Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

I can't understand 5 shots back in a year, we had 2 shots and that was thought to be too much so we reduced it to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hopefully you will only be able to affect your handicap in competition play in Ireland at least. Make the bandits spend money for their increase instead of clocking up all their shots back with casual rounds

Also hopefully that the slope of our golf courses will be affected by the weather we receive. I.e. a 7000 yard course in Ireland should have a much more difficult slope rating than a 7000 yard course in Texas by virtue of the weather we play in every day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

If it only comes into effect on Nov 2, 2020 that will be a time of non-qualifying golf for most clubs as we know it. Will it be the case that a handicap can be cut/increased all year round now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

There is a lot of questions that need to be answered, I don't think a date should have been given without some sort of accompanying information for Ireland and the UK in particular.

If they know when they can implement it they know what they want to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Golf in Ireland & Britain is played completely differently than the US for example. They pretty much play casual golf only and enter their scores on an App which tracks and adjusts their HC.

And as we all know the way they play with gimmies etc. which is why their HC's are a nonsense. We need to see some details but I'm holding out some hope as the R&A and the GUI have been very proactive in reducing the banditry over here and can't see them allowing someone increase their HC by 5 shots in a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

About handicap building, i would assume there is going to be some memory system built in.

e.g. a long time 4-6 handicapper who shot maybe a +1 and a few +2s last season but is practicing less and is averaging +9 (best 8 of last 20) this season, system could apply a lower multiplier to someone who broke SSS by a certain number of shots. Something similar to a clause 19/ESR type rule we currently have.

So instead of handicap going to 9, it may go out to 7.

• Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Calculators to become standard equipment in all golf bags with this new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I cant wait, maybe I will finally win a Captains Prize :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

etxp wrote: »
    I cant wait, maybe I will finally win a Captains Prize :P

Except everyone in your club will be thinking the same thing and will also be turning in rubbish scores in the run up to it themselves too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Golf in Ireland & Britain is played completely differently than the US for example. They pretty much play casual golf only and enter their scores on an App which tracks and adjusts their HC.

And as we all know the way they play with gimmies etc. which is why their HC's are a nonsense. We need to see some details but I'm holding out some hope as the R&A and the GUI have been very proactive in reducing the banditry over here and can't see them allowing someone increase their HC by 5 shots in a season.

Agree that handicaps in the US are a joke but people there play with far lower handicaps than they should - its about ego, not winning competitions.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Except everyone in your club will be thinking the same thing and will also be turning in rubbish scores in the run up to it themselves too.

Ah I'm only joking. I go out to try and beat my personal best each round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

gypsy79 wrote: »

That map of the world handicap systems is a real eye opener. CONGU is actually quite small. The EGA and USGA are pretty dominant on the world stage. Maybe that's why we have been lumbered with the 5 shots back in one year. CONGU just didn't have the clout in the negotiations.

If I'm reading it right, this is how a simple 8/20 would work for me

Working out my handicap over my last 20 rounds, me best 8 cards are :: +11, +10, +9, +10, +7, +6, +5 and +1. This gives me an average of 7.375(7.4) which is 7.

The next round I play, I'm going to lose the +5. So in order to stay off 7, I'll need to shoot +6 or better. If I don't beat +11, my total will be 65 as I have another +11 round to sub in and my new exact will be 8.125.

The good news is, that for the next 6 rounds I'm free Wheeling as none of those rounds are counting in my calculation and I have 6 opportunities to get cut. The bad news is, if I play badly through to round 9, I'll lose the +1 and my new handicap will be around 10.5 lol

That of course doesn't factor in slope and other such things, but for people genuinely trying to be their best, it's not bad at all. But for bandits its amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Crazy, isn't it Rik?

Wait until someone who's normally off 2 goes up to 7 HC and wins a club major....there'll be murder 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Rikand wrote: »
    If I'm reading it right, this is how a simple 8/20 would work for me

Working out my handicap over my last 20 rounds, me best 8 cards are :: +11, +10, +9, +10, +7, +6, +5 and +1. This gives me an average of 7.375(7.4) which is 7.

The next round I play, I'm going to lose the +5. So in order to stay off 7, I'll need to shoot +6 or better. If I don't beat +11, my total will be 65 as I have another +11 round to sub in and my new exact will be 8.125.

The good news is, that for the next 6 rounds I'm free Wheeling as none of those rounds are counting in my calculation and I have 6 opportunities to get cut. The bad news is, if I play badly through to round 9, I'll lose the +1 and my new handicap will be around 10.5 lol

That of course doesn't factor in slope and other such things, but for people genuinely trying to be their best, it's not bad at all. But for bandits its amazing!

Think there is a multiplier as well. .9 something

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is it not the case that the handicap committee in each club still effectively will have the final say in determining handicaps. So, if someone is obviously 'acting the bollix' with the scores they are returning, the handicap committee can overrule the automated determination.
    What's the problem?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Is it not the case that the handicap committee in each club still effectively will have the final say in determining handicaps. So, if someone is obviously 'acting the bollix' with the scores they are returning, the handicap committee can overrule the automated determination.
    What's the problem?

It could leave the poor handicap sec open to accusations .... " Are you trying to tell me I'm not being genuine ? "

Rikand wrote: »
    It could leave the poor handicap sec open to accusations .... " Are you trying to tell me I'm not being genuine ? "

not to mention a whole load of work in managing that for an entire club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Does anyone actually know how to calculate the new handicap system - Its hard to find it...

Ive my 20 scores ready to go and my best 8

gypsy79 wrote: »

much better than what we've seen but still doesnt provide detail on what the new system is and how it will be applied practically to us golfers here and how the various competitions will work.

There are so many variations in how each system works it will be interesting to see what model they come up with

Is it 20 last scores from this year or total? how does a NR work? I presume It isn't counted in the 20 scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

etxp wrote: »
    Is it 20 last scores from this year or total? how does a NR work? I presume It isn't counted in the 20 scores.

NR = bring score to a net double bogey for handicap purposes.... ie clause 19 adjustment

A NR shouldn't make it into your best 8 rounds.
    If u don't have 20 rounds then less rounds go to make up your Handicap index.

Your Handicap Index is your best 8 rounds averaged out then multiply by .96.

To do it right you have to have the course rating and slope rating to get your 8 best rounds as they might not be your 8 lowest scores.
    Score - course rating × 113÷ slope rating.
    80 - 72 × 113 ÷ 135 = 6.7 differential for that round.
    80 - 72 × 113 ÷ 125 = 7.2 differential for that round.

That gives you a handicap differential and it's the lowest 8 of those u use.

Say u had a 80 on a tough course and 75 on a easy course it maybe the 80 that makes it into your best 8.
    The slope and course rating are needed to do the calculation.
    All makes perfect sense.

jtown wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know how to calculate the new handicap system - Its hard to find it...

Ive my 20 scores ready to go and my best 8

You could work it from gross scores. But for handiness take your current handicap and say its 10 if one of your 8 best was 34 points then add 2 to your handicap (2 + 10 = 12). If you had 40 points subtract 4. (10 - 4 = 6) Do that for all 8 scores. Add them up and divide by 8.

You could work it from gross scores. But for handiness take your current handicap and say its 10 if one of your 8 best was 34 points then add 2 to your handicap (2 + 10 = 12). If you had 40 points subtract 4. (10 - 4 = 6) Do that for all 8 scores. Add them up and divide by 8.

Not really if 2 golfers play a par 72 course and they both have shot say 8 rounds of 80. They could have very different handicaps depending on the difficulty of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Jaybus lads, my head is melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I assume that a computer system will churn out the handicap adjustments but what I don't understand is how are 'recreational' rounds going to get into the system to be included in the calculation of handicaps?
    Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I assume that a computer system will churn out the handicap adjustments but what I don't understand is how are 'recreational' rounds going to get into the system to be included in the calculation of handicaps?
    Am I missing something?

You will need to sign in before the round to count. Same as comp.

Advertisement