no complaints from me for choosing to run their club the way the want to

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    It's their club, let them run it whatever way they want.

If the ladies want a female only club, more power to them. They'll receive no complaints from me for choosing to run their club the way the want to

All great in theory.

But in reality , a good chance to get them out of union. And as well documented here, no harm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i guess so. Golf is in a pretty sorry state at the moment though, and old school thinking like that certainly doesn't help.

Look I think this is a great opportunity to get rid of the few old clubs - who wanted all the advantage - but offered nothing in return.

I know there will be all the old supporters and posters to ridicule that opinion.

But - tough, time for you to go - I do not want to see you at any other club.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

As part of the transition process it was outlined that all current clubs who are current members of the GUI and ILGU will automatically move into Golf Ireland.

Personally, I beleive it would be disappointing in future if some type of minimum equality requirement was not introduced though as part of the affiliation requirements to Golf Ireland.

Advertisement