Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bittersweet

Options
  • 01-01-2018 7:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So most of my 2017 goals were failures but all showed a positive trend over the year. This year a different tack on the training logs. Monthly rather than weekly, some weeks just bored the hell out of me last year and felt like a chore to report back in on.

I have managed not to gain as much weight over this holiday period, simply by being less of a gluttonous git, so the self control is slightly improved.

Goals this year are simpler:

- get upgraded from Limit to Semi Scratch in the Club League: more than capable of getting to semi limit, and expect, if I get out enough to be forced up.
    - drop back down to 80kg: currently at 85kg, I think diet improvements alone should take care of this but all of last year I failed to have the discipline and never bested 83kg
    - get HbA1c down to under 50: currently at 64mmol/mol, again, better than last year but still plenty of room for improvement
    - Get out for the Track league and get pushed into Bs
    - Dublin Wheelers GP 3rd March
    - Newbridge GP 17th March
    - Frank O'Rourke Memorial 6th May
    - Shay Elliott Memorial 13th May
    - Duane Delaney TGP 2nd June
    - Noel & Kieran Hammond Memorials 9th June
    - Stephen Roche GP 20th June
    - Mullingar GP 15th July
    - Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day - 18th August
    - SERC GP South-East Road Club - 25th August
    - Laragh Classic 1st September
    - Lucan GP 15th September
    - Leinster Track Champs 23rd September

What I will be keeping an eye on:
    - Weight
    - Max speed
    - Max HR
    - average BG levels
    - Diet
    - Training in addition to commuting

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You left out the Team Pursuit Nationals in August there Cram :cool:

(and you'd be starting in the B's no bother to ya)

Best of all the good luck with it all, I am fully confident of your abilities to achieve all *punchy emoji*

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

I think you are not doing enough racing early season, racing really brings on your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

The Elliott doesn't have an A4 race unfortunately, but sure you might be A3 by then :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nee wrote: »
    You left out the Team Pursuit Nationals in August there Cram :cool:
    The only question is whether our mutual friend would let me join his team.
    (and you'd be starting in the B's no bother to ya)
    If I start in B's, the positives are that one goal will have been achieved.
    ABEasy wrote: »
    I think you are not doing enough racing early season, racing really brings on your fitness.
    Along with the races listed, I also will be at either Wednesday night track racing or Thursday night Club league from April. Alas those listed are the realistic aims. Be they in line with other family commitments or near enough that I don't lose a full day. Bringing in rollers to work tomorrow to start lunchtime base training. You are 100% right though, if I started this a few years earlier, I'd be grand but family and life mean time is a precious commodity.
    Plastik wrote: »
    The Elliott doesn't have an A4 race unfortunately, but sure you might be A3 by then :)
    I think there are one or two others that have the same issue. Getting upgraded is one of the main aims, be it early or late. Oddly enough, the dream would be to get upgraded late so I could be competitive in the Wexford 2 day, on the plus side, an early upgrade means I get to do the other TT for it. I live right beside the rollout for the Shay Elliott and the ego in me would also like to have a day where my son gets to see me roll out when he is still young enough to be excited by his dad doing stuff.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The only question is whether our mutual friend would let me join his team.

Ya'd have to change clubs - he may be coming to the literal dark side :cool:

To the person saying you're starting late - it all depends on what your goals are for the season. I'm not gonna go road racing till April at the earliest, end of August/start of September is the focus, it's a long season. No point in hammering yourself too early and having nothing left when you need it/burning out.

The team pursuit nationals are at the start of August Cram ;) #aimz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I see the Frank O’Rourke race in your list , it’s in the calendar but I hear locally it may not be going ahead this year . Worth keeping an eye on anyway .

fondriest wrote: »
    I see the Frank O’Rourke race in your list , it’s in the calendar but I hear locally it may not be going ahead this year . Worth keeping an eye on anyway .

Thanks for the heads up, its a good leg stretcher, pity if it is off the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I don't think the Stephen Roche GP has A4 either. I could be wrong as i don't race but i go to watch it every year and i think it starts at A3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

- get upgraded from Limit to Semi Scratch in the Club League: more than capable of getting to semi limit, and expect, if I get out enough to be forced up.

Are you not in Semi-Limit already? Or did I imagine that?

I don't think the Stephen Roche GP has A4 either. I could be wrong as i don't race but i go to watch it every year and i think it starts at A3
    It is indeed, a few of the races are "if I get upgraded" races.
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Are you not in Semi-Limit already? Or did I imagine that?
    I missed it by 1 point in the end last year. This said I may be forced up anyway, (there is also a list of people from the organisers who are going to be demoted as well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Shannonside GP is a good target for A4 pts, handy course with no digs of note.

dahat wrote: »
    Shannonside GP is a good target for A4 pts, handy course with no digs of note.

Alas it is a little outside my distance to get too. Other than that, not looking to pick easy races for points. If I am not suffering then its not of much benefit to me :D

The startling realisation that most of my weight loss last year was due mainly to water loss rather than fat loss is becoming increasingly obvious.
    Positives this month, technically my diet has improved tremendously,
    eating alot more veg, fresh food and less sweets/chrisps etc.
    Also drinking alot less, cutting ti down to two evenings a week and even then, I have alot less than usual as well. This has als had the added benefit of my sleep improving tremendously.

Weight has increased over January, and is not really shifting unless I sweat buckets on the way home. I still think 80kg is possible but I am not training right yet. I am going to start a training regime from the 12th of this month, looking at working other parts of my body other than my legs.

- Weight 87kg
    - Max speed 48kmph
    - Max HR N/A
    - average BG levels 9.3mmol/L

Overall a poor start, but a good thing about being near the bottom is that there is a long way up which means there is no danger of getting bored at the top or falling off from a height.

So went and had a DEXA scan for another study I am involved in, so will have results from that next week.

- Weight 84.8kg
    - Max speed No idea, haven't used a Garmin in a month but I was keeping pace with the 17 on the N11 this morning, so I imagine I was up on 60kmph
    - Max HR N/A
    - average BG levels 9.5mmol/L

Really annoyed with my glucose levels, as they are actually better but a few issues with the pump becoming detached overnight mean I have really crazy highs for short periods which are skewing the data immensely.

If I use the median value rather than the average, it tells a more honest version of where I am, and that is currently at 7.9mmol/L

Getting a VO2 max test done next week so that will be interesting.

Done a VO2 max test on Friday last but it turns out I have a chest infection so that is likely under what it should be (or so I tell myself). Came in at 49 which is "above average", I was not impressed.

- Weight 85kg - no change. I have made huge changes to my diet but alas, no dice yet
    - Max speed 57kmph
    - Max HR 186bpm - far lower than I expected although I never felt like I redlined
    - average BG levels update later

Started doing non cycling workouts and stretching regimes, which seem to be helping with my lack of flexibility. Who knew you could pump sweat while stretching.
    Will update with glucose data later.

Well the weekend was an eye opener into how far I have fallen over the last six months. Wens out to the Carrick Wheelers race. Stayed in the bunch for the first 10km, happy out, but coming upto the first corner, I didn't push at all, figuring there was a tailwind and I would tag back on. Got round the corner and was already 100m down. I hammered as best I could but didn't seem to have any drive. Held the 100m gap for a bit but the bunch seemed to separate. We came up on an ambulance , half the bunch went round and the other half got caught. I never seen the leaders again . I chased for a buit and was tipping north of 50kmph on my own but once I took the next corner and into the headwind, my enthusiasm failed and I just spun back home. Comms over took me and took my number although I caught them again and overtook them I still just couldn't get the motivation going at all. Slunked back home with only half a race done.

Even more annoying was reports coming back the group stuck together the whole way around and no one pushed so if I had put in a tiny bit more effort, I could have hung in there but considering how slow it was, it was humiliating that I got dropped at all.

My son is going to his second league race in two.weeks as a marshal for the sign on. He declared he wants to be a racer last week after riding his bike independently. He still struggles with the difference between video and real life, he watches videos of teammates put up on whatsapp and then asks where I am. Not in A3 son, not in A3.

That is adorable #melt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

My son is going to his second league race in two.weeks as a marshal for the sign on.

I can confirm that Mini-CramCycle is an excellent marshal and flag-waver. Lads were sprinting extra hard at the finish to impress him :)

First league races down, which were a world of humiliation.

League
    1st - organising
    2nd - Went out with Semi Limit, got dropped after the first turn, stayed 100m behind for about 5km then just waited for limit to catch me. Stuck in with them for another 5km before getting dropped by them. Had a good sprint with a BW racer to the line for sh1ts and giggles but I was well off where i should be.
    3rd - front derailleur cable damaged and I could not get it to go into the large ring, even after fiddling, so I just went to the finish line and then cycled back over the Sally Gap. Bloody cold descending down Old military road and through Glencree with just a small ring.

Racing - went out to the Frank O'Rourke. Was at a BBQ the night before and ended up waking at 3am, covered in cold sweats and needing to stay close to the toilet for most of the night. Decided at 9am I would still go, and sat out waiting for a lift. Got around two laps in the bunch but the clench in my stomach made me have manners and sit in the bunch. After lap 2 though, I could feel that worrying grumble and after the night before, I was not in a gambling fashion, dropped back to the comms and told them I was packing.

Weight is still up and no signs of dropping, when on my track bike it feels like I am needing dough as my legs massage my belly fat: 90kg

• Advertisement

Just out from a hospital appointment on Tuesday. Overall my tests are good but my blood pressure and weight are up noticeably, and something to keep an eye on.
    On deeper investigation they have identified what they think is the issue, and one that explains my inability to get my weight back down, my poor humour, tiredness etc. They have given me a plan of action to work on and am back in just over a month to see if I have done what I am meant to

Also have told me I need to have a more structured weekend, and should be cycling as much on a Saturday and Sunday as I do midweek as it is throwing out my insulin sensitivity.

So just over 10 days since the appointment, my weight has actually started to drop a bit. Almost 2kg. it happened very quickly after I started following my nurses instructions.

2 races this week. Hill climb on Thursday night. Very poorly timed. I started off like the hammers of hell, took the first two corners at speed and after the first bump, I could see my minute man, but then I blew up. It was both a blessing and disguise to keep him in sight, it made me push on even though I felt like I was dying inside, but it also stopped me from taking stock and slowing for a few minutes to recover a bit. When i seen him cross the line I just gave up and barely spun over the line.

Sunday was Eddie Tobin. Cracking weather. First lap was odd, felt oddly uncomfortable in the bunch and very paranoid about my own handling. Second lap there was a huge improvement, gave a few digs off the front, very negative though with a small contingent neutralising everything even though they would have been strong enough to form a break away. i was secretly glad when few of them placed. Third lap started and I got into a drive with a few other lads but the same thing again, three lads who were going with us kept sitting up when they got to the front. After a few km of this, everyone just stopped trying.

Regrettably I found out my pump was disconnected again, on the way home I was close to vomitting, blood sugars through the roof. I thought it was the dehydration. It explains why I suddenly lost the power to move but hadn't bonked. Second time in a year this has happened and it is awful.

So weight has stalled again but more due to me getting fed up with eating well, and generally feeling exhausted for the last week.

Second last race went alot better. One rider managed to get a 45second break in the neutralised section but the rest had manners. As soon as we went through the neutralised section, a lineout formed and 3 of my clubmates went hell for leather and closed the gap from 45seconds to spitting distance in half a lap. A few more drills and we had him. Spent the second lap mixing between the front and the back in equal measure. On the final lap, I worked my way upto mid bunch before the bridge but at 52kmph there were two people pulling away, never to be seen again. The pace never really let up after this and the group split. i held onto the top half and on the turn up Ballysmuttan I was in a good position, got my gearing right and was spinning up. Not comfortable but I could make it. At the hairpin turn though, the group slowed and I had to take an awkward line, there was a load of dust on the road and i nearly came down. I blew up within a few seconds. Probably about 10th but nowhere in contention in the end.

The next week was very run down and not bothered, even my commute seemed like tough work and the want to even get on a bike was gone. Weight started to creep up again and found it near impossible to sleep for 7 days now. Turned upto Corkagh park this week and legs felt like lead but thought, why not. In the first few laps, there were a couple of times were I felt like sliding off the back but I pushed and held on. Half way through I took a stint on the front and even broke away for a little under a lap but nerves got the better of me when I wasn't making anymore ground and was being hung out to dry. I slowed and let them catch me, and thankfully joined in nicely. The pace upped considerably in the last three laps with two clubmates making a break. I held back the temptation to get up and sat in to the back on lap -3. Same for lap -2, with a Lucan rider putting the hammer down to bridge the gap, he got closer but not close enough but coming to the finish line on that lap, I went round the side and into the wind. When the bunch moved left after the first turn I stayed right and went off the front, caught two lads trying to pull away and went round them. Decided then and there to just put the head down and go like the clappers. Coming round the bottom corner, I could see the lineout behind me I kept my speed up, maybe ilked out a smidgen more but I got swamped a few metres from the line. Got a 6th place out of it but if I had focused and been smarter I could have got third. Let the two away and break later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pedal Pusher

So weight has stalled again but more due to me getting fed up with eating well, and generally feeling exhausted for the last week.
    The next week was very run down and not bothered, even my commute seemed like tough work and the want to even get on a bike was gone. Weight started to creep up again and found it near impossible to sleep for 7 days now. Turned upto Corkagh park this week and legs felt like lead but thought, why not.

Can I just say, this makes me feel so much better about my own eating/cycling. I have just come back to cycling after 4 years off the bike and feel like this most weeks at the moment. Good to know I'm not the only one

So the next week was the 25M TT which I was meant to be marshalling but at the line I had all sorted and I was free to go. Stupidly I thought, why not.

First 12km I felt OK, good speed and above 40kmph without overstressed. Wasn't loving it but happy with the time. Then a taxi pulled level with me and pulled across me, I had to turn left and slam on, with us skimming each other. I let a roar. His head never moved, not sure he even noticed, he just drove off. Got back started and was OK to just shy off 20km, I got overtaken by an Usher rider and while I got a brief ego boost trying to catch him, I soon dropped off. A few km later I lost feeling in my testicles and by 30km my TT bars had come lose. It was not going well. The last 5km my spirit gave up. Picked up in the last few 100m but not a great performance. Total time was 1hour and 6minutes. About 6minutes off my best. I could barely stand off the bike and rolled home at a sedentary pace.

Next race was two weeks later and the standard had definetly jumped. 50km race and it went from the gun, not below 40kmph for the first 20km with most of that above 50kmph. A few small let ups but the pace didn't really change until the last 500m where it turned into an A4, wish we were in the tour, imitation race. All started looking at each other and waiting. At this point I was done so just sat up and let them go with 150m left. Bonked on the way home and considering my lack of interest in a sprint up a hill (the only ones I like) I imagine that started a bit earlier.

Diet wise I have gone all out stupid for the past 7 days. Done up a rough guide on required vitamins and minerals, and then went for a low calorie diet. I typically have tried low carb or similar in the past but went for a change of tactic. Eat as healthy as possible with as few calories as possible. Going between 600 and 1000calories each day, coming up as 175 to 225g carbs a day. The only exceptions being if I go hypoglycemic that I can obviously eat to recover.

I also made a point of not weighing myself for most of the week. Last weekend I was governing around the 87kg. This week I am sub 85kg.

It's a pretty drastic drop, and while its great, I am on holidays for the next week and it will be harder to stick to the planned aim and to be honest, that sudden a drop is probably a bit too much too quickly. Will update in two weeks to see whether it sticks.

So coming close to the end of the season. After a year of cancelled races and other events stopping me getting out to races, it looks like I have a clear run at 3 races this month. After which that will be the end of the 2018 races.

The feeding has been a mixed bag but I am glad to say that my weight has not increased again, even after I eased up on my crash diet. Currently a typical day is one or two shakes before 5pm and then a large dinner of meat/fish and a pile of veg. I probably should have dropped another kilo or two but I have had a few days where I have went off the edge. Happy to be at 84kg and not moving bar a little fluctuation up and down. I think if I can have manners for a solid month I could come down to the 80kg without much issue but I am not going to push it just yet.

Finishing up the club league, after two weeks away from it, I can back to a handicap race in Mondello. It was tough getting the group to work together with some riders slowing on the right as we were trying to organise up and overs, and other stronger riders not slowing at all when they did pull over. Held out until the last lap from Scratch. I was leading at the time when one of my own clubs A2s came around me. i jumped and caught his wheel but two more corners and my calf muscle had the feeling that I imagine can only be described as someone cutting a taught guitar string with a razor blade. i rolled in at the back but was happy with what I put in. Next week was Poulaphoca. A slight mix up at the font let half the group go the wrong way. We sat up and waited for their return before taking off again. It was a short race of only 30km so I decided it was time to push where possible. i flew up poulaphouca hill in the wrong gear and my back wheel dancing all over the place as I yanked the bike up the hill. I kept up near the front for all of the uphill bits and stayed mid bunch for the descents. One mistake had me cross to the wrong side of the road, and hands up, all my fault, spooked myself a bit. We came back round to head towards the bridge and a teammate took the front in good TT form, we swapped places and after he gave me a break I dragged him and the bunch up the two hills before the bridge. I sat in on the N81 for a break and started all over again on the next lap. More cautious up Poulaphouca, I stayed neared the back but worked through the bunch on the climb and ended up at the front with a young lad by the descent. The turn back seen the same situation where one of my teammates was doing the chunk of work. Stupidly my ego skyrocketed and near the base of the first climb I tore off and gapped quite a bit. i climbed steady and held the gap to the top when a Blanch rider came over to join me and he gave me a bit of recovery. We were nearly caught when I went to the front and dragged him up the second climb. Alas we were taken just at the short descent to the bridge and I was near the back again with 700m to go. Feeling stupid and feeling the bunch slow in the typical A4 prep for a 100m dash, I went round the outside and put the hammer down much to the disgust of a few in the bunch. First coming over the bridge and north of 50, all was good, 500m and still in front, 400m and still in front. 300m and still in front. 200m and I can feel someone beside me. 100m and I am at the front by half a wheel. 0m to go and I am the last man to cross the line.

Hell of a race but I am glad it is over. Some friendly words from daragh_ mean I have entered the Christie McManus for next week.

After this the Lucan GP a week later as it is on familiar ground, and then the Carlow CC race the following day to finish the season.

A longer post than the FTP thread.

Down under 83kg this week. I did break the healthy rule over the weekend as my partner wanted bold food. Interestingly my "dustbin" reputation may have to be realigned though as I didn't finish the fish and chips on Sunday night as I felt full, like a normal person. At the beginning of the year I would have ate mine, and everyone elses leftovers, followed by a cup of tea and possibly snacks.

Went out for the Ronnie Coates memorial this week. Felt tired at the start but that is not unusual, I think it is psychological as it seems to happen at every race now. Planned to sit in and have manners but one of my team mates was up the front and I went up to tell him that my "go from the gun" comment was more a joke than a tactical plan. Stayed close to the front and on the first time up the double kicker before the finish line I booted oof and pulled away but felt like death when I got to the top of the second bit. The riders caught me and I sat back in to recover. Mulled around at the front, took a few turns. It wasn't slow but it certainly wasn't busting anyones gut. Second time up that double header I done the same thing, recovery was quicker but I decided I would try and be mid bunch the next time.
    Third and fourth time up I was a bit back, didn't feel like death, it was tough after the corner but I was in there and no need to recover, which was nice. At this point I managed my most pro thing of all, about 4 down from the front coming over the bridge, a teammate who was dragging everyone pulled sidewards and was drifting down, his legs were gone and he needed a few seconds break to recover. He was going back to quick though and in my head he was about to fly out the back. As I got beside him, I stuck out the arm and grabbed his jersey and just upped my power to match him to me for speed for a few seconds, it was all he needed. In hindsight it was stupid if he panicked but he got it straight away as something we had seen lads do in the club league for each other. On the final lap, a clubmate asked me how I felt (we are both sitting mid bunch), said the climbing was fine but I had nothing for a sprint or a TT effort. As always the bunch slowed on the rough surface, and as always the Hunt wheels carried me through the crowd without pedalling. About 10 from the front, the rider to my right back must have thought I wanted to come out (i didn't) so he tells me there is space. I figure I'll just go up near the front, final lap and all. I pulled out and the momentum carried me past the front and I just started pedalling. I thought someone would be stupid enough to jump with me so I didn't hammer it but kept pace with what we had done in previous laps. I couldn't feel anyone immediately so kept going but figured the bunch must simply be closing me down so must make an effort not too blow up and just keep a steady pace, be ready to slot in once caught Looked behind a few km later and the bunch were gone (or just round a corner). Tried to keep my head on straight and not do anything to stupid, just keep going. They would form up and catch me. I turned to see them, maybe 300m back and also seen my clubmate come to the front and watch for an attempt to stop me, well he had to be because he is a stronger chaser than me and I would have been caught already if he wanted that. I was getting close to the turn for the climb, knew there was a tailwind here and in every other lap I had taken the bunch by over 100m on the climb. Just as I get to the green/white flag that was my marker to get ready for the turn, one rider bridged across. I shouted to go on but I actually grabbed his wheel. In the few seconds that I focused on him and his rear wheel I missed the lead car turning, and looked at the sign for Newtown Mount Kennedy, wondering why I hadn't noticed it before. As it turns out I hadn't noticed it because I was looking at the marshal. I realised just as I passed, slammed on and let a roar. The marshals at the last turn had left. I skidded so hard it looks like it nearly shredded my tire. Managed to skid 180 as well, which was cool, but I was in a big gear and stopped dead. By the time I took the turn the bunch was nearly on me and ploughed past as I carried nothing into the turn. Finished a few seconds down, gutted. Should have known the turn was there but I was looking out for the marshal so it threw me. Got up the hill and passed a few stragglers, seen the bunch who just dropped me and started gaining on them. Had very little time so when the comms came beside me I put the hammer down again but they passed the line as I had 100m left to go and that was the end of that.

Onwards to the Lucan GP.

A cautionary tale on losing water weight. Feeling a bit lousy over the past two days, after feeling great for the week before. I was finding myself parched but too busy to drink (sounds stupid). I got home from work last night and went to get a pint of water but got called out to a meeting. Ended up going straight to bed without drinking anything. Got up this morning with back pain and aches all over, stood up on the scales before leaving and was down 2kg from 2 days before. I was not hydrated. Drank plenty on the way over but the damage was done. I held in the group but I had no energy to jump or hold off the front. In the end I just rolled in slowly. Hopefully haven't done any damage, and tat I am in better shape for the Carlow race tomorrow. Thankfully the back and muscle pain seems to have subsided with plenty of liquid.

Another year of semi competitive cycling over.
    Down at the Carlow RCC race today. First of all, cracking, good roads, lots of bumps, they really need to promote it better next year as its well worth going down for. I sat in for the first lap until the 10% bump and accidentally went up the left side of the bunch on the line of the ditch (everyone was slightly out). Oddly, I found the downhill tougher after this, and really had to dig in to stay on. Start of the second lap and a team mate went off for a break and I went up the front and was a cheeky sh1t, just dialled down the pace a bit, slowly and almost imperceptibly. Two things went badly for him, the guy he went with had no interest in pushing once away and secondly about two minutes into me dialling the pace back, a rider two back from me copped what I was at, let a roar about team tactics and went after them. Took a few turns on the front but it was sedate on the second lap but still nicely in there. Again the downhill was all out for a few minutes and I was digging in hard.
    Next lap the pace jumped and it was then on, I got up close to the front and stayed in, under the M9 and a few km up the road and with a slight drag I found myself up the front again, and for once i thought, nah, not making an effort. Slowed down and just tipped away. Guy who won Roundwood came around and I could feel people waiting for me to chase but I thought to hell with it, I'll just wreck myself, he made a good gap, and fair play to him, I had no interest in being a pr1ck about each break but alas he slowed on the climb. I tired and everyone swarmed around me and caught him shortly after. I hung onto the back of the group but I knew I had nothing for contesting so a few km from the end I decided to wave the comms on and relax, the legs were tired and that was that. A DWCC rider had come down and I decided to pull in to keep an eye until the ambulance arrived. He seemed fine and more upset about losing his phone than the somersault he performed on top of a rock wall and briar hedge (described by the car that pulled in to check on him).
    A good day out, and lessons learned, really need to practice my jump over the winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement