Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor insurance advice

Options
  • 09-07-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

apologies if this has been asked many times before, just looking for a bit of advice if possible.
    i've no experience of motor insurance and have never owned a car before but am considering buying a second hand car, something that will be cheap to run and tax and insure. To be honest i don't need a car but it would be handy to have one for travelling to work on days when the weather is bad and i've a bit more disposable income these days so it would be a nice luxury to have that i've never previously been able to afford.
    i'm in my late 40's and have a full licence almost 12 months now.
    would anyone have a ballpark figure of what i should expect to pay for insurance or have any tips that would help to bring the cost down as much as possible?
    i could probably justify paying up to 1500 euro for the first year but any higher than that and i think i'd have to give it a miss, is that a realistic figure for starting out at my age, are there any insurance companies that treat older first time drivers more favourably?
    would really appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurers like newer cars with smaller engines.

No ballpark premiums. Impossible to guess. Ring around, or ring a good broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It'll sound strange, but start with Quote Devil.

They're not just for boy racers and ex drunk drivers.

I really like them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

tried quote devil online and they never got back to me. a friend recommended 123.ie but i can't get past the first step, every time i click i am a new driver it diverts me to insurance for under 25's.
    i've seen a few cars i like but without having some idea of what the insurance might cost i can't commit or show my interest.
    are there any good online quote sites out there that are easy to navigate or is it better to ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ooter wrote: »
    tried quote devil online and they never got back to me. a friend recommended 123.ie but i can't get past the first step, every time i click i am a new driver it diverts me to insurance for under 25's.
    i've seen a few cars i like but without having some idea of what the insurance might cost i can't commit or show my interest.
    are there any good online quote sites out there that are easy to navigate or is it better to ring?

Go onto done deal, pick a few cars say a Yaris or Aygo take a reg or 2 down and use these to get a quote.
    This will give you an idea then, no other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

ooter wrote: »

Phone them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Go onto done deal, pick a few cars say a Yaris or Aygo take a reg or 2 down and use these to get a quote.
    This will give you an idea then, no other way.

Exactly. This is the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

1.0l engine, less than 10 years old. Ring a broker for a start. Get a firm insurance quote based on a car registration before you buy a car. Note depreciation on any car will be 1000 per year, and fuel, maintenance e.g. tyres 200 euro, nct, tax.

You could easily be looking 2,000 annual cost plus insurance. Often much higher.

Advertisement