Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-PLANE or FSX?

• 14-02-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so Im getting a new PC soon, going to go as high spec as possible, I mainly fly helicopters & wonder what is the best platform?

From watching youtube videos ive formed the opinion that purely for flying helicopter realism & aircraft model aesthetics & scenery that X-plane is the way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

You Lucky Devil :D In my humble opinion ... XPlane 11. The helicopter flight models for the most part seem pretty good. XPlane has the advantage over FSX in that it is constantly being worked on..version 11.50 is coming down the pipe. If you are unsure you can try the demo (https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Thank you, looks the way to go, visually stunning!

NP Just out of interest, do you have a set of rudder peddles? Were you thinking going the traditional method or will it be via steam? I'm a traditionalist myself and went for the CD's, as I lack both the high speed line, and patience for the steam d/l to install. ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Surely the question should be Xplane or P3d? Even today, you would want to be looking at the new sim coming out this year from Microsoft which looks like the holy grail of simulators.

I've tried Xplane myself a number of times but found it way too clunky and difficult to get addons. I also don't like the colours rendered.

Xplane also has a lack of quality payware addons.

For what it's worth I think you should install both and see which you prefer. There's no reason not to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is the new flight sim out yet?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Very true, John at this stage it should indeed, though the flight model is very much that of the old FSX.

Valeyard... Not yet I'm afraid....mid to late 2020 I would think.
    I'm interested to see the new sim myself...(even more so if I had a 2080)...but I'm not holding my breath. :D.

There is a fair amount quality addons both free and payware out there..Including helos It does take a little looking around..even off the beaten track ;)

Skyknight wrote: »
    NP Just out of interest, do you have a set of rudder peddles? Were you thinking going the traditional method or will it be via steam? I'm a traditionalist myself and went for the CD's, as I lack both the high speed line, and patience for the steam d/l to install. ;).

Id say I will go for the CD as im not tht fond of steam.

John_Mc wrote: »
    Surely the question should be Xplane or P3d? Even today, you would want to be looking at the new sim coming out this year from Microsoft which looks like the holy grail of simulators.

I've tried Xplane myself a number of times but found it way too clunky and difficult to get addons. I also don't like the colours rendered.

Xplane also has a lack of quality payware addons.

For what it's worth I think you should install both and see which you prefer. There's no reason not to

I never even thought of P3D, but the new MSFS doesnt have any helicopters im led to believe.

Is there an S92 for P3D?

I'm not quite sure O_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Psychlops wrote: »
    I never even thought of P3D, but the new MSFS doesnt have any helicopters im led to believe.

FSX is dead. P3D is a much better platform with continuous updates that make it look nicer and have better performance.

One of the biggest advances was the move from 32 bit to 64 bit architecture which means the 4GB address space limitation in FSX is no longer an issue. With the latest addons and scenery you'll easily consume 4GB RAM.

This guy has an S92 in P3D v4. I'd message him on Youtube and ask where he got it:

Thanks John.

My own €0.02 :

Own a 16gb Asus scar strix running X plane 11.

No urge to buy my fs 2019, demos are from oy a few sources on YouTube, and seem a bit biased.

Also, as owner of Vulcan Bomber for fs X, I'm delighted to see that this venerable v bomber will soon be available on xplanee 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Psychlops wrote: »
    Hi all, so Im getting a new PC soon, going to go as high spec as possible, I mainly fly helicopters & wonder what is the best platform?

From watching youtube videos ive formed the opinion that purely for flying helicopter realism & aircraft model aesthetics & scenery that X-plane is the way to go?

What spec PC did you get with regards RAM, graphics card, processor?

Also, have you considered P3D? ive been looking at videos online. it looks pretty amazing!

Advertisement