Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New white public lighting

Options
  • 18-12-2014 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Noticed that the council has changed all the public lighting on the WDR just up from the Deane roundabout to white lighting... anyone know why, is it a test for a broader rollout across the city... there's a really different feel to the road at night now as the light is much brighter and more intense

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I don't know but any improvement to lighting most welcome . All we need then is all bikes to get lights and will be a lot easier for motorists

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, white light is better for contrasts and helps visibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    It shows up all the potholes, cracks and dirt on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

jkforde wrote: »
    Noticed that the council has changed all the public lighting on the WDR just up from the Deane roundabout to white lighting... anyone know why, is it a test for a broader rollout across the city... there's a really different feel to the road at night now as the light is much brighter and more intense

I asked the guy who's doing the work (all on his own) and he said it's only for the WDR and a couple of adjacent areas. I think I forgot to ask him who initiated the change.

I think it's an excellent move, and long overdue. Perhaps Councillors are listening at last?
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    New street lights (which I presume are LEDs) are being installed along the Western Distributor Road. Not elsewhere in the city, afaik.

I think this is a major improvement. Apart from the energy saving aspect, the light quality of LEDs is far superior to the standard sodium lamps. There may even be a safety benefit. I have long been of the opinion that those orange lights greatly reduce visibility, which affects both road safety and personal security.

332000.jpg

332001.jpg

biko wrote: »

Spot on. Contrast seems to be an important factor, imho. If you study the second photo above you will notice that there are three pedestrians in view. The two in the LED zone are more visible, it seems, despite being further away.

Sodium vapor lamps emit light only in a narrow spectrum, which does not suit the human eye. I have a theory that law-abiding cyclists and pedestrians are being blamed for not wearing hi-vis in urban areas, when in fact the main problem is poor street lighting.
    A large part of the problem, in my view, is those hideous sodium-vapour street lights.

They are somewhat energy-efficient but produce light only in a very narrow spectrum.

SOX.png

This inhibits vision effectiveness in low light conditions. In my experience pedestrians in particular are not very visible on streets lit by sodium-vapour lamps, and this is made worse by the ubiquitous black tarmac.

The solution is to get rid of the sodium lamps and switch to LED street lighting. In my opinion that would be a win-win situation: better street lighting and lower energy consumption.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/justingerdes/2013/01/25/los-angeles-saves-millions-with-led-street-light-deployment/
    http://www.newscenter.philips.com/main/standard/news/press/2012/201217-led-street-lighting.wpd#.UymDgKiKV8E

Another advantage would be a renaissance in night-time photography. :)

LED_6thStBridgeHPS_40.jpg

LED_6thStBridgeLED2_40.jpg

youngrun wrote: »
    All we need then is all bikes to get lights and will be a lot easier for motorists

What will be easier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What will be easier?

Aim for them and successfully hit them obviously

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I love the white street-lights.

Whatever about visibility, they're just nicer looking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

D Trent wrote: »
    Aim for them and successfully hit them obviously

You do of course realise that some of us are wearing suicide vests* - several kilos of semtex - with impact triggers? :D

* occasionally in dayglo yellow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Easier to see cyclists on road who have lights on their bikes than those who don't.

What will be easier?[/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

youngrun wrote: »
    Easier to see cyclists on road who have lights on their bikes than those who don't.

Actually, I find there's no substitute for a high-vis vest. There are so many small lights around the roads these days that it can be difficult to differentiate between a cyclist's light (on an otherwise dark bike) with them. High vis vest and I can see you a mile off.

Anyway, this is offtopic.

I'd love if the lights all went white again. It suits my noir aesthetic sensibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think it's an excellent move, and long overdue. Perhaps Councillors are listening at last?

It's running costs. I doubt our wise Cllr's had any say in this. Who has the contract for providing public lighting in the City at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

It's running costs. I doubt our wise Cllr's had any say in this. Who has the contract for providing public lighting in the City at the minute?

Airtricity, that's the truck doing the work anyhow... Electric Skyline have the contract for the county according to their homepage spiel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Noticed Airtricity along Ballymoneen Rd yesterday replacing a bulb. Thought it odd to see them just down the road again today until I looked up. Looks like new LED street lamps have been installed.

Has this been happening all over the city? Fair deuce, simple way to save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057346517

Thread above on about it.

Personally find it a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

personally i find it harder to drive with them, im on the road early in the morning and have to drive with the visor down for the glare.

It would be a help if they could adjust the angle of the beam a little i think, good visibility with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Julabo wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057346517

Thread above on about it.

Personally find it a huge improvement.

Wtf...serious case if deja vu on that link. Can't wait to see these lights rolled out everywhere over time. Far far better for city commuting and personal safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Interesting....never understood orange lights, why that colour anyway? Why not red green or something?
    What about light pollution, do the new lights help or hinder this? Will there be a future the familiar orange glows on the horizons lighting up the night skies could be at an end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Interesting....never understood orange lights, why that colour anyway? Why not red green or something?

that'd be the sodium in the lights, sodium's emission wavelength is orange-yellow and it's a very efficient light once the sodium starts to vapourise (needing little current to keep it going)

<Let's keep it on topic. If you want to bring up other towns then do so in their forum or rather Infrastructure forum>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

<Let's keep it on topic. If you want to bring up other towns then do so in their forum or rather Infrastructure forum>
    I really wonder what was said now... I'm all for comparing if it can benefit Galway

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Advertisement