Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your thoughts on Moate, Mountrath & Baltinglass please...?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, there's inter scratch cups on in each of the above mentioned courses on Saturday. I'd like to play one but never having played any of the courses I'm unsure which one to go for. Living in Dublin they're all about an hour to an hour and a quarter away.

Would anyone recommend any of the three courses in particular, or share any thoughts on any of them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Baltinglass would be my preference of the three,
    the new 9 holes have matured nicely over the last couple of years and the climb up the first will get the heart pumping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Thanks for that. After playing Stackstown and Macreddin in recent weeks I think my heart needs a rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Baltinglass would be my preference of the three,
    the new 9 holes have matured nicely over the last couple of years and the climb up the first will get the heart pumping :D

The new nine at Baltinglass are really good, and the old nine are 'old school'. As McGarrett says, the 1st is all uphill and you'll be knackered, but it's worth it.

I like Mountrath alot - lots of big, rolling fairways that can leave you blind and a couple of really good holes late on.

Moate has a new nine that are a bit formulaic - up and down and not much to them, but there are a few beauties that run from 4 to 8 or so.

Your best bet is probably Mountrath - but check out the photos and see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Snakey wrote: »
    Hi, there's inter scratch cups on in each of the above mentioned courses on Saturday. I'd like to play one but never having played any of the courses I'm unsure which one to go for. Living in Dublin they're all about an hour to an hour and a quarter away.

Would anyone recommend any of the three courses in particular, or share any thoughts on any of them?

Cheers

Snakey, you may want to check with Moate GC about this Saturday. The GUI listings have inter and junior scratches down for this saturday, but the club website says they are taking place next weekend, with a members comp on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Thanks all. Mountrath sounds like the one so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KOJAK_1

Snakey, you may want to check with Moate GC about this Saturday. The GUI listings have inter and junior scratches down for this saturday, but the club website says they are taking place next weekend, with a members comp on this weekend.

Moate is not on this weekend. It is on 29th/30th May

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

KOJAK_1 wrote: »

can confirm this, golf for the year is on this weekend in moate - played a round there last night!

Handy course and as said above 4 - 12 are the best holes. Very flat and open with good wide fairways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

KOJAK_1 wrote: »

You might want to tell the GUI that. Pretty crap scheduling for the Junior Scratch as most 5-9s will be involved in Junior Cup next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

Not played Moate so can't quote.. :-)

Played Baltinglass last year, really nice track... front nine you need to be a bit of a mountain goat....

Mountrath, was a member there for over 10 years... fantastic track... then I might be slightly bias...

Advertisement