Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What pub to watch the rugby match in?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for you posters that want to watch a particular rugby game in Galway City or are wondering where your team's supporters go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Howdy,

Down in the city this wknd for a stag (sorry...), one of the lads has touted Garavans to watch the Irish game.

Not familiar with it but heard it's quite quaint/small - sounds cool for a pint but not sure if it sounds right for the game and a bunch of inevitably quite loud males.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks

ps...on the safe side, don't watch the rugby match in Garavans...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Just back from Galway - was there for the week end!! The Kings Head has a big screen and seems to be a popular choice for sporting occasions! There is also a pub outside the town a little, called Monroes, they have a large television which might be good too! Not from Galway, so others may know more! Enjoy the week end up there, its the best place in Ireland (Besides Cork:))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fagans on Eyre Square is a sports bar with lots of screens. O'Connells across the square is a real rugby pub, but small for a large group. Lots of pubs would show the match on a big screen, including Kings Head, Skeff, Busker Brownes, Spanish Arch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

are you familiar with Garavans? Do you think it might be unsuitable for a large group like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Garavans really wouldnt suit, also there is only about one tv(if any) in there as far as I remember. I would suggest Kellys both either upstairs or downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 W00LEY

Anybody know anywhere showing the rugby tonight????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The interwebz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

The interwebz

where on the vast interwebz can i get the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 W00LEY

anyone know any pubs or hotels opening to show to the public????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

Reckon if you head to the Sportsground at 6ish you'll catch it there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

arch's hotel in claregalway are showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

lavaghball wrote: »
    Reckon if you head to the Sportsground at 6ish you'll catch it there...

:o If only this is what they're on about. more interested in Munster than their own team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

:o If only this is what they're on about. more interested in Munster than their own team.

If we keep playing like last week we might get some of those casual fans. See ya up the Sportsground later! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

CONNACHT! CONNACHT! CONNACHT! Shout it loud and proud! See ya tonight fellas!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Just realised that Setanta the **** have moved the match to Setanta 1, instead of the usual Setanta Ireland for Magners League.

Anyone know where in Galway is open to watch the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

On a better note Connacht won, FT Connacht 22 Edinburgh 21. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Hey all,
    Anyone know any pubs that'd be open early, 8.30am to be showing the Ireland vs New Zealand game on Saturday? Preferrably with a tasty breakfast offering??
    Cheers!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Anyone know any pubs that'd be open early, 8.30am to be showing the Ireland vs New Zealand game on Saturday? Preferrably with a tasty breakfast offering??
    Cheers!
    The Salt House on Raven Terrace, I think.

Not sure what the story is with drink or breakfast but I seem to remember seeing a poster there last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Robbo wrote: »
    The Salt House on Raven Terrace, I think.

Not sure what the story is with drink or breakfast but I seem to remember seeing a poster there last weekend.

Tis' a Kiwi pub though.

Loads of spots will be open, just ask about really if you have the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Tis' a Kiwi pub though.

Hey what channels is is on?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hey what channels is is on?
    Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

the salt house will be open.

Also have watched a few matches in the Skeff hotel where you can get breakfast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tis' a Kiwi pub though.

It's always a good idea to hang out with winners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aido123

I am looking for a pub to watch match in the city centre in Galway on Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

We went to the Skeff on Eyre Sq to watch Ireland v New Zealand recently. Decent set of screens.

Also I like Fagan's (under the Meyrick) for afternoon / evening matches, but not sure if they are open early (this game not so early at 11am but still too early :o...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hi There,
    Can anyone recommend a good pub for watching the rugby this weekend.
    Also any recommendations for a restaurant that will take about 12-15 lads for grub. Not a loud or bolshy group but dont want a quiet couples style restaurant either.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭thesandeman

You could kill two birds with one stone by going to Foxs Porterhouse near the railway station. 4 screens, food until 8 and they dont mind large groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

You could kill two birds with one stone by going to Foxs Porterhouse near the railway station. 4 screens, food until 8 and they dont mind large groups.

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 cotzie32

Hey,

Have a few mates coming up at the weekend to watch the match and was wondering what are the best pub in the city to watch the match?
    If it was soccer I would probably go to Monrose or Fagans but don't know where to go for the rugby....

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement