Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus - The Reveal

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Green&Red has actually leapt into sneak the final podium place at the expense of poor old Trigger. They were top of the tree going into this round. Sadly for them "El Tango de Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge only scored
    3 points
    , dropping them out of the top three.

(Rumours are rife that this may in fact be retribution from one of the judges due to high levels of sass being expressed previously in the competition)

Barney's Comments: Like the music at the beginning of this. However, I really do not enjoy the first singer's voice once he kicks in. Probably works well on stage, which might be a downfall of this theme as some of the songs could be so much better when seen as part of the show.

Kingsley's Comments: Well this is just mad. Full on mad. Don't know what to make of it at all. Love it and hate it a few times all in the space of 4 minutes. There's a couple of bonus points here for it being so nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Green&Red has actually leapt into sneak the final podium place at the expense of poor old Trigger. They were top of the tree going into this round. Sadly for them "El Tango de Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge only scored
    3 points
    , dropping them out of the top three.

(Rumours are rife that this may in fact be retribution from one of the judges due to high levels of sass being expressed previously in the competition)

Barney's Comments: Like the music at the beginning of this. However, I really do not enjoy the first singer's voice once he kicks in. Probably works well on stage, which might be a downfall of this theme as some of the songs could be so much better when seen as part of the show.

Kingsley's Comments: Well this is just mad. Full on mad. Don't know what to make of it at all. Love it and hate it a few times all in the space of 4 minutes. There's a couple of bonus points here for it being so nuts.

FrighteningIllegalDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

After G&R’s song ranked so highly Prisca needed to score over 11 to get back in front. However, "The Lioness Hunt " from The Lion King got them
    8 points
    and they finished just behind the top 2. And so GnR just keeps on moving on up (as S-Club & would've wanted)

Barney's Comments: I wasn't sure about this one on first listen. But then I listened again and found myself nodding along. It grew on me quite quickly. I see MrK has guessed I'd love it and whilst I do like it, loving it might be a stretch. Would have scored more if not for the ending which I didn't like any time I listened.

Kingsley's Comments: Not really wild on this (Although I bet Barney loves it because it reminds him of a certain World Cup theme song.....) Just not crazy about the non stop chanting.

giphy.gif

Which just leaves us with 1 last reveal.

Finally we have phatkev with "My Shot" from Hamilton. They are 9 points behind G&R, needing 10 or more to clinch victory. Their song was a good entry and it won them
    10 points in the round and the overall competition

Barney's Comments: I've heard this song a lot, friend used to play the soundtrack a fair amount. I think it is very good, a good beat, but I don't like Miranda's voice. He's lost the song a few points but a good entry for the round.

Kingsley's Comments: Bit of hip-hop, yes please. Nice flow and like the beat and choir at the chorus. However I am taking a few marks off for the repetitiveness of it and some of the lyrics I find rather cringy. But I really enjoyed listening to this one.

Congratulations to you Kev

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

And the final leaderboard looks a little something like this.

Study Food Musical Reminds You Good Mood Total
    phatkev 14 13 10 15 3 55
    Green&Red 6 9 15 12 12 54
    Prisca 5 14 8 14 11 52
    Trigger 4 15 3 13 14 49
    osh 7 10 7 9 13 46
    Drumpot 13 2 13 4 8 40
    TED_YNWA 12 4 2 5 15 38
    MicksJaguar 8 5 6 10 7 36
    Pretzill 3 11 11 7 4 36
    Ectoplasm 15 7 1 3 9 35
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 9 1 4 11 10 35
    Necrina 10 3 9 6 5 33
    Spook_ie 1 8 14 2 6 31
    tusk 11 12 5 1 1 30
    Necro 2 6 12 8 2 30

Thank you very much for all (well almost all) of the songs sent in. I got exactly what I wanted out of it which was a load of new artists to listen to and an opportunity to do loads of gifs.

We need not worry about "winners" and "losers" because sure, didn't you all have lovely entries.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Phatkev! Great reveal tonight Mr K and Barney - and imo fair commentary on most of the choices in this category - That version of Moulin Rouge killed some really good tracks, including Roxanne. Sorry Trigger, I really thought you may have got top spot in this Walrus!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats on the win phatkev!

And fair play to Mr Kingsley and Barney92 for running such a great show, even if I disagree with some of the decisions they made. ;)

Since it was my first Walrus, my only goal was to not come last, so I'm pretty happy with how I fared.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

giphy.gif

Nice one, delighted with that! I thought my change of mood choice would have scuppered my chances of winning

I will update the main page with the five playlists in the morning by the by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Well done phatkev

great game lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Prisca

Loved the game. Can’t wait to listen to the playlists, happy with my first Walrus. Congrats to all

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Prisca

Green&Red wrote: »
    Need Prisca to do well
    I lost the chance with an obscure Lion King tune!

Prisca wrote: »
    Loved the game. Can’t wait to listen to the playlists, happy with my first Walrus. Congrats to all

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Well done Kev

Thanks lads for organising

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Joint last is probably what I deserve for inflicting the Ding Dong Song on the thread :P

giphy.gif

I think we study at different levels, I need to be revved up and motivated to do anything involving cramming whereas you guys wanted the mellow sounds. Oh well, lesson learned.... Or is it :D

Thanks for running folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Necro wrote: »
    Joint last is probably what I deserve for inflicting the Ding Dong Song on the thread :P

That was a highlight for me :D

phatkev wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Nice one, delighted with that! I thought my change of mood choice would have scuppered my chances of winning

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, congrats Kev, some decent selections there.

Delighted with 4th place and the lead going into the last but kinda knew my selection here wasnt strong enough.. didnt think it was that bad though.. (itsaconspiracy.gif)

Thanks to Kingsley and Barney for a great Walrus and reveals. Roll on the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Cheers for the game lads and congrats Kev. Unlucky GnR, you almost snatched it!

This was the round that nearly stopped me entering as I’m not really much of a fan of musicals.

Happy enough with 5th. Would have been a bit higher if it was just Mr Kingsley judging :D

Roll on homer’s game. Feeling probably unduly confident for this one!

osh wrote: »
    Cheers for the game lads and congrats Kev. Unlucky GnR, you almost snatched it!

This was the round that nearly stopped me entering as I’m not really much of a fan of musicals.

Happy enough with 5th. Would have been a bit higher if it was just Mr Kingsley judging :D

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

osh wrote: »
    Trigger wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I've got a pretty solid lineup for Homer's walrus, so also feeling fairly confident...

giphy.gif

Famous last words, I know, probably gone and jinxed it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

That's twice now necro...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

MrKingsley wrote: »
    So first up is Spook_ie with "Flash, Bang Whallop” from Half A Sixpence. For this they scored
    14 points
    , their best performance thus far.

Barney's Comments: Jaunty entry, that'll do well with me. Very clever song. I think it might grate on me if I heard it a lot, but a magical number every now and then. Never heard of this musical before but would like to see it now. Strong ending for a musical number too.

Kingsley's Comments: This will do very nicely. Great choice. I could actually see myself and Barney singing and clapping along to this. Beautifully layered.

giphy.gif

Fair play to you Spook. Went to see Half a Sixpence last night. Very good musical. The perks of doing a walrus.

Advertisement