Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exactly like riding a bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

upthe19th wrote: »
    Recovery week from the flu and a chest infection. Course of antibiotics finished.

Saturday 01st March
    A change of scenery was great. Headed out for a bit of a spin with nilhg (thanks man) and did a bit extra on my own. Delighted to be back out on the bike. Felt reasonably fresh but the lack of training is highlighted when I push on a bit.

Distance: 51.6km
    Av speed: 24.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 381m

I have my own theory that cyclists get sick more often than the general population with one of the main reasons that cycling is quite a fatiguing sport. Throw in work/study/family commitments and it can leave you drained whether you realise it or not. It's important to know when to take a break and also to replace all the calories your burning. Carbs (spuds, rice, cereal, fruit) after training are especially important and for the rest of the time focus on proteins and fats (eggs, meat, oily fish). Here was a recommendation I got from a nutritionist recently:

"Apart from a following a healthy diet, some general vitamin and mineral supplements can significantly improve health. Athletes need more than the RDA’s. Modern farming has reduced nutrient contents of foods.
    - MultiVit - Normal Strength (general health): Quest , Solgar Earth Source Nutrients, Natures Aid, Lamberts, Life Extension
    - Fish Oil (protects muscles& joints, helps heart & brain): Natures Aid/Lamberts or Aliment
    - Vit D3 – new but excellent research, v useful for athletes (increases energy levels, reduces stress, improves mood, controls insulin, boosts immunity): Solgar VitD3 1000IU or NATURES ANSWER D3 OIL Note: not required if getting >30mins of direct sunlight per day
    - Protein: Best ones are with Natural Whey/No sweetners: see www.pulsin.co.uk

I haven't started on anything yet but will probably get some fish oil when I get home and some protein from Pulsin to throw in recovery drinks. I won't be going mad though. Was on Vit D3 during the winter as the smog was so bad and I was indoors 95% of the time so I had no exposure to the sun. Might be worth considering in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

http://youtu.be/wQncKmddahk

Arts Cyclery do great videos for bike repairs. I've built and repaired my own bikes/wheels (occasional trip to LBS thrown in as well) the last few years and these guys make the process much easier. I've written out the instructions for RD adjustment and will edit this post shortly to include. Haven't come across too many farmer cyclists apart from a fella I met in Broadford last year. In fairness, it must be one of the busiest jobs going but also one of the most rewarding (maybe not financially). Used always love watching Ear to the Ground and marvel at the really innovative farmers who went fully organic or just became really efficient. I remember this one farmer who grew organic oats and has his own brand of porridge and a big restaurant in New York is one of his main clients. Nice to hear a success story like this. What do you farm?
    I have my own theory that cyclists get sick more often than the general population with one of the main reasons that cycling is quite a fatiguing sport. Throw in work/study/family commitments and it can leave you drained whether you realise it or not. It's important to know when to take a break and also to replace all the calories your burning. Carbs (spuds, rice, cereal, fruit) after training are especially important and for the rest of the time focus on proteins and fats (eggs, meat, oily fish). Here was a recommendation I got from a nutritionist recently:

"Apart from a following a healthy diet, some general vitamin and mineral supplements can significantly improve health. Athletes need more than the RDA’s. Modern farming has reduced nutrient contents of foods.
    - MultiVit - Normal Strength (general health): Quest , Solgar Earth Source Nutrients, Natures Aid, Lamberts, Life Extension
    - Fish Oil (protects muscles& joints, helps heart & brain): Natures Aid/Lamberts or Aliment
    - Vit D3 – new but excellent research, v useful for athletes (increases energy levels, reduces stress, improves mood, controls insulin, boosts immunity): Solgar VitD3 1000IU or NATURES ANSWER D3 OIL Note: not required if getting >30mins of direct sunlight per day
    - Protein: Best ones are with Natural Whey/No sweetners: see www.pulsin.co.uk

I haven't started on anything yet but will probably get some fish oil when I get home and some protein from Pulsin to throw in recovery drinks. I won't be going mad though. Was on Vit D3 during the winter as the smog was so bad and I was indoors 95% of the time so I had no exposure to the sun. Might be worth considering in the future.

Thanks for the repair link and the dietary info. Very helpful and much appreciated. Still very inexperienced cyclist, so all help is very welcome.

I'm a part-time farmer at best, have a full-time job as well. My dad is still full-time farming. We have a tillage farm. We've grown many things over the years, sugar beet, potatoes, oats, wheat, barley and oil seed rape.

Very much an advocate for innovation, it's what secures the future of farming or any business for that matter. Even more important, I think though, is the bottom line. By that I mean it's all very well taking on new things but you've got to be smart. Everything you invest in needs a purpose, needs to add value and needs to work for you. The days of putting in savage hours and hoping for a return are no more. You need a return on investment, whether it be a new product or a new tractor. You've got to break it all down and do the maths. This is probably true of all businesses. Sometimes the start up costs mean you may only break even or worse. I don't think you have to move completely away from what you are doing, you have a platform already so use it. Of course this is only my very humble opinion.

Spoken like a true business man which is what farming has become I suppose.

Spoken like a true business man which is what farming has become I suppose.[/QUOTE

You are very right though. It is rewarding. Its a lifestyle and that is also very important. A lot of satisfaction to be had at the end of the day.

Not too bad this week. Finished up sowing, so that was great. Long days and late nights but managed some training as well. Time is flying by. League races are on the horizon. Body weight hit a new low of 13st flat, 3 lbs under my target weight, but it fluctuates a bit, so hopefully I can keep it this low and more consistent.

Tuesday 15th April
    Fartlek session. Modest at best. I was on the late night shift farm-wise. Got it done before it.

Distance: 34.9km
    Av speed: 27.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 232m

Wednesday 16th April
    Fartlek Session again, similar situation to the previous day, little bit quicker.

Distance: 29.4km
    Av speed: 28.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 268m

Saturday 19th April
    Hill climbing session with the club and a bit more. Seriously tough day in the hills, almost 7 hrs. Good work done though. Reducing my body weight has helped a lot. No issues with cramping or energy. Got a nice bit of sunburn on the legs which I had not planned on, not that I'm complaining too much, well apart from when the hot shower hit it.

Distance: 162.4km
    Av speed: 24.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 2169m

Sunday 20th April
    Recovery spin, slow and steady. Legs were fried from previous day but this spin did a great job of flushing them out.

Distance: 34.7km
    Av speed: 24.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 311m

• Advertisement

Not a bad week again. I was out on Sunday night at a gig which I thought was going to be a heavy session beer-wise and I had 3 pints beer and 3 pints of water. The old me, who resides now in a very small room at the back of my brain, was disgusted. It felt like I had done more cos I was wrecked by friday. Next week I am resting more. I'm marshalling one night and had planned to race in the league but I've knocked that on the head. Signed up the Frank O' Rourke next sunday so I think I will gain more from rest/recovery than I will lose from not training as much.

Tuesday 22nd April
    Handy enough spin.

Distance: 38.2km
    Elevation Gain: 305m

Wednesday 23rd April
    Tough morning and an emotional one for my wife and I. Some family news means we have some challenges ahead but nothing we can't deal with.

Had my first league race later that evening and I was ready to burn off some steam. Unfortunately I punctured and that was that. Felt good though and not nearly as under pressure. It would have been interesting to see how later laps went but it was still a great buzz and also a great confidence booster. I am definitely stronger than I was a couple of months ago.

Distance: 10.0km
    Av speed: 37.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 14m

Thursday 24th April
    Plenty of fire in the legs after previous day. I did this route about 5 weeks ago on paddy's day at about 29.5km/hr. I hoped to maybe up the average speed by 0.2 or 0.3. Found I was going better than expected and pushed on. As I neared the end I could see that 31km/hr was possible, so I floored it. Was delighted and, when I adjusted, it gave 100km in under 3hrs 15mins. Big jump from the last time.

Distance: 102.8km
    Av speed: 31.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 586m

Friday 25th April
    I was wrecked before and after this recovery spin. Did not think I'd had a heavy week distance wise. A quick look at strava showed me that in the previous 7 days I had done just over 400km. Not a lot by some people's standards, but the most that I have ever done in that space of time.

Distance: 48.5km
    Av speed: 24.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 425m

Saturday 26th April
    This was a bad idea. Nothing in the legs. Got soaked. Shattered for the rest of the day. Plenty of foam rolling on the legs and an early night.

Distance: 31.0km
    Av speed: 23.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 316m

Sunday 27th April
    Club cycle. Legs were much better today but rest is still on the cards for the next week.

Distance: 45.1km
    Av speed: 26.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 318m

Hope the bad news isn't that bad. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say.

400km is a lot by anyone's standard in 7 days if you ask me so maybe time to back it off and super compensate. That's a period of less bike time and more rest (not lazing about and eating all around you mind) which allows your body to physically adapt to the training and extra load your placing on it. It is during this period that your fitness improves. Plenty of sleep as well will help a lot although that might be hard in your line of work.

You seem to be flying it. Keep up the good work. Great diary and a very clear format, must copy it (the structure) if you don't mind. Alls that's missing is a few pics of your spins. ;)

Hope the bad news isn't that bad. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say.

400km is a lot by anyone's standard in 7 days if you ask me so maybe time to back it off and super compensate. That's a period of less bike time and more rest (not lazing about and eating all around you mind) which allows your body to physically adapt to the training and extra load your placing on it. It is during this period that your fitness improves. Plenty of sleep as well will help a lot although that might be hard in your line of work.

You seem to be flying it. Keep up the good work. Great diary and a very clear format, must copy it (the structure) if you don't mind. Alls that's missing is a few pics of your spins. ;)

The news is not bad as such, but it is life changing, to what degree we are not sure yet. We had our suspicions. But you know yourself when something is confirmed its a whole different matter. But you are spot on.....it will make us stronger.

Thanks for confirming the resting option. Nice to get info from someone more-in-the-know. I've started an iron supplement and will continue with the zinc and magnesium that I have been taking for a while. I seem to suffer a good bit from low iron with hard training.

Glad to hear the format is ok. Wasn't sure how to approach it but its easier for me to look back on, so I suppose that's the main thing. Well that and the fact that I'm not very technical when it comes to cycling training.

No problem copying the structure but if you copy the content you will regress I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The advice about magnesium supplements which you gave me a while ago, but I only heeded recently, seems to be paying off in our house too. We've been having much better sleeps since, which of course allows better training and living. Hopefully it's not just coincident with Easter holidays but the next couple of days will tell.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    The advice about magnesium supplements which you gave me a while ago, but I only heeded recently, seems to be paying off in our house too. We've been having much better sleeps since, which of course allows better training and living. Hopefully it's not just coincident with Easter holidays but the next couple of days will tell.

Good stuff C. Glad to hear that. I find the zinc and magnesium great. I really do sleep like a log on it. It has been reported at times to promote more vivid dreams but I don't remember dreams usually. Taken one hour before bed on an empty stomach......give this stuff a serious run for it money:D

tedstee0082_kelly_1.jpg

• Advertisement

Very, very light week. Stuck to the plan of rest and got a sports massage as well. Have to say I still felt very tired but I'm sure the rest was needed. Wondering if I took it too handy cos the legs were very heavy. Work was extra busy. Continued with Iron supplement. Watched what I ate all week and no increase in body weight. It's staying steady at 13st 6lbs. Need to get it down a bit more and keep it there.

Thursday 1st May
    Sports massage. Needed it.

Friday 2nd May
    Quick spin to see how things were. Felt reasonably fresh but not as much as I thought I would have been.

Distance: 11.4km
    Av speed: 28.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 83m

Saturday 3rd May
    Nice slow spin to get the legs flushed before the rain.

Distance: 22.6km
    Av speed: 21.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 170m

Sunday 4th May
    Headed down for the Frank O'Rourke race. Quick warm up. Legs did feel a bit out of sorts and lazy but nothing major. Did not learn from previous lessons and was close to the back again. First lap was fine but the legs were heavy. Then things went downhill fast. It was a very strange feeling. Legs just filled up and died. No cramps but they felt "blocked" if that makes any sense. Maybe I had taken it too easy during the week. Plenty of crashes today. Ambulance guys were kept busy. Hope that all involved recover well and bike damage is minor. Good event by wexford wheelers. Met Couerdelion very briefly after the race. I really was surprised that I recognised him so easily from strava pic, I never usually recognise anybody at races, even people I know well.

Managed to stay with the group for longer than last open race but still not great. I really am a good way off. Not sure that I am progressing as I should be compared to other guys I know. I know everyone's different but maybe it's a simple case of "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" when it comes to my cycling ability. Still love it though and that's the main thing and I ain't giving up.

Distance: 33.3km
    Av speed: 32.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 277m

And it's not at all unreasonable to expect yourself to be closer to the front of the pack of experienced racers in only your second race? Give yourself a break lad - it's not just about fitness and strength, its about tactics. You can't learn them overnight and once you're working to stay on you're up against it. You also can't expect yourself to be race-ready in the second race of your first year racing, when most of the other guys are at it years.

If you want to improve quicker and be ready for racing make sure you train according to how you think the race will pan out. So for example, if the race has a defining hill in it which usually causes a split then find a hill and do some efforts that replicate race intensity on it. For example, you could power up the hill and once you get to the top keep driving on for 500m. You could mix it up and soft pedal to the top before exploding outta the blocks or you could pick a point on the hill where you say "that's the point I'm going to try and make a break". Make it interesting and challenge yourself instead of saying "today I had an average speed of x, therefore I'm improving".

This guy from crankpunk tells the story of a fictional race well, one that you could apply to training:

100km event.

10 mins pre warm-up

5 minute high intensity (Perceived Rate of Exertion [PRE] 8-10) powering after break attempts, staying more or less in top of bunch following wheels

1 minute break (5-6) coasting in peloton

20 minute high intensity (7.5-9) hard riding near front, covering breaks, in wind from time to time

5 minute break (6) coasting in pack, gathering breath, maybe a break has gone up the road

5 minute very high intensity (9-9.5) bridging to break

1 hour 20 medium intensity (6.5-8.5) sitting in break, doing work at front, resting at back

10 minutes high intensity (7-9) covering attacks, following wheels

3 minutes super high intensity (9-10) breaking clear in last 4km.

1 minute super slow, high intensity despondency (-58) got caught with 2km to go and wept like a child, whilst pedaling backwards

And it's not at all unreasonable to expect yourself to be closer to the front of the pack of experienced racers in only your second race? Give yourself a break lad - it's not just about fitness and strength, its about tactics. You can't learn them overnight and once you're working to stay on you're up against it. You also can't expect yourself to be race-ready in the second race of your first year racing, when most of the other guys are at it years.

All fair and valid points C, thanks. Of course I should not, and would not, presume to be able to keep with guys who have years of hard training done as if it could be done overnight. I guess there's a certain amount of impatience there borne of concious realisation of ability versus required ability. That's a trait of mine unfortunately. At times gut feelings and concerns get into my posts in their raw form. More training, less worrying, eh?:o
    If you want to improve quicker and be ready for racing make sure you train according to how you think the race will pan out. So for example, if the race has a defining hill in it which usually causes a split then find a hill and do some efforts that replicate race intensity on it. For example, you could power up the hill and once you get to the top keep driving on for 500m. You could mix it up and soft pedal to the top before exploding outta the blocks or you could pick a point on the hill where you say "that's the point I'm going to try and make a break". Make it interesting and challenge yourself instead of saying "today I had an average speed of x, therefore I'm improving".

This guy from crankpunk tells the story of a fictional race well, one that you could apply to training:

100km event.

10 mins pre warm-up

5 minute high intensity (Perceived Rate of Exertion [PRE] 8-10) powering after break attempts, staying more or less in top of bunch following wheels

1 minute break (5-6) coasting in peloton

20 minute high intensity (7.5-9) hard riding near front, covering breaks, in wind from time to time

5 minute break (6) coasting in pack, gathering breath, maybe a break has gone up the road

5 minute very high intensity (9-9.5) bridging to break

1 hour 20 medium intensity (6.5-8.5) sitting in break, doing work at front, resting at back

10 minutes high intensity (7-9) covering attacks, following wheels

3 minutes super high intensity (9-10) breaking clear in last 4km.

1 minute super slow, high intensity despondency (-58) got caught with 2km to go and wept like a child, whilst pedaling backwards

:D:D. Thanks for this. Makes perfect sense, especially the point about average speed and improvement. I do fartlek sessions at times where I do mix it up, i.e. I'll go full-bore, sit up for a bit, steady tempo, sprint a hill, etc. Did one this morning in fact, but the sessions are not intense enough going by that example. I'll push it up a good bit in future. It was pointed out by a club mate recently that some of my recovery spins are kinda quick. Maybe if my hard sessions were harder I would not carry as much energy into my recoveries. Thanks again, time to put it into practice and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

All fair and valid points C, thanks. Of course I should not, and would not, presume to be able to keep with guys who have years of hard training done as if it could be done overnight. I guess there's a certain amount of impatience there borne of concious realisation of ability versus required ability. That's a trait of mine unfortunately. At times gut feelings and concerns get into my posts in their raw form. More training, less worrying, eh?:o

:D:D. Thanks for this. Makes perfect sense, especially the point about average speed and improvement. I do fartlek sessions at times where I do mix it up, i.e. I'll go full-bore, sit up for a bit, steady tempo, sprint a hill, etc. Did one this morning in fact, but the sessions are not intense enough going by that example. I'll push it up a good bit in future. It was pointed out by a club mate recently that some of my recovery spins are kinda quick. Maybe if my hard sessions were harder I would not carry as much energy into my recoveries. Thanks again, time to put it into practice and see how it goes.

I don't know if you use a HRM, I'm no expert on training but I do know that my own experience is that using one makes it easier to make the hard sessions hard and the easy sessions easy, my original reason for getting mine (apart from the SVT) was to pace myself on the longer rides/sportives, sometimes when you're solo it's hard to push yourself as hard as you should be and at others, especially in company, you can work harder than is good early in a long spin, RPE is hard to gauge in the middle in my limited experience .

The other thing I think might be worth looking at is your warm up, just doing the club league races I notice that having done a quick warmup (usually no time for anything else) that it takes the first lap or two to really get going, not really a problem because our A5 group usually takes a while to get revved up but if I was in with the faster lads from the gun I reckon I'd struggle.

That's a pretty hard session and more of a one to build up to in a year or 2 but it gives you an idea. Cycling is all about slow progression. Yes, easy sessions should be easy and hard sessions very hard but don't go overboard either. No need to be on your bike 10 hours a week logging 300km if you play your cards right. Intensity is the key. If you have time listen to a few Graeme Street podcasts (Everyday Cyclist). Always emphasise intensity if your time is limited. Some great practical tips in them also.

nilhg wrote: »
    I don't know if you use a HRM, I'm no expert on training but I do know that my own experience is that using one makes it easier to make the hard sessions hard and the easy sessions easy, my original reason for getting mine (apart from the SVT) was to pace myself on the longer rides/sportives, sometimes when you're solo it's hard to push yourself as hard as you should be and at others, especially in company, you can work harder than is good early in a long spin, RPE is hard to gauge in the middle in my limited experience .

The other thing I think might be worth looking at is your warm up, just doing the club league races I notice that having done a quick warmup (usually no time for anything else) that it takes the first lap or two to really get going, not really a problem because our A5 group usually takes a while to get revved up but if I was in with the faster lads from the gun I reckon I'd struggle.

Funny you should say that. Been thinking of a garmin upgrade for last couple of weeks. Birthday is literally around the corner, might drop a few hints during the week with the family;). I'd be the very same as you as regard the warm-up. I seem to start to settle after about 15-20k. On long spins I find at about 40k I am cruising along. Hopefully more training and conditioning will make it "easier" earlier in races. Thanks J.
    That's a pretty hard session and more of a one to build up to in a year or 2 but it gives you an idea. Cycling is all about slow progression. Yes, easy sessions should be easy and hard sessions very hard but don't go overboard either. No need to be on your bike 10 hours a week logging 300km if you play your cards right. Intensity is the key. If you have time listen to a few Graeme Street podcasts (Everyday Cyclist). Always emphasise intensity if your time is limited. Some great practical tips in them also.

Yeah definitely something to progress towards. Read a lot of that blog of crankpunk last night, interesting reading. Great to get the advice, thanks again.

Just over 200km for the week and some really positive outcomes. Work was busy. Home was busy. Keeps me out of trouble.
    Made slight adjustment to my cleat positioning. Was relunctant to do it as I have had very few issues with strains with the existing positioning, but it just felt a little off. Just wasn't getting the full power onto the pedals. Results were good. Still comfortable and feels much stronger.

Monday 5th May
    A fartlek session. Overall not very quick but I was throwing in sprints and attacking on hills and generally mixing it up. Keeps things interesting, thanks Mr. Prendeville:).

Distance: 58.5km
    Av speed: 26.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 492m

Wednesday 7th May
    League race. After puncturing and marshalling I was eager to nail this one, once and for all and finish a race. Good warm-up with some sprints and headed for the start line. Pace was brisk and I was at the back again but comfortable there. Ventured up the group a few times and bridged one small break. Towards the end when the pace ramped up I could feel myself falling off a little. Not out of breath but not strong enough in the legs. Finished just at the back of the group, absolutely delighted and grinning as if I had won. Such a buzz and a relief.

Distance: 37.1km
    Av speed: 40.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 71m

Thursday 8th May
    This was supposed to be shorter and a recovery spin but when I got going I felt good and no tiredness from the previous night's racing. Decided to turn it into a fartlek session. Attacked hills, descents and a series of sprints. Happy with the session overall.

Distance: 48.5km
    Av speed: 28.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 424m

Sunday 11th May
    Awoke to home-made birthday cards and little pressies from my boys. Usually I'd get myself something small. This year my present to myself was a session of hill repeats. Headed off with a neighbour of mine. He's just recovering from injury but a fit guy, runner and adventure racer. Handy spin down to the climb. It's 2.6km with an average grade of 7%. We met up at the top and bottom but other than that we did our own pacing. Did 5 repeats and used the descents for recovery and maybe a minute or 2 extra for quick drink. Went by feel and was not very uncomfortable but still a testing session. Next time I will be harder on myself but today was a good bench mark. Handy spin home with a bit of a tail wind.

Distance: 61.2km
    Av speed: 19.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1068m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Belated happy birthday. You seem to be getting a great kick out of the cycling :D

Work was busy as always and some long days. Just over the 200km again. Closing date for Wicklow 200 is tomorrow. I had been mulling over it for a while but I'm going to leave it for this year. I will do my own 200km+ spin in the hills soon.

Wednesday 14th May
    League race again and a bit quicker this week. After finally finishing a race the week before i felt more at ease. I was towards the back for a lot of the first 2 laps. On the third lap I decided to mix it up a bit. I went to the front for a couple of km and worked. I bridged a couple of times and generally put myself about a bit. It felt good tbh without much fear of being dropped. I'd push it and then rest in the bunch and go again. The end was a carbon copy of the previous race, finishing at the back of the group. Overall I was very happy. I had decided to push it as there is really no point in sitting in. I will only progress by upping the ante bit by bit. It's funny really, up to last week I was dissappointed when I was dropped, now I'm not so worried because it means I am out of my comfort zone more and more, if that makes any sense at all. Quite a turn around.

Distance: 37.1km
    Av speed: 40.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 71m

Friday 16th May
    A recovery spin and a chance to clear the head after the week in work.

Distance: 27.3km
    Av speed: 26.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 228m

Saturday 17th May
    Did the Mt Leinster challenge. A great day out. Great buzz around the start and met a few familiar faces. Food was great, company was great, weather was great.....what more could you ask for. I made my way around pretty steadily. Got a puncture and that threw the rhythm a bit but got back going again and finished pretty strong. I did not eat any breakfast and only had fluids up to the food stop. Ate very little there either and had on gel towards the end, more out of habit than anything else. For the last while I have been eating less and less on the bike and maybe the body is starting to grow more accustomed to it.

Distance: 136.5km
    Av speed: 26.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1636m

• Advertisement

Light week. Busy at work and home and pretty tired overall. Weight remains steady at 13st 6lbs so need to get it down to the next step, stabilise, and drop again and so on. Year is flying by, can't believe june bank holiday is next weekend. Trying to save some money for the next while to maybe invest in a wheel upgrade. Not sure what to get so I'll need to do a bit more research.

Wednesday 21st May
    League race again, last one. I was a bit tired all day but got warm-up done and felt more alert. The plan was to take it handy for first few laps and do a few stints up the front, then mix it up a bit. Pretty happy overall. Tried a few very short breaks from the group. Was caught pretty quick but it felt good to attack, if only for very short periods. If anything it gave me an increased respect for breakaways especially the ones that stick....it's tough going out there and not for the faint hearted.

Distance: 37.2km
    Av speed: 38.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 70m

Saturday 24th May
    A handy one to spin the legs. This should have been done earlier than saturday but I didn't get a chance.

Distance: 24.2km
    Av speed: 24.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 189m

Sunday 25th May
    This spin ticked a few boxes. It beefed up a very, very light week. I also wanted to try longer spins with no food and just fluids. This was done with no breakfast, just half a banana before I set off, 2 bottles of fluid on the bike (one with just water and one with water and a very small bit of dilutable orange) and the other half of the banana when I got home. I know it wasn't a really long spin but I really didn't miss the food. The plan would be to try to up the distance over time. Probably bring a very small amount but not use it unless I really had to, i.e. impending bonk. Met my old running buddy Dilbert75 who was out for his sunday morning run....looking strong C.

Distance: 88.8km
    Av speed: 27.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 684m

The bonk rides are a great technique apparently for weight loss. Maybe just carry something for backup but if you're able to get through 88k on 1/2 banana that's some going.

My only advice is that instead of eating carbs before going out (even though you only had very minimal amount) you'd be better off eating proteins/fats. Scrambled or steamed eggs would be perfect. Get them ready the night before if time is short, add 100ml milk and a small bit of cheese or something you like to add flavour. If you feed the body carbs before going out the body will use carbs as it's energy source on the ride. The trick is to train your body to burn fats and so consuming fats/protein beforehand will train it to burn them also.

The bonk rides are a great technique apparently for weight loss. Maybe just carry something for backup but if you're able to get through 88k on 1/2 banana that's some going.

My only advice is that instead of eating carbs before going out (even though you only had very minimal amount) you'd be better off eating proteins/fats. Scrambled or steamed eggs would be perfect. Get them ready the night before if time is short, add 100ml milk and a small bit of cheese or something you like to add flavour. If you feed the body carbs before going out the body will use carbs as it's energy source on the ride. The trick is to train your body to burn fats and so consuming fats/protein beforehand will train it to burn them also.

Duly noted. Usually have 2 eggs scrambled and a protein shake after decent training spins. I get them from a neighbour from time to time, a mixture of duck and hen eggs and proper free range. Will have the eggs beforehand and see how it goes. Felt grand after the 88km but I have bonked before when over 100km with little food intake. Body seems to crash quite quickly.

Not a bad week. Very busy at work again. Trying to maintain weight at 13st 3lbs for the week. One year already since I started this log and started cycling.

Wednesday 28th May
    Bit of everything in this session, just mixed it up in general.

Distance: 38.0km
    Av speed: 29.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 304m

Saturday 31st May
    Brilliant weather. One of those days I just wanted to stay in the saddle. Took it handy for the most part. No food except some protein beforehand, just fluids during the ride. Hurt the shoulder a bit while working at home afterwards. Was trying to make up my mind whether to race the next day.

Distance: 64.1km
    Av speed: 27.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 422m

Sunday 1st June
    Despite the shoulder I decided to head to castlecomer for the Deenside Cup A4. Got up in good time, signed on, set up and got the warm up done and off we went. After getting some decent club races under the belt I found the going easier at the start than in previous open races and felt a bit more confident.

I knew that the glenmagoo climb would be where I could possibly lose the group and it didn't dissappoint. As I was climbing I could see Couerdelion coming back off the group very quickly. I decided I was going to give him a shout and try to get him on my wheel to get him going. I reckoned if I could encourage him up towards the top of the climb he would be fine cos this guy's power on the flat is scary. He didn't dissappoint and off he went. I couldn't keep with him and found myself in a group of 4. We worked well together until we were back around to glenmagoo again and we split at different paces and glenmagoo was way tougher the second time for me. I pushed on and spotted Couerdelion about 600 or 700m ahead in a small group approaching castlecomer. I didn't catch them. I tried a sprint from about 500m but I could feel a bit of cramp and I rolled over the line.

Overall kinda happy with the day. I'm heading in the right direction if nothing else. Plenty of work to be done especially on the hills. Need more hill sprints and repeats. Climbing is one thing but climbing at race pace is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Great job by Deenside. A seriously well organised race from start to finish. Met De Bhal and wirelessdude01 after the race. Sound guys.

Distance: 68.7km
    Av speed: 35.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 431m

Only 3 spins for the week but got just over 280km done nonetheless.

Monday 2nd June
    Despite having raced the previous day, I decided to take advantage of the bank holiday and get some distance training in.

This turned out to be a great session. Not for speed or distance but for what I learned. I used the session to increase distance without food. Going on advice from pprendeville, thanks man, I fried 2 eggs before I set off and 2 bottles of fluids. The day stayed dry and really enjoyed the spin. At about 80km I could feel myself bonking. The voice in my head was telling me to give in and eat the fruit cake bar I had brought as a back up. So I decided to change my mindset. I told myself that this is what I wanted to happen. I decided that I would do 15km more in the "Bonk state" and eat the bar for the last 5km. You might say why bother eating with only 5km to go but I used it as a means to an end for motivation. It worked a treat and I was surprised how determined I became. It wasn't easy but very satisfying. Really happy with what I learned and looking forward to the next time.

Distance: 100.4km
    Av speed: 25.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 632m

Saturday 7th June
    A chance to get in a longer spin. I ate nothing before I left and tried to keep the food to a minimum, 3 of those "elevenses" bars. Stopped at about 100km for a top up of water from a petrol station. Dry for the most part, although I did get caught in one brief but very heavy downpour. Felt strong enough and really wanted to keep going to 200km but I had work to do at home. Next time.

Distance: 155.1km
    Av speed: 27.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1244m

Sunday 8th June
    Nice handy recovery spin. Really enjoyed it. Looking over ditches and generally enjoying the fresh air and time on the bike.

Distance: 30.9km
    Av speed: 22.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 244m

Finally broke 300km for the week despite long work days. Decent week overall. Weight is stabilised nicely at 13st 3lbs. Next week the aim is 13st.

Monday 9th June
    Short fartlek session.

Distance: 25.0km
    Av speed: 27.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 191m

Tuesday 10th June
    Got the car serviced so I brought the bike to go for a steady spin while the servicing was being done. Nice evening but unbelievable amount of flies......reckon I inhaled about the equivalent of 20g of protein;).

Distance: 37.9km
    Av speed: 28.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 195m

Wednesday 11th June
    League race. Had not raced since castlecomer and felt a bit tired and not very alert. More drags than on our course so I was apprehensive as to how I would get on. Not too bad in the end. Middle of the pack or so in the A4's. Novices stayed away. Managed a bit of a sprint and happy enough.

Distance: 40.3km
    Av speed: 37.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 227m

Friday 13th June
    Fartlek Session again and gave it a good go with a mixture of everything. Attacked the hills and sprints and other bits and pieces.

Distance: 62.7km
    Av speed: 29.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 548m

Saturday 14th June
    A chance to spin the legs. Nice rolling route. No food just fluids.

Distance: 64.1km
    Av speed: 24.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 424m

Sunday 15th June
    Headed down for the Dungarvan open race. Got the warm up done. Decent set up and good marshalling I thought. I just wanted to finish in the group or thereabouts cos my track record to date in open races is brutal.

Strong warnings from the race director with regard to disqualifications if the white line was crossed. I sat in at the back and pretty much stayed there. Not really by choice cos it was difficult to make any progress. No real turnover and no movement up the right, so I stayed where I was. Managed to stay with the group, even on the drags. But towards the end the legs started to cramp pretty badly and this was 2-3km before the finishing drag. Dehydrated I reckon, just didn't get enough fluids in coming up to the race. I dug deep, stuck it in a heavy gear, up out of the saddle and tried to overcome the cramps. Finished about 8-10 seconds down on the group in the end when I dropped off slightly with 500m to go. Plenty of shouts at people to get in off the RHS of the road for the last climb. Saw one guy squeeze in around the wing mirror of the car:mad:.

Happy enough. Best outcome so far in a open race. The only line I crossed was the finish line and I put my gel wrappers in my pocket.

Distance: 72.5km
    Av speed: 36.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 425m

Started out as a recovery week. I was absolutely wrecked from the previous week. Legs were shattered and sore from racing in dungarvan. Got a sports massage and a session of dry needling. Managed to get some good distance in over the weekend. Just over 280km for the week.

Wednesday 18th June
    Really easy recovery session after massage the night before. Exhausted tbh. Was supposed to race but it would have been absolutely pointless, I wouldn't have managed only a couple of km at race pace.

Distance: 14.2km
    Av speed: 20.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 95m

Saturday 21st June
    A chance to spin the legs after the needling session the night before. Steady and a bit quicker than I expected. 2 fried eggs and protein shake before I left. No food on bike, just 1.5L of water and dilutable. Met a guy on way home who is training for Iron Man in Kerry in August. Sound fella and strong, I suppose you'd expect that. Gave me a great idea on gels.

Distance: 87.6km
    Elevation Gain: 641m

Sunday 22nd June
    Time for a good distance session. Legs were better. Not 100% but I eased into it. Longest spin I've done.

No breakfast. Banana in the first 10km. Ate energy bar at about 80km. Stopped for water top-up about 115km. Decided to try out the tip from the tri-guy from the day before. He said he had trouble with gels. He'd take them and then if he didn't get in enough water his stomach would suffer. He puts his gel into his water bottle. So that's what I did. Straight water into one bottle and 500ml water and 2 gels into the other bottle. Mixed fine and done and dusted at the shop with the disposing of the gel wrappers so no sticky fingers or pockets. Worked really well. Couple of slugs now and again. With 30km to go I took my back up gel with the remaing water cos I was starting to fade really fast.

The sum total intake for the spin was 1 banana, 1 energy bar, 3 gels (No caffeine) and just over 2L of water. Not too bad having had no breakfast.

Distance: 183.0km
    Av speed: 26.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1383m

Some rest week.

Some rest week.

Ah it was a recovery week of sorts. Not as much exertion on the spins than the racing entails. You heading down to enniscorthy next week for the dragon?

Well done in portarlington by the way.

• Advertisement

No racing. It didn't suit as I was away for a couple of nights. Not a bad week but nothing amazing. Managed to do just over 1250km for the month of June, happy with that.

Tuesday 24th June
    Kept it steady for this one.

Distance: 45.4km
    Av speed: 27.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 344m

Friday 27th June
    Short fartlek Session.

Distance: 28.2km
    Av speed: 29.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 257m

Saturday 28th June
    Handy recovery spin.

Distance: 66.7km
    Av speed: 25.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 436m

Sunday 29th June
    Did the Big Dragon Sportive. I did the Little Dragon last year as my very first sportive. Great day out. Excellent marshalling and fantastic grub. The weather held up its side of the bargain too. It was chip timed this year. I got around ok but not as quick as I would have hoped too. Enjoyed it though and met loads more sound people.

Distance: 139.4km
    Av speed: 27.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1694m

Advertisement