Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

• 03-08-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭

Over the past few weeks I have seen a lot of stuff on social media about dogs been stolen social media.
    Mainly people are posting pictures of every car that stops near their has and says they are out to steel dogs.
    I have read that the Gardai found dogs, given them back to people but dogs are sometimes stolen I will admit that or has it become very wide spread over the past few weeks?
    The main thing that makes me a bit skeptical of it becoming wide spread in the past few weeks is those who are sharing it on social media, taking peoples pictures and sharing it online are always a bit hyper about things.(The main in the van is kidnapping all the children).

Are dogs been stolen in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are you scouting for areas that haven’t been done yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What do you expect. Clowns out there are paying 5gramd for a poxy French bulldog now! 800 quid for a.jack Russel. Dogs we used to get for free as kids like.
    Steal them and sell them back is what'll start happening
    Or the dogs will be used as bait dogs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

lol

It takes a special kind of moron to actually believe there are organised groups of criminal dognappers going around in cars hoping to procure some stray isolated collarless dog that will inevitably both $hit and p!ss all over the back of the car once they are flung in the thing.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Anyone who steals another man's dog, deserves to have their b*lls chewed off by a hungry rottweiler!

If hell does exist, there will be a special place for those who harm animals or children! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

My cocker spaniel with blonde ears and a brown body was stolen last week. I rang the guards and they told me to put up a few posters and search ads online. I went to a friends place across town and was telling this story, when their neighbour who was also at the gathering said that they know someone who recently purchased a cocker spaniel with blonde ears. He said it reminded him of Goldie Hawn. He was a bit tipsy, and to be honest so was I, so I asked him if he could show me this dog sometime. He said sure let's walk there, the house is only 10 minutes away. So we go and sure enough I see my dog barking in the window. We went to the house and rang the buzzer. No answer. Left a notice, explaining that they somehow have my dog. I get a call back and they tell me I can have my dog back for a price. How much? Tree fiddy, he says. The end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

buried wrote: »
    lol

It takes a special kind of moron to actually believe there are organised groups of criminal dognappers going around in cars hoping to procure some stray isolated collarless dog that will inevitably both $hit and p!ss all over the back of the car once they are flung in the thing.

Bit of a moronic post,
    lost of reports of people buying dogs in th UK only to find them having an Irish mirochip.
    lots of reports of custom stopping cars and vans at ports and siezing stolen dogs.
    These scumbag "dognappers" dont care what they do to the dogs and arent worried about the dogs do in their crappy Hiace/Transit.

Bit of a moronic post,
    lost of reports of people buying dogs in th UK only to find them having an Irish mirochip.
    lots of reports of custom stopping cars and vans at ports and siezing stolen dogs.
    These scumbag "dognappers" dont care what they do to the dogs and arent worried about the dogs do in their crappy Hiace/Transit.

Show us these reports then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

a spot of dogging

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What do you expect. Clowns out there are paying 5gramd for a poxy French bulldog now! 800 quid for a.jack Russel. Dogs we used to get for free as kids like.
    Steal them and sell them back is what'll start happening
    Or the dogs will be used as bait dogs!!

Who the actual fawk pays this kind of stupid money for a dog??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I was told the dogs are being stolen to train and blood in fighting dogs, they've no interest in selling them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Be right back

Who the actual fawk pays this kind of stupid money for a dog??

I know of someone who paid €1800 for a cavahon. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

dreadful to think that they would be stolen; people would be bereft; and Never be able to deal with the loss.

but, also, - there being so many pets nowadays;- this is the loss of life of the farm animals; literally put to death, for people's food, and pets' food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What’s the likelihood of dogs ending up as bait? It sounds horrific and obviously does/can happen but is it a bit of a boogeyman story?

razorblunt wrote: »
    What’s the likelihood of dogs ending up as bait? It sounds horrific and obviously does/can happen but is it a bit of a boogeyman story?

Bait for what though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

6 stolen dogs recovered in Waterford in the back of a van the other day.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/six-dogs-seized-by-gardai-from-back-of-van-1012989.html

Breeding is the main motivation for this, with spayed dogs being dumped at roadsides. A miniature Jack Russell was stolen not far from me only two weeks ago so I don't doubt that it's happening. I would take random pictures of people with no context on Facebook with a pinch of salt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

I dont know if there is a rise in dogs being stolen.
    There is definitely a rise in idiots on fb sharing pics of a man in a van and accusing him of being a dognapper.
    The chalk/marking/cable tie on the gate thing is so stupid its almost amusing.
    Let's think about this for a minute, so a gang comes over from England to steal dogs.They identify houses that have a target dog by putting a cable tie or some such on it.They then come back themselves or alert another gang to the houses.Imagine the conversation,
    "we've 10 houses in Kildare ready to go"
    "Great send us the Eircode or show us on google maps"
    "No,you'll be able to find them,there's a cable tie on the gate now off you go"

My wife showed me a post on FB the other day. A splat of black on the side of a house. The poster was shrieking about having being marked by dog thieves, and warning everyone in the group to look out of such marks. Loads of likes and supportive comments echoing the outrage at this happening.

One sane person pointed out that it looked suspiciously (exactly) like a dark bird dropping. Cue the geniuses who declare that it couldn’t be bird shíte, because the wall is vertical, and birds poop from the air! So there’s no way a bird could poo on a vertical surface - it had to be dog thieves!

How someone that stupid could manage looking after a dog is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

HBC08 wrote: »
    I dont know if there is a rise in dogs being stolen.
    There is definitely a rise in idiots on fb sharing pics of a man in a van and accusing him of being a dognapper.
    The chalk/marking/cable tie on the gate thing is so stupid its almost amusing.
    Let's think about this for a minute, so a gang comes over from England to steal dogs.They identify houses that have a target dog by putting a cable tie or some such on it.They then come back themselves or alert another gang to the houses.Imagine the conversation,
    "we've 10 houses in Kildare ready to go"
    "Great send us the Eircode or show us on google maps"
    "No,you'll be able to find them,there's a cable tie on the gate now off you go"

Your not very clued in as to what’s going on ... normally a member of an Irish ethnic group drives round houses on the outskirts of a town or village during the day when many people at work , calls to a few houses looking for directions etc . If there’s no one round the dog if it’s of certain breeds and young can be lifted , if someone there mark the house with cable ties for other members to call in the coming 24 hours . When you have gathered 5/6 dogs another relation will bring them to the head man who will have them over in Wales or east England the following day by boat . The original dog catcher will get one or two hundred per dog , handy money on top of your dole every week .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

People here are clearly out of touch.

Its a huge issue.

Yesterday, the 85 year old man who lost his reason for getting up in the morning, 12 year Brandy was reunited with him.

Two spaniels, Topsey and Turvey stolen from a targeted break in in Kiltiernan, one has been found, the other still missing.

Molly the Springer still stolen from Tippersry and is believed to be in the UK.

Louie the JRT stolen from Wexford.

The names go on as does the families grief.

This is serious organised crime and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Your not very clued in as to what’s going on ... normally a member of an Irish ethnic group drives round houses on the outskirts of a town or village during the day when many people at work , calls to a few houses looking for directions etc . If there’s no one round the dog if it’s of certain breeds and young can be lifted , if someone there mark the house with cable ties for other members to call in the coming 24 hours . When you have gathered 5/6 dogs another relation will bring them to the head man who will have them over in Wales or east England the following day by boat . The original dog catcher will get one or two hundred per dog , handy money on top of your dole every week .

Assuming this is all true, how do you know about the inner working of the dog thief gangs? You say the poster isn’t very clued in, but how are you so knowledgeable about it? Where are you getting this detailed information from, and can it and the source be trusted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Over the past few weeks I have seen a lot of stuff on social media about dogs been stolen social media.
    Mainly people are posting pictures of every car that stops near their has and says they are out to steel dogs.
    I have read that the Gardai found dogs, given them back to people but dogs are sometimes stolen I will admit that or has it become very wide spread over the past few weeks?
    The main thing that makes me a bit skeptical of it becoming wide spread in the past few weeks is those who are sharing it on social media, taking peoples pictures and sharing it online are always a bit hyper about things.(The main in the van is kidnapping all the children).

Are dogs been stolen in your area?

Dogknapper sightings are the new Larry Murphy sightings. They are everywhere and drive every type of vehicle.

LuasSimon wrote: »

That sounds like too much work for that crew. I live on the outskirts of a town, work from home for the last 20 years and I have never encountered this, or even heard anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

The missing spaniel was found by Gardai in a targeted raid in Cork, it’s sibling is still missing. While some dogs probably get out of their gardens and get lost, there’s far too many missing for this to be the only issue.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/dog-theft-crime-prevention-advice.html

lol

The issue is with yourself here. There are numerous dogs stolen daily here.

The dog stolen from Wexford had a muzzle glued to its face so it could not bark.

The dog and her seven puppies were stolen in a targeted break in and the mammy dog dumped in Dublin and no sign of the puppies.

7 puppies at 2k each is 14k. That's better than selling drugs with no repercussions if caught.

It is serious organised crime and needs to be tackled.

There are rescue groups working tirelessly to raise awareness and reunite people with their pets.

Your post and your lol shows that you have zero awareness or respect for the work these good people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

anewme wrote: »

The dog stolen from Wexford had a muzzle glued to its face so it could not bark.

The dog and her seven puppies were stolen in a targeted break in and the mammy dog dumped in Dublin and no sign of the puppies.

7 puppies at 2k each is 14k. That's better than selling drugs with no repercussions if caught.

There are rescue groups working tirelessly to raise awareness and reunite people with their pets.

Your post and your lol shows that you have zero awareness or respect for the work these good people are doing.

And they sliced open her neck and cut the chip out, leaving a gaping wound before dumping her. Are people seriously unaware of this??

https://www.irishpost.com/news/horror-as-dog-stolen-from-wexford-found-with-microchip-cut-out-of-her-skin-189052

G'way ta f**k with that sanctimonious wankery man, I have "zero awareness" of it because I'm not on the same social media hype fear fest facebook noise that will amplify one or two dogs going missing as a new crime wave epidemic being waged across the country. I had some gadge last week tried to force me into buying a stolen generator from his van, but I won't be on here trying to claim this is some sort of new crime wave epidemic that we all need to lose our collective $hit over. Bad things happen, but they are small scale.

And they sliced open her neck and cut the chip out, leaving a gaping wound before dumping her. Are people seriously unaware of this??

https://www.irishpost.com/news/horror-as-dog-stolen-from-wexford-found-with-microchip-cut-out-of-her-skin-189052

The people here are clearly living in a cocoon.

Girl in Laois is still tending to her spaniel who was drugged to be taken

Other families tell of a child calling over the dog and seeing the dog being driven off.

One woman saw the vehicle take her 12 year old dog and Gardai did nothing.

Rural people are particularly vulnerable.

G'way ta f**k with that sanctimonious wankery man, I have "zero awareness" of it because I'm not on the same social media hype fear fest facebook noise that will amplify one or two dogs going missing as a new crime wave epidemic being waged across the country. I had some gadge last week tried to force me into buying a stolen generator from his van, but I won't be on here trying to claim this is some sort of new crime wave epidemic that we all need to lose our collective $hit over. Bad things happen, but they are small scale.

You haven't a clue. And save the language please.

There is not "one or two" dogs being stolen.

It's not Facebook noise- it is distraught families trying everything they can to get their pet back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I really wish ppl would not leave their dog tied up outside supermarkets.

More often that not the dog looks distressed and I don't blame them.

Most people passing will just think they look cute and don't bare them any harm but the dog doesn't know that.

And some nick em. So sad.

• Advertisement

You haven't a clue.

lol you've got concern for "rural people" yeah? We got bigger problems out in rural Ireland than a few pets going missing man, so you are the one who hasn't a clue

Advertisement