Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-02-2020, 19:47   #1
Psychlops
Registered User
 
Psychlops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 400
X-PLANE or FSX?

Hi all, so Im getting a new PC soon, going to go as high spec as possible, I mainly fly helicopters & wonder what is the best platform?


From watching youtube videos ive formed the opinion that purely for flying helicopter realism & aircraft model aesthetics & scenery that X-plane is the way to go?
Psychlops is offline  
Advertisement
15-02-2020, 12:18   #2
Skyknight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
You Lucky Devil In my humble opinion ... XPlane 11. The helicopter flight models for the most part seem pretty good. XPlane has the advantage over FSX in that it is constantly being worked on..version 11.50 is coming down the pipe. If you are unsure you can try the demo (https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/).

Last edited by Skyknight; 15-02-2020 at 23:57.
Skyknight is offline  
Thanks from:
15-02-2020, 21:07   #3
Psychlops
Registered User
 
Psychlops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 400
Thank you, looks the way to go, visually stunning!
Psychlops is offline  
Thanks from:
16-02-2020, 00:08   #4
Skyknight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
NP Just out of interest, do you have a set of rudder peddles? Were you thinking going the traditional method or will it be via steam? I'm a traditionalist myself and went for the CD's, as I lack both the high speed line, and patience for the steam d/l to install. .

Last edited by Skyknight; 16-02-2020 at 00:51.
Skyknight is offline  
17-02-2020, 17:11   #5
John_Mc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,606
Surely the question should be Xplane or P3d? Even today, you would want to be looking at the new sim coming out this year from Microsoft which looks like the holy grail of simulators.

I've tried Xplane myself a number of times but found it way too clunky and difficult to get addons. I also don't like the colours rendered.

Xplane also has a lack of quality payware addons.

For what it's worth I think you should install both and see which you prefer. There's no reason not to
John_Mc is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 17:13   #6
TheValeyard
Registered User
 
TheValeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6,050
Is the new flight sim out yet?
TheValeyard is offline  
17-02-2020, 17:29   #7
Skyknight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
Very true, John at this stage it should indeed, though the flight model is very much that of the old FSX.

Valeyard... Not yet I'm afraid....mid to late 2020 I would think.
I'm interested to see the new sim myself...(even more so if I had a 2080)...but I'm not holding my breath. .

There is a fair amount quality addons both free and payware out there..Including helos It does take a little looking around..even off the beaten track

Last edited by Skyknight; 17-02-2020 at 18:43.
Skyknight is offline  
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 20:37   #8
Psychlops
Registered User
 
Psychlops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyknight View Post
NP Just out of interest, do you have a set of rudder peddles? Were you thinking going the traditional method or will it be via steam? I'm a traditionalist myself and went for the CD's, as I lack both the high speed line, and patience for the steam d/l to install. .

Id say I will go for the CD as im not tht fond of steam.
Psychlops is offline  
17-02-2020, 20:41   #9
Psychlops
Registered User
 
Psychlops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Mc View Post
Surely the question should be Xplane or P3d? Even today, you would want to be looking at the new sim coming out this year from Microsoft which looks like the holy grail of simulators.

I've tried Xplane myself a number of times but found it way too clunky and difficult to get addons. I also don't like the colours rendered.

Xplane also has a lack of quality payware addons.

For what it's worth I think you should install both and see which you prefer. There's no reason not to

I never even thought of P3D, but the new MSFS doesnt have any helicopters im led to believe.
Psychlops is offline  
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 20:43   #10
Psychlops
Registered User
 
Psychlops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 400
Is there an S92 for P3D?
Psychlops is offline  
17-02-2020, 21:17   #11
Skyknight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
I'm not quite sure O_O
Skyknight is offline  
18-02-2020, 13:20   #12
John_Mc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlops View Post
I never even thought of P3D, but the new MSFS doesnt have any helicopters im led to believe.
FSX is dead. P3D is a much better platform with continuous updates that make it look nicer and have better performance.

One of the biggest advances was the move from 32 bit to 64 bit architecture which means the 4GB address space limitation in FSX is no longer an issue. With the latest addons and scenery you'll easily consume 4GB RAM.

This guy has an S92 in P3D v4. I'd message him on Youtube and ask where he got it:

John_Mc is offline  
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2020, 15:14   #13
Psychlops
Registered User
 
Psychlops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 400
Thanks John.
Psychlops is offline  
20-02-2020, 18:52   #14
xieann
Registered User
 
xieann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,369
My own €0.02 :

Own a 16gb Asus scar strix running X plane 11.

No urge to buy my fs 2019, demos are from oy a few sources on YouTube, and seem a bit biased.

Also, as owner of Vulcan Bomber for fs X, I'm delighted to see that this venerable v bomber will soon be available on xplanee 11!
xieann is online now  
Thanks from:
23-02-2020, 12:54   #15
Board Walker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlops View Post
Hi all, so Im getting a new PC soon, going to go as high spec as possible, I mainly fly helicopters & wonder what is the best platform?


From watching youtube videos ive formed the opinion that purely for flying helicopter realism & aircraft model aesthetics & scenery that X-plane is the way to go?
What spec PC did you get with regards RAM, graphics card, processor?

Also, have you considered P3D? ive been looking at videos online. it looks pretty amazing!

Last edited by Board Walker; 24-02-2020 at 13:58.
Board Walker is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet