Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoover Apliances

• 18-07-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

In the process of pricing appliances for our kitchen/utility for our new build. Our kitchen manufacturer has priced hoover appliances for us, price seem decent enough but I'm curious about how reliable they are. I have googled a few appliances for reviews but there isn't much out there. Has anybody any experience with the Hoover brand or any suggestions of a brand to go for?

Seems like for every brand out there, there is always someone telling you not to go for it.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Our kitchen manufacturer has priced hoover appliances for us......

All sorts of alarm bells should be ringing in your head when a kitchen supplier tries to steer you to a single brand of appliances. The fact that you have to ask a bunch of anonymous internet users for advice speaks volumes.

The Hoover brand in Europe has gone the way of several legacy breands like Bush, Grundig, Nordmende and Blomberg - the badge on the appliance means nothing because the boxes are now manufactured by a company you've probably never heard of, in China or Armenia.

Something similar to your situation arises from time to time with the Nordmende brand which is owned by an Irish distributor called KAL. The kitchen supplier pushes their appliances and the customer ends up with poor quality appliances and terrible customer care.

Example: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057767447

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Hi,

In the process of pricing appliances for our kitchen/utility for our new build. Our kitchen manufacturer has priced hoover appliances for us, price seem decent enough but I'm curious about how reliable they are. I have googled a few appliances for reviews but there isn't much out there. Has anybody any experience with the Hoover brand or any suggestions of a brand to go for?

Seems like for every brand out there, there is always someone telling you not to go for it.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information/

Happy reading...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Hi,

We bought a washing machine and a dryer that are both Hoover. They were one of the more expensive ones in the shop, but we have had constant problems with both of them breaking down and needing to be repaired. In fairness though they have always been quick to send someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

We've hoover dryer, dishwasher, oven, fridge and washing machine, no problems at all with them so far (have them around 2 years now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I bought a hoover vacuum and hoiver cordless vacuum years ago. They havent got much use because i had mainly laminate floors and usually used a brush or mop

That being said, the quality seemed cheap. They were inexpensive though.

If you're a single person who doesn't cook or a landlord fitting a place with cheap appliances much you might get away with the bottom end of the market. If you're buying for a family or want a bit of luxury spend a bit more for appliances that will last.

I bought a cheap induction hob and had to return it. I paid an extra 120 for an aeg hob and ended up having to get someone to fit it (eelctrician and kitchen guy as hole in cabinet was larger).. . Really pleased with it though . I believe aeg ovens have a good reputation too. So, buy once rather than junk that will give you problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

The first appliance that needed replacing in my house was the Hoover tumble dryer. I think I got 6 years out of it in comparison to my Hotpoint Oven & fridge which are still going strong 18 years later.

The majority of my appliances I got 12 years out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dylan94 wrote: »
    We bought a washing machine and a dryer that are both Hoover. They were one of the more expensive ones in the shop, but we have had constant problems with both of them breaking down and needing to be repaired. In fairness though they have always been quick to send someone.

But you bought them in a shop. So you have a point of contact and a bricks and mortar shop you can go to for post-sales support. Good luck to the OP if he buys a raft of appliance from a kitchen fitter and there's problems with any of them. Cue a stream of unanswered phone calls and general frustration for the lack of follow-up. Go into their office (if they have one) in an industrial estate and kick up a fuss all you like, they'll still give you the run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woofwoof123

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. In fairness to the kitchen guy he wasn’t trying to push appliances on us, he had just included some information about the hoover appliances with the pricing and I was curious about them. Think we’ll be going with the local electrical supplier for all appliances.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

We had a Candy dryer which is Hoover rebadged and we got 8 years out of it with only 1 service call. Had a Hotpoint prior to it and it broke down twice in 18 months. Piece of Junk.

We replaced dryer this year with another Candy and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hoover dryer 9kg working away years bought from power city, had a candy before that and the bleedy thing had problem after problem. Weird thing I think candy and hoover are the same company :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, Hoover, Candy, Baumatic and others are all the same company, which was taken over by Haier a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, Hoover, Candy, Baumatic and others are all the same company, which was taken over by Haier a few years ago.

Interesting read
    https://hubys.co.uk/news-information/2/who-really-makes-your-washing-machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

We got a hoover candy washing machine and a fridge/freezer back in 2012. The fridge had 3 call outs in the first year and continued to constantly over freeze (both fridge and the "frost free" freezer) and it was really noisy. Got sick of it and replaced it 2018.

Washing machine had 5 year warranty, had 2 call outs over that time, first was the rotary switch early on, and the second was the control board near the end. The washing timings are now different, but hey it's still working :)

Wouldn't buy hoover candy again.

Advertisement