Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide The Greatest Music Album Of All-Time

• 12-02-2020 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Greetings travellers,

So I have this idea:

People send me their top 10 favourite albums of all-time via PM in numbered order of preference. Then, with a scoring system ( 10 points for number 1, 9 points for number 9, down to 1 point for number 10 etc.) I will add up the totals and run a countdown of the top 50/100 albums of all-time here on boards according to its members.

Alternately, I could run a tournament, but I don't think that would work at all? Let me know what you think.

So if you're on-board, PM me your choice of favourite album of all-time or a number of your favourite albums of all-time (top 2, top 3, top 4, top 10-it doesn't matter)-just make sure it's no more than 10 and in numbered order of preference.

You can also provide reasons for your choices and I will include all or some of those commentaries in the countdown, along with a video of a song from the album, its placings and points total, a list of members who chose it, its chart peak etc.

I know it's quite hard to decide favourites but it's worth a go, and if all goes to plan, I will do a countdown of the top 50/100 someday in the very distant future. I intend on starting a thread in the music forum too, and maybe even After Hours, in order to notify people and get more on board as we have quite a small group here on FG.

I will leave sign-ups open for a quite a while so no rush and we'll see how it goes...if it doesn't work, it just means less work for me.:)

Remember send me a private message with your top 10 of all-time in numbered order, or alternately, just your favourite album or your top 3 etc.

Oh, and no Greatest Hits Albums allowed! I'm looking at you, Alan Partridge.

Everything else is fair game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

No prizes on offer?? boo...

• Ooh I like this idea more than a tournament. Not sure any of mine will make anyone else's list but that's because I'm right and everyone else is just a filthy philistine. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Done. Hope I back a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Done. Was tough narrowing it down to 10 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sent mine, came up with ten surprisingly easily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I'm going to need a lot of contributions for a countdown so get working on it forum games regulars! So far, there is a winner and about 50 joint second places. That's not gonna do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Entry sent there now.

8 submissions so far and we have a clear 1-2. Reveal won't be for a few months at least-maybe even a few years at this rate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

In...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I will get a list to you in the next few days. Need to think about a few more albums

• Advertisement

We've got a 1,2,3 now. All I need is about 100 more submissions for a top 50 countdown.:D

Participation is appreciated. I might even throw a prize in for the person who picks the highest placers on average! But I probably won't bother my arse.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Need to have a proper think about this, but I'll definitely get a list to you in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

OK, I had a look through my CD collection and have it narrowed down to 19... I think

No idea how to trim it further, let alone rank them

And then should it be tactical? Should I drop albums I'm almost certain no one else will pick in favour of adding points to better known ones that I may not love as much personally, but would be happy to see win...?

Reberetta wrote: »
    Oh, and no Greatest Hits Albums allowed!
    Do live albums fall under the greatest hits banner?
    I can think of one, very obvious, example...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'll compile a list soon for you.

Do live albums fall under the greatest hits banner?

Live albums are ok.
    OK, I had a look through my CD collection and have it narrowed down to 19... I think

No idea how to trim it further, let alone rank them

And then should it be tactical? Should I drop albums I'm almost certain no one else will pick in favour of adding points to better known ones that I may not love as much personally, but would be happy to see win...?

It shouldn't be tactical. If you really can't separate them you can give me two top ten lists. I'll make an exception for you.

OK, I've got ten in!

I suspect it would be a completely different list if I tried again tomorrow :p

Just hoping a couple get mentioned by someone else too (one definitely will, hopefully it's not only that one)

Why are greatest hits albums are not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

sKeith wrote: »

Because it's cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Has an unfair advantage over studio albums I guess in the tracks they contain.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Has an unfair advantage over studio albums I guess in the tracks they contain.

Very unfair...

512916.jpg

But, as you seem to recognize, The Greatest Music Album Of All-Time is most likely a greatest hits album, and this competition is ignoring all those great albums.
    Maybe the competition should be renamed, as this is not the greatest music album of all time competition but instead its the greatest studio album of all time competition.

Boardsies Decide The Greatest Music Album Of All-Time (not including Greatest Hits)? :)

Submissions coming in all the time so consider participating anyone reading this message.

This was always going to be a slow burner. Reveal is scheduled for August.

August 2025. ;)

Submissions still coming in, don't forget to participate and name your faves.

Still taking submissions so have a go now you can't leave the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

oops! :o think i have 2 in mine

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Forgot about this, must put together my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

sent my entry in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I just sent you my list Reberetta, thank you for organising this!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

PM sent.

Advertisement